Archive: Service Updates

newcomer
dansus

Re: Some more information on our data Fair Usage Policy

No i dont tether or use voip but its nice to have the option. Mainly dl audio podcasts.

marvel
andy0

commsyeo wrote:

Yes, he does. At the moment there is a FUP of 100Mb per day. This will remain in place until 25th May 2010 when giffgaff starts to charge for data use. Then there will be no FUP and all will be as tyhe pricing page states. Currently, giffgaff has not updated its pricing for non-goodybag pricing as ...

Yes, but the goodybags have already been launched, with data included.

Some people might wait a month, but some are already buying one now, presumably for texts or more minutes at the moment, but those bundles won't have the 100 MB daily use limit.

motivator
ragnorak

dansus wrote:

@CY Im confused again, sounds like 3gb will cost £15 with unknown costs above. Think i will wait till something is confirmed.

As suggested above, the fair usage limit only applies if you don't have a goodybag active . The reason they need that limit is because someone could download 1gb of data in a single day and only pay 50p after May 25th otherwise. But with a £10 or higher goodybag there is no limit.

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff :robotwink:
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.

Things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
motivator
ibiza

Just for reference - you can reach 2-300 meg a night if you fall asleep with HQ internet radio running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- - THOSE NOT POSTING NICELY - WILL BE TAKEN OUT THE BACK AND SHOT!! - -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
syorksdeano
Topics: 303
Kudos: 2,131
Best Answers: 191

Maybe giffgaff could somehow update customers once a month with how much data has been used

`Please give me kudos if my reply was helpful.'

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
maestro
commsyeo

I understand that they are running a warning before suspension rule. If you aren't on a goodybag and go over the 100MB they send you an advisory warning. If you ignore the warning and continue to exceed 100MB then your account is suspended. Seems fair to me.

CY
beginner
osaddict

I've not had any form of mobile internet access before, so that's why I went for an unlimited goodybag so I didn't go over the daily limit and get charged. I basically had no idea how much I'd be using a day and even how I could make sure my phone was fully disconnected and not using data whilst sitting idle. (It's a Nokia N95 8GB).

Is there any way I can view my daily usage - either via the handset or site so I can get an idea of how much I'm using? - I' m guessing not but you neverk now!

Today for example I browsed for about 45 mins total, most of which was on websites with pretty much just text and a couple of small low res images. My guess is that was hardly anything - 5mb or so. Over the weekend I played around a bit with Google maps and stuff, I imagine that would use qutie a bit more - but I have no idea how much, or when I close the app how I know it's closed to the internet or not.

gawright
Topics: 38
Kudos: 1,866
Best Answers: 390

Most phones have a data counter which will show your data usage.
Most users won't get anywhere near the 100MB/day available as free without a goodybag

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
darrenpainter
Kudos: 12,767
Best Answers: 3,940

Check under Menu> Applications> Log> Packet Data for a log of data used.
beginner
osaddict

Thanks mate :smileyhappy:

All sent 2.85mb, All Received 18.25mb

That says log duration 30 days.

So yeah, heavy user am I lol.

Is there any way I can monitor applications which have active or open data connections? -  When I press the red handset button to go to the main menu and then go back to applications some have a blue circle around them (think like Vista's version of an egg timer), I don't know what this means, but I was concerned those apps could still be using data despite me not using the app.