Archive: Service Updates

aspirant
robbie28

Some more information on our data Fair Usage Policy

In keeping with the giffgaff principle of being transparent, I thought I'd share with you some details on how we are managing our policy on fair usage of data. As you know, we're not charging for data usage until May 2010, but we are asking that you keep your data usage below 100MB per day.

The reasons for that are partly due to cost - we have to bear the cost of providing the data; and partly about protecting quality of service - if lots of Members use lots of data simultaneously and for long periods then the network gets congested and the service for everyone suffers.

So, 100MB a day it is - which we think is more than enough to cover normal use; and we have a couple of rules like not using your SIM as a mobile dongle for a computer, and not using continuously streaming media.

The way we're enforcing the policy is by monitoring the volume of data usage. Every day we get a report that shows the amount of data used for each mobile phone number with an active giffgaff SIM. The report doesn't contain any personal information like name or address or even the username attached to the mobile number. The report also only shows the total amount of data used in MB - it doesn't have any information about the content of that data.

We then review the list, using common sense rather than an automatic rule, and make a list of any numbers that we decide are crossing the line of fairness. We don't make any decisions based on a single day's usage, but rather on the pattern of usage over a week or so. We then look up the Members associated with those numbers and contact them by email and SMS with a reminder of our policy and a request to reduce their usage.

If a Member receives this message but does not reduce their usage then the next step is to bar data usage on that Account. In order to get the data bar lifted the Member will need to contact us and we will consider each request on a case by case basis.

So far I'm happy to say that everyone is pretty much playing fair with data. We have only issued the 'warning' message to two Members and have not had to bar anyone from data usage.

You can see how we made the decision to issue the two warnings in the extract of our daily data report that I've inserted below  - with phone numbers removed of course - and the two cases highlighted.

We think this is the fairest way to manage data usage, please let me know your thoughts.

Extract of our data report - with decisions marked:

day 1 day 2 day 3 day 4 day 5 day 6 day 7
34.4 0 0 279.17 2.35 0 0   - no warning
0 0.23 0 0 0 0 0
1.89 0.11 1.92 2.96 3.49 4.48 3.87
0 0.23 0 0 0 0 0
0 0.22 0 0 0.33 0.18 0.24
0 20.9 34.65 0 0 1.08 1.21
0 2.09 1.4 1.26 0 0 0
0 0 4.92 0.36 0 0 0
1.46 0 0 0 33.32 0 0.13
188.92 46.05 0 0 359.76 0 294.29   - warning issued
0 3.87 14.51 4.63 4.33 3.34 3.87
0 71.59 41.28 27.91 41.15 7.82 9.01
93.08 178 194.18 66.75 200.8 72.33 125.78   - warning issued
0 0 0 0 0 0 0.11
0 0 0 0 0 0.12 0
0 0 0 0 17.97 72.39 102.14   - no warning
0 0 0 0 0 0 1.42
0 0 0 0 0 1.63 11.21  

Robbie Hearn
Ex member of the giffgaff team, still fond admirer
counsellor
bigfatbball2

Re: Some more information on our data Fair Usage Policy

Fair enough - first warned probably had some modem usage going on

- second warned was slightly over the FUP regularly - offloading to wifi at home could probably help him out

Only surprise is that it's based on only a week not a month really as one can use much more or much less from a week to another depending on what is going on.

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 4S 32GB White > HTC HD7 with Windows Phone 7 Mango
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
apprentice
dangaff

No gripes at all with the policy, but would be good if could get one's own data usage in same format as this report on the dashboard.  It might also be an idea to offer option to have an alert sent if approaching limit (e.g. set to be alerted if get to 80Mb in the day).  I also wouldn't mind having option so users only can see usage breakdown with sites visited - so can identify sites which might have 'bloat' and account for disporportionate data usage.

maestro
commsyeo

dangaff wrote:

No gripes at all with the policy, but would be good if could get one's own data usage in same format as this report on the dashboard. 

There is another thread about usage reporting on the dashboard - calls, texts, mms and data. In the meantime I use my phone log by resetting the counters to zero each day and then checking the value in the course of the day. It is a bit of a fiddle but it is my responsibility to stay in the FUP. (Actually, I have never got within 20% of the FUP).

CY

former giff-staffer
vincent

commsyeo wrote:
 (Actually, I have never got within 20% of the FUP).

CY

In all honesty, it's unlikely anyone would with normal usage. Only when you start to tether would you easily go over the limit I think.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
pupil
bkfromcatford

dangaff wrote:

No gripes at all with the policy, but would be good if could get one's own data usage in same format as this report on the dashboard.  It might also be an idea to offer option to have an alert sent if approaching limit (e.g. set to be alerted if get to 80Mb in the day).  I also wouldn't mind having option so users only can see usage breakdown with sites visited - so can identify sites which might have 'bloat' and account for disporportionate data usage.

I agree with dangaff, it would be very useful to be able to check our "official" data usage, and perhaps to receive an alert if we are edging towards the limit. The latter would be particularly useful for those who have just got their first "smartphone"  and are keen to try out everything available (until the novelty wears off !). I think the idea of breaking the information down to sites visited may complicate things a bit too much, but some general guidance on the data usage for some common applications who be useful. For instance, does anyone know how much data is shifted when using Google maps (or Google tracker) over fairly long journeys ?

Bill

Bill
markda2000
Topics: 4
Kudos: 4
Best Answers: 0

It really depends on what type of phone you haveas to whether it is easy to reach the fair usage cap, a nokia 6303 for instance could not get to the fup if used all day constantly downloading, A Palm Pre or an iPhone, or one of the latest smartphones could hit the limit in a couple of hours. Again it depends on what you do, a twitter account uses relatively little data, downloading video will consume lots. It would be interesting to know how much I use as my phone is connected all day but I am in and out of Wifi areas too which will mean that I am only using the GiffGaff service for part of the time.

markda2000

GiffGaffing a Palm Pre 3, HTC One X or iPhone 5 - whichever phone suits my needs for the day

http://twitter.com/markda2000
former giff-staffer
vincent

Most smartphones have a app store which you can visit. And I think all of these stores will have a widget which you can download which counts the amount of data you use. I use one myself on the Nexus. It's called datacounter or something similar.

Now I've checked to see how data I've been using, and although I use facebook, twitter, my emails, some browsing and a few other apps, I am not getting anywhere near the 100mb cap.

However if I would use youtube continuously or bbc iplayer to watch full length movies/tv, it would take me a whole two hours before I reach the daily cap. So I don't think people have to worry too much about reaching the fair use policy with normal every day use to be honest.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
mentor
geekonthepc

Hi 

I know you say you'd like us not to use our mobiles as dongles for our computers, but having said that, if we stay below the 100MB per day why is that causing you a problem?

I don't want to sound rude or anything as I love your concept and think moving to giffgaff will be one of my best choices I've made in a long time, but if I'm away from time to time and now and then want to hook my phone up to my PC to make use of it's internet facilities, is that a problem to you as long as I steer clear of that 100MB per day limit?

I'm fine if you have a problem with this, but could you explain why?

Many thanks

A little bit lost with your new network? Have a look at my handcrafted online manual - head over to the giffgaff bible. It explains everything you need to know. :smileyhappy:

That little star on the left can make my day :smileyhappy:. If I've said something that's useful, feel free to press it. Thank you. :smileyhappy:
mentor
geekonthepc

Anybody?

A little bit lost with your new network? Have a look at my handcrafted online manual - head over to the giffgaff bible. It explains everything you need to know. :smileyhappy:

That little star on the left can make my day :smileyhappy:. If I've said something that's useful, feel free to press it. Thank you. :smileyhappy: