Archive: Service Updates

aspirant
robbie28
Best Answer

May 17 O2 network outage in South East (Resolved)

[ Edited ]

We have been notified by O2 that there is a network outage affecting parts of the South East and Kent since early this morning. Engineers are on the case. We will post updates when we hear more.

Update on 17-05-2011 10:03

Hi Guys,

The following is the latest info we have on the outage.

The affected services for both giffgaff and O2 are 2G & 3G voice and data services.

The following areas are affected:

North & East London, Kent and East Sussex.

Here’s two maps showing what’s going on.  Red area shows where we’re having problems.  Blue area shows where we’re working as normal.

Map for 2G Coverage

2g area of impact1.JPG

Map for 3G Coverage

3g area impact1.JPG

Update on 17-05-2011 13:22

Official Update from O2

We sincerely apologise to affected customers and will update progress regularly. We continue working hard to address the issue affecting services in parts of N and E LondonKent and E SussexThis was caused by theft and vandalism at one of our operations sites in E London

We are continuing to work incredibly hard to restore service.

Update on 17-05-2011 20:59

Update from O2

Following the theft and vandalism at one of our operational sites in E London, we have been working hard to resume normal mobile service to N and E London, Kent and E Sussex. 

Some affected customers were able to make calls again from 4.30 pm today and service across the region is being restored now with a few pockets of no coverage still remaining.

We are carefully monitoring this throughout the night. 

Hello,

After close monitoring by engineers our 2G & 3G voice and data services in North & East London and South East areas are fully restored.

If you’ve got any questions, call your customer service team on the usual number. Let them know this reference number: 7218296.

We’re sorry again for any trouble we caused you.

Kind regards

The O2 Incident Analysis Team

Robbie Hearn
Ex member of the giffgaff team, still fond admirer
newcomer
talos

Re: May 17 O2 network outage in South East

Ah, that would explain it then!

Ty for the update!

Hmm.. its been said the problem with giffgaff is that you dont have the whole customer support thing.. yet this is the first network I have been on where i get the answer i need to my question within 30 seconds on looking for it.

Yet another Thumbs Up for giffgaff!!

beginner
nikzgfx

Yup o2 issue, my sisters o2 is down as well as others in the East London area. First time in a long time. Thanks for posting this issue.
newcomer
starmanuk

Yeah mine too in the south east essex area. Well at least I found an btfon hotspot to get infomation from.
spider079
Topics: 49
Kudos: 551
Best Answers: 54

Texts don't send. :smileysad: from kent
newcomer
miggymobile

no texts, no calls. aaarrrggghhh.

someone on Twitter is saying that it was a sheduled outage...?.... any ideas if this is true? and if so, when will it be over?

miggy.x

newcomer
ritchie

Snap here my whole family has just switched to giffgaff and woke this morning to find no service ! turned my netbook on and there is the answer, its probably a bunch of local what you likeys nicked the cable from a mast !

dabbler
stustaff

[ Edited ]

been in Greenwich and cnary wharf and NO o2!
but i turned iphone onto airplane and back again and I can get data!

try that if you are desperate...

I should add I checked status on o2 website fist! says everything is fine....

Giving kudos to someone that asks for it is like feeding your dog when it begs! it only encourages bad behaviour!
newcomer
hifzax

how long do you reckon its going to take?

skinnydan
Topics: 8
Kudos: 68
Best Answers: 3

awww, me, my brother and my mum are all on giffgaff and needed to speak to them both this morning, i am on the se london / kent border, oh well, i guess i'll have to wait, cheers for the info giffgaff

Skinnydan