Looking for something?

giffgaff Labs - visit the new Ideas platform

New Message

My idea is to allow free giffgaff to giffgaff calls regardless of if you have topped up your phone with a credit card or if you have topped it up with pre existing credit or previous payback.

I currently purchase my goodybags from my existing credit which is from my payback. However i recently noticed that my free giffgaff to giffgaff has expired presumably because i havent topped up using my own money, even though i purchase a new goodybag with my credit every month . I beleive that this shouldnt happen and free giffgaff to giffgaff should be allowed regardless of what you top up your phone with..

This has put me off using the community and helpng others because my payback is almost irrelivant because the majority of my friends are on giffgaff and instead of receiving this potential unlimited contact with them in having to use up my goodybag allowences.

Change the sign up details in regard to member name when joining giffgaff

by kathleen414 ‎29-03-2015 18:57 - edited ‎29-03-2015 19:22

Good afternoon.

When signing up to giffgaff you are faced with choosing a member name 

and as members first signing up we just put a name and many put there actual name ie Joe bloggs and although it says it can't be changed it doesn't tell you that this choice will be visible to all the community.

Solution :

Although many have asked for a way to change the member name chosen giffgaff say this is not possible

So my idea is .

Instead of Member name :

It's replaced with Community Username 

And it has a warning saying 

This username will be visible to all the community and cannot be edited or changed after you choose and sign up

Please give thought to you choice before you complete sign up.

This should be an easy way to solve any future problems.

If you agree please support by kudos of the idea 

How about letting us buy giffgaff merchandise with our payback, you know like giffgaff hoodies and mugs and stuff.

Ability to EDIT Posts on Mobile Site

by 4128334 ‎19-05-2015 15:27 - edited ‎26-05-2015 22:12

As I use the Mobile Site for all my contribution to the Forum, I find it a nuisance to have to go to the Full Site to be able to edit my posts.
Is it not possible to incorporate a Edit provision on the Mobile Site?
Please excuse if this has been raised before.

Unlimited : Time to go capped ??

by kathleen414 ‎24-08-2014 01:44 - edited ‎27-08-2014 08:54

Idea.. to remove the unlimited goodybags and replace with capped allowances.
If you agree please support the idea

Original idea posted here for discussion and after great support 

After reading many posts on the subject of the unlimited goodybags do you think it may be time to just call it a day ?

Giffgaff seems to be fighting  a losing battle with data chompers and have had to manage the data we have available for the members .

This has had the effect of slowing the available data to the members and after reading many many members complaints about very slow Internet speeds ( assuming it's giffgaffs traffic management) maybe we should just bite the bullet and have realistic capped allowance goodybags.

Yes I understand it's a thorny issue but surely it's better to have say the £10 1g / £12 3g bag and £15 5 gig bag etc with usable data as the new deal well it's just a patch up that won't fix the underlying issues and will come to a head again..
I think let's just remove the unlimited now and we can get on with a realistic capped data allowance that all users can use and not abuse

giffgaff is making an offer of 5GB for £15 which is £3 per GB.

This does not sit well where people are using unlimited at £15 and  then consuming 15 GB  for which they  are only paying £1 per GB.

That makes giffgaff a two teir service as all the low users pay the price of £3 or £4 per GB and so subsidise the heavy users who are only paying £1 per GB.

This is a good reason to get rid of "unlimited" and redistribute the data previously used by the heavy downloaders  to increase the capacity of the lower priced limited goodybags.

Pay for what you use is the only fair way to treat all giffgaf customers.

My worry is that we could lose giffgaff unless we have a realistic profit to product and losing the unlimited seems the best option to me

So after the recent problems with the website. It has I'm sure come to everyones attention that when the website isn't working we only have a thread to update us however the problem I had was also effecting my ability to get on the community to read the thread so I propose if a situation like this should arise again. That giffgaff also send the updates on issues out by text. This would keep us all in the loop on problems even if we are unable to access the community like I couldn't. There were also a lot of posts of people asking why they couldn't top up etc so if everyone was informed of issues by text this would also hopefully cut down on these texts. As well as people who just plain don't use the forums and were trying to top up if we all got a text of service issues as well as an updates they would be kept in the loop too.

So what do you think?

EU Roaming Goodybag

by franbollo on ‎06-11-2014 11:24
It would be good to have a goodybad with mb and minutes to spend abroad

While commenting on another idea about reverting the new design back to the old one due to poor performance, I had a look some the source code and data for the website. I noticed they are some simple ways that the performance could be improved quite simpally.

I ran the page through Page Speed Insights tool from Google which gave a dismal score of 38/100

(Link to results), higher being better. They are two simple modifications that would dramtically improve the performance of the page which I spotted just by looking at the page for a couple of minutes, these shouldn't be there on a website of a modern technology brand.

They both are relating to the full width picture at the top of the page. This causes a major delay when loading the page due to its large size (2.1MB), the next largest object for comparison around ~250KB. According to Page Speed tool from Google for website developers this image could be resized and compressed without lossing signicant visual quality by 78%, saving 1.4MB.

Secondly this image is set only to be cached for one and a half hours. Caching means it is stored on your computer so you don't have to load it from the web again. This means after one and a half hours you have to download the image again. I can't see why the image cannot be set to be cached for 1 month at least. This means every time you went to the giffgaff page in a month you wouldn't have to spend data and time downloading the the image.

giffgaff should spend some time working through the simple fixes to make the website faster for all of us. This would improve the brand as well as slow pages just put people off companies, espically technology companies.

Personalised Goodbags

by elijoby12 on ‎03-01-2015 17:31

GiffaGaff For The People By The People. (I love this idea) 

So my idea goes like this- Instead of having set plans i.e £12 for so many minutes, texts, and data; you have the option to pick how many minutes, texts, and data you want. The cost is processed from the relavant ammounts you choice, and everyone is happy (hopefully).

I'm not sure if this makes much sense (the festive times have certainly catched up with my senses) so I've attached a picture I created on paint. You're welcome to even use my wonderful 'slider' idea and the catch phrase. 

Peas x

Unlimited Goodybag, Tethering Option

by i_am_sy ‎10-01-2015 15:41 - edited ‎11-01-2015 19:00

Currently when someone trys the tether on a unlimited goodybag they are blocked for 30 minutes, this is the right thing to do as they could abuse the data, however it creates a issue, anyone who buys a unlimited goodybag thinking that they can tether is now stuck, we can only advise them to get a limited goodybag next month that alows tethering.

So anyway the member has been presented with a 30 minute block, this causes them to kick off on the help board as they have not seen that it says you can not tether.

My Idea:

Add a option to the goodybag, to go limited for the rest of the month and allow tethering.

The unlimited goodybag is going back up to its £20 price point soon so i think a fair amount of data would be 8GB, all the members usage up to this point would be deducted from that amount, so if they have used 4GB of there unlimited so far they would have 4GB left that they can then tether.

The option to go limited can be shown on there dashboard with a counter of how much data they would have left if they chose it, and can also be on the 30 minute block page, if seleted it would instanly unblock internet access.

Please vote for this idea by clicking Kudos.

Phone Number Pricing Tool

by I boldly went... bertiebat ‎05-12-2014 20:46 - edited ‎09-12-2014 20:48

I think it's time for giffgaff to provide a more helpful method of checking what charges will be made for ALL types of phone calls and texts by creating a number checker tool.

This could be available both on the website and the giffgaff app.

The pricing pages https://giffgaff.com/index/pricing http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning-and-giffgaffer-articles/Special-Charges-Code-of-Practice/t... contain a lot of information on checking the first few characters of the number to see what type of number is being dialed and sometimes even tables of exceptions and differing rates on the prices and what pricing models will be used.  

They are not the easiest pages to navigate and I'd prefer that a standardised output giving all the current information for ALL types of numbers be developed.   

For instance most people have the idea that all numbers begining with 07 are ALL standard UK mobile numbers but in fact it depends on the next 1 or 5 chars as to whether they are special numbers charged at non inclusive higher credit only rates.   Eg. Numbers beginning with 070 are personal numbers charged at 50p and a range of other 07.... are non mobiles which are charged at 20p for calls and 8p per text.

There are even some '01' prefixed numbers which aren't part of the normal landlines number but are Channel Islands or IOM numbers which are charged at international prices.  http://www.area-codes.org.uk/uk-offshore.php

This type of analysis is much better suited to be done by a computer rather than a human eye so I propose an automated tool to do this job instead.  :smileyhappy:

This tool could be added to the existing giffgaff app as well as available on the website.

For a full analysis please refer to my thread in contribute.

Once this tool has been set up for online use in including availability on the giffgaff app it might also be nice to have a non data option (for those without internet access) by providing this by text.

Simply text PRICE followed by the number to 43430 and giffgaff could use this tool to return a suitably formatted text by providing the same information as the online form.   Obviously this is for a later date once the online version has been sorted, but no harm in also mentioning it in this idea as a future expansion.

A further expansion could be to select the country calling from (by default this would be the UK).

So far I can't find a reason why this couldn't be developed (just a case of rationalising the existing numbers into their component parts and creating a table linking to using the existing expansion tables where needed).

Simple to use tool for those that need costing information without having to analyse the complicated pricing structures.

Much more professional looking than the existing pages.

Simpler to update (no website maintenance required when pricing is updated).

Helpful tool for those helping on the forum and agents to ensure that they are giving accurate help on pricing issues.

So if you would like to see this happen then please add your vote using the kudos button. Smiley Happy

voicemail costs

by kerensac on ‎12-05-2015 00:05

i think when you get the 3 months free giffgaff mins you should also get 3 months free voicemail, it is still giffgaff your phoning so it should be covered by the giffgaff free calls i had to go 2 weeks without money in my phone and had voicemail but couldnt listen to them till i topped up 1 was from my land lord as i finaly found out after 2 weeks when i topped up to listen to it but people that leave messages think you will get the message which is why they leave a message, they pay to leave a message then we pay to hear it, something should change with that but even if its free voicemail for the 3 months with our giffgaff mins would be so much better

Thread limit

by auntied on ‎08-02-2015 11:35

Ok....so we all know we only get 50 kudos to use in any one 24 hour period, and once they're used you have to wait for them to kick back in again!

Well my idea is along the same lines, but with thread making! We see it time and time again, someone flooding the S:GD board with up to 10 threads in the space of 10 minutes, but never returning to answer questions that members may have asked.

And lately it's gotten worse! It's prolific amongst certain members, maybe they think the more threads they make the more payback they'll receive! But as we all know, it's quality NOT quantity that counts!

So how about a thread limit? Maybe only being able to make 3 threads in any one hour period and with at least a mandatory 10 minutes between each thread made?

And i think that is still being generous!

I know there's a similar idea on here somewhere, but that one would've still been open to abuse with regards the amount of thread making!

Hope this all makes sense! Smiley Happy

pause on goodybags

by kerensac on ‎03-04-2015 21:54

would it be possible to pause a goodybag if you go abroad on holiday for 2 weeks you cant use any of your goodybag while your away so would it be possible to pause the goodybag for a time limit of 2 weeks or whatever you pick till you come back even if you only have so many times your able to use it, seems a waste if you pay for a months goodybag and only get to use it for half the time

Fix Default Goodybag On 3G Phones

by dylanhere ‎20-05-2015 21:33 - edited ‎20-05-2015 21:34

If you're looking at buying a phone from giffgaff, and you're not already a giffgaff customer, you have to take a goodybag to purchase a phone. However, on 3G phones, the default goodybag is 4G. While this is not completely useless, as it will be restricted to 3G only, paying the extra price for the same amount of data at the same speed is pointless. Of course you can change the goodybag yourself; not everyone will think to do this though. I think that giffgaff should make it so that the default goodybag is 3G, when trying to buy a 3G phone. Thanks.

I've created a short clip to show the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31a4qtUKfs

1 June 2015 sees the launch of a radically revised Payback system which it is hoped will vastly improve the quality and caliber of the answers on the, 'Help & Support' platform.

It is sincerely felt that by rewarding knowledgeable members with the new enhanced graduated payback scheme which will see payments of up to £85 (+£15 regular) a month given to high quality answers posted by boni-fidi members.

One of the main criteria for achieving enhanced payback under the new system is getting the OP to set a Best Answer (BA) for the question they posted. The more BA's the more payback earnt.

The puzzle that exists is that for some reason a lot of OP 's fail on a number of occasions to set BA despite reminders. Educators do their best to rectify this by reviewing answers on threads and in default setting BA's which in their opinion reach the required standard of quality. This is all time and energy intensive and not ideal.

How do we encourage say newcomers, for example, to routinely set a BA, so it is second nature to them?

My solution is this, once the the OP sets a BA to their question the OP will automatically receive a higher ranking along side their giffgaff username. There would be a cap on how many improved ranks in a month, any OP would
be allowed to gain, perhaps five ranks at most. This idea would not cost giffgaff a penny it would merely be a fast-track to improving your rank, at the same time rewarding the BA who would benefit by potentially receiving extra payback and freeing up Educator's time,, for their
other roles including their encouragement of newcomers to join in and contribute to the community.

No 'expiry date' on gigabags

by theoriginalgiff on ‎06-11-2014 16:25

I'm new to both giffgaff and the whole message board/forum thing, so forgive me if this has been covered already, but I'd like to suggest that - as with airtime credit for calls and texts - why not scrap the expiry time on the gigabags? Why not work it so that the gigabag lasts until the user has used up all of their data allowance, rather than simply expiring after a month?
This would be helpful to lighter data users, who might take 2/3 months to use-up their allowance.

If you like the sound of this, why not get on-board!

Thanks Smiley Happy
Ok so this should be an easy one to implement and quite worthwhile too. Today I helped a new GG user register and activate the new SIM card. From memory, on the very first page it asks for the name, with a pretty stern warning to think carefully as this cannot be changed in the future!

Even though I'm a seasoned giffgaffer, it was not immediately obvious to either of us whether it was expecting the inputting of the users real name, or a made up username.

So as it could not be changed later, we decided to play safe and enter her real full name. Only then did it become fairly clear that it must be the latter required as it threw an error due to us entering forename and family name separated by a space. Spaces are not allowed in that entry, so it would not accept the input.

So we changed the entry to a single word username, which was accepted. As we progressed through the subsequent pages it then did ask for real name and address etc. So it all becomes clear, though somewhat after the event.

My idea is to simply add some more guidance text to that pretty bare first page of registration to take away the doubt. It should explain precisely what it is expecting ie a one piece made up user id/login name and password. It should also advise that this username will be subsequently publicly visible on any future community discussion posts etc. it could also advise that real full name etc. will be entered on subsequent pages of the process but that will not be published anywhere.

It just needs a bit more detailed help text on that early sim activation/registration page so that the GG user experience at this very early stage is improved. There should be no need to find out by trial and error just what input it requires.

Hope that's clear, it's tricky to explain here but I think anyone who has gone through that process recently will know what I'm alluding to.

Please kudos top left if you agree with this simple idea proposal.

Thank you.

Data rollover

by tomhaigh93 on ‎10-05-2015 11:49
If you have unused data from one month, it rolls
Over to the next month and adds to your new data for that month. After that month it expires and the excess data from that month rolls over.

Like many others I enjoy sharing pics with the community and understand why there is a 333k limit for the pic size, trouble is that even on the lowest settings my phones camera comes up at around 500k so of no use until i convert them using a seperate program. A pain when I am out and about.

Have a word with Lithium to see if you can incorporate software like Facebook do that reduces file sizes automatically, saves us having to waste time doing it Smiley Happy