Archive: Service Updates

trainee
jackk14

Re: Information on porting issues and ports for Friday 27th April

Finally making what is a brave, but right decision.

Possibly could've been implemented a little sooner but better late than never. Good move GG
rochessel
Kudos: 1,696

Good idea I have always thought people should port at the start of the week due to these porting issues.
Agree with oldyorkie cancel all Friday ports would be a good move till things are fixed!

Really happy to hear this big issue is being looked at and fixed! Hopefully more happy giffgaffer :smileywink:
Next job hopefully is the agents :smileywink:
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

enigma
mgb2

Let's hope this addressess the underlying issues that cause the problems in the first place.

until that's done, I fully support NO FRIDAY PORTS at all. (oldyorkie)

and lets hope the agents are next for a 'fix'. (rochessel)

Good news

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
be nice, kudos where due, solution if earnt
handy giff-staffer
nigel

[ Edited ]

OK ... to address some of the comments,

- there are three levels of teams looking at the problems overall, the Agent team in tracking, identifying and updating cases, the 3rd party support team who are manually re-provisioning, then the 3rd party tech team who are looking at the root cause and what can be done, so we can run the support of this on all levels.

- anyone requesting a port on Friday will be told that we will be porting on Monday, usually we confirm your port day as part of the process anyway, but in this case the comms will be slightly different.

- we havent recoded the site to automatically not allow requests for Friday, as we hope this will be needed on only a few occassions

- if there are people who still have port issues for several days, then you can escalate through the educators use this link to see which Eds are on line at the moment (cos you'll get a quicker reply)  http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Need-to-Contact-an-Agent-Handy-Links/m-p/11...

Nigel

virtuoso
rong42

[ Edited ]

removing ports on Fridays completely seems a big step to me, personally I think it would be better for technical support to work through the weekend

i too hope the agents are up next for a fix, but do you mean:

• the 404 error when trying to send a message to agents?
  • link to ask an agent not working (redirected to dashboard instead)?
  • agent messages / cases randomly disappearing?
  • lateness of agent replies (ie over 24 hours)?
  • poor agent responses (ie apparently not reading question / use of 'standard responses')?

edit: :smileywink:

handy giff-staffer
nigel

.. and the one I forgot...

Its Ofcom legislation that we accept ports to happen on the next business day, so unless we all go on holiday every Friday, which would be a great idea in so many other ways as well, once things are fixed we have to continue to port on a Friday.

Nigel

virtuoso
rong42

nigel wrote:

- we havent recoded the site to automatically not allow requests for Friday, as we hope this will be needed on only a few occassions

sorry to jump on this, but does this mean that you are foreseeing a real likelihood of having to not do ports on future Fridays, ie not just this Friday (27th)?

handy giff-staffer
nigel

@rong42

I can tell you that the teams are working on the frst three of the issues you mention, to do with raising cases, cases missing, links not connecting ... they all have the same root cause in some of the API calls between the portal and the tool that cases are raised in

the last two are more of a process and quality improvement and I know that there's been a lot of work in that area in the last 6 weeks and I hope, like you, this improves ...

Nigel

handy giff-staffer
nigel

We are getting updates from our suppliers on the details, but this specific issues is a problem between 2 of the technical suppliers that giffgaff work with. I have been told what they believe the issue is and that there is a scheduling solution that will fix this.

If this works then we will only do this for this Friday.

If it doesnt then we will continue to investigate the problem and see if we can find a solution that will work.

One of the challenges that we have is in making judgement calls based on what others tell us, the case for any job or company.

So I am hopeful that we will be porting fine next Friday, but there is a chance we wont

Nigel

pjr

Thanks again for thd feedback Nigel. Things are hopefully looking up with regard to this issue.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim