Archive: Service Updates

enigma
mgb2

Re: [Heads Up] - Change in Mobile Internet Checks

[ Edited ]

sbernard1 wrote:
I was aware there are different rules here for LOL suits.
But you note I said file a claim in any suitable venue.
I have not taken any legal advice yet but when its time to I will
I have a friend with a Law Degree and I will make sure I receive the benefit of her counsel in this matter

by which time the goalposts will have moved... good luck

i'm as peeved about the situation as you, but as i'm unfortunate to live where only 2g is available the whole argument is pretty acedemic & meaningless for me.

I simply don't imagine the 'lawsuits' you seem to envisage.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
be nice, kudos where due, solution if earnt
marks7389
Topics: 2
Kudos: 204
Best Answers: 50

Apart from anything else I can't see it would really be worth anyone taking legal action individually for a £10-£25/month service, and class action isn't an option in the uk.....

I really don't see how you could ever claim more than one month's service, as you'd already know the bar was in place if you subsequently chose to renew the goodybag.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
beginner
jakethesnake

Strictly speaking, the contract you agreed to when first joining could probably be changed every month and by paying for another month, you are agreeing to the new terms automatically. I know I wont stay if things start changing for the worse. I have just joined recently and am being put off already.

If it sounded too good to be true, then it was too good to be true. 

sbernard1

It's not about the money...its the PRINCIPLE and don't underestimate the power of a commited group of individuals to make a positive change in the state of affairs.  The mobile network run by me does not play fast and loose with the truth, the network run by me endeavours to be transparent and honest in all its dealings with all members.

The mobile network run by me GIVES THE PEOPLE UNLIMITED DATA because thats what they advertised.

The mobile network run by me Does not hide invisible Data tripwires and usage amounts and then continue to ADVERTISE UNLIMITED USE.

You cant have it both ways it is either unlimited or it is not. If it is not unlimited then EVERYONE has a right to know what the LIMITS ARE EXACTLY precisely and expressly. 

My network is simple, honest and reliable. I can afford to pay more and I do...to another network this was an experiment

I liked the idea that someone was endeavouring to create  a network that gave people true value for money.

If this is not going to be that..and INVISIBLE DATA CAPS are going to be levied and  BANS implemented ..then where is the fairness and transparency in that.

I fully expect to give Giff Gaff the full value of every single Pound I spend in the next 30 days.

David slew Goliath...and I for one am not afraid of a fight.

Join us Folding for a Cure! www.http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team Giffgaff: 225473
enigma
mgb2

jakethesnake wrote:

Strictly speaking, the contract you agreed to when first joining could probably be changed every month and by paying for another month, you are agreeing to the new terms automatically. I know I wont stay if things start changing for the worse. I have just joined recently and am being put off already.

If it sounded too good to be true, then it was too good to be true. 

it has been good, but the new ASA rules about the word 'unlimited' will force a fup / cap (or even stop using the word!!!) by April 1st...

i'm sure giffgaff will still have some decent deals but, i'm equally sure things are going to change for the worse

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
be nice, kudos where due, solution if earnt
marks7389

[ Edited ]

@jakethesnake, Not sure how much you use but that is the core of the issue. The reason giffgaff say unlimited is that it enables them to attract many customers who want peace of mind to use data when they are out and about with no worries. For 99% of those people their data usage is at a level that they can support on that basis.

So the question is how do they continue to attract the 99% and allow them to continue doing what they do with peace of mind, whilst setting a clear limit for or appropriately charging otherwise very heavy users?

The reality as you point out is that anyone reading the forums/twitter etc. knows that it isn't really unlimited, and that probably raises concerns with some if those using far less data.

**Edit - spelling**

Get a free giffgaff Sim
marks7389

@sbernard1, I agree with the principle that giffgaff should deliver in line with what they advertise. However I suspect you would be in the very small minority taking it that far on principle.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
khairul
Kudos: 2,890
Best Answers: 149

marks7389 wrote:
Not sure how much you use but that is the core of the issue. The reason giffgaff say unlimited is that it enables them to attract many customers who want piece of mind to use data when they are out and about with no worries. For 99% of those people their data usage is at a level that they can support on that basis.

So the question is how do they continue to attract the 99% and allow them to continue doing what they do with piece of mind, whilst setting a clear limit for or appropriately charging otherwise very heavy users?

That's the dilemma which Craig was hinting at, and he turned to us for help.

He quite likes the idea of speed-limited unlimited internet for heavy users, so that is probably be what giffgaff have chosen to do.

Click here to order a giffgaff standard/Micro/Nano SIM and get £5 EXTRA CREDIT free with your first top-up! UK first class & international delivery available
sbernard1

Don't let this little dust up sour your perception... Growing pains are common in any enterprise.

If you dont see the data cap and run into it and get banned summarily...thats a problem.

One person one phone one sim..or computer...if the network can't handle that then big problem.

Super Users..there will always be people who are on the bleeding edge of tech...they will be taxing the mobile device and the network...its Giff Gaffs job to keep up their end of the bargain...and meet their needs...and to me if they are BANNING people for using the unlimted data on a mobile device , then they have failed...its not like one person is running an internet cafe over his phone...or operating his webserver tethered to his Iphone.( I hope)

Giff is going to try and settle this and I will watch and see..I won't be promoting it or giving any sims out until its settled.

I will be signing up with a contract to another network for data dongle and will use this experience to get the most that I can for as little as I can possibly pay. £35 is what I pay now..so if I actually get UNLIMITED web and it does not cost me any extra...then fine

Giff Gaff wont miss my £10 a month and I wont miss mealy mouthed Unlimited but you cant stream data service

sbernard1

I have had a question raised in the house of commons and my Mp knows my name, the last time I stood up for a principle a slum landlord was fined £5000 quid and his building was declared unfit for human habitation. I am not one to mince words and I mean exactly what I say precisely. My word in life is my bond and I am never ever late. Consider that a benefit of military training.