It's been 6 months since our last market comparison blog and there have been quite a few changes in the Pay As You Go space since then. Given the knowledge many members seem to have in this filed, we started by asking our members what they thought were the best deals in pay as you go, and with their input we've come up with this list. A special thanks to aandms, clearbluesky, iceqntrider, last_boy for helping out. So, here it goes:
Best bundles for £5
1. giffgaff's Hokey Cokey's 60 mins, 300 texts, free calls & texts to giffgaff* & free minutes for each call received seems to be the most complete & competitive deal at £5 we've found.
2. Vectone's 100 mins or texts to any network is also very competitive at £5.
3. Unlimited texts offerings with giffgaff, Tesco (Fair Use of 5,000), Three or Orange (Fair use of 3,000) are also strong deals.
* To get free giffgaff to giffgaff you just need to top-up or a goodybag from your credit card every three months.
Best bundles for £10
1. giffgaff's 250 minutes, free to giffgaff, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile Internet has been the leading bundle on £10 over these past 6 months.
2 Vectone's 250 minutes or texts to any UK network comes in second position.
3.Three's 100 minutes, 3,000 texts and 500MB for a tenner. As noted by last_boy you also get 150MB for 3 months on Three for your top-up, so that would make a total of 650MB.
Best bundles for £15
1. giffgaff at 400 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data and free calls and texts to giffgaff is also unmatched
2. Three with 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and all you can eat data.
3. O2's 300 minutes & unlimited text.
Best bundles for £20
1. giffgaff at 800 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data and free calls and texts to giffgaff also leads this category
2. Vectone's 800 minutes or Texts to any network.
3. Vodafone's 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and 500 MB.
Best bundles for £25 and more
1. giffgaff at 1,500 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data and free calls and texts is a lot of value for £25
2. Three would be our second best at 500 minutes, 3,000 texts and all you can eat data also for £25.
3. If you want to spend £30, you can get 1,750 minutes or texts with Vectone.
Many many changes and discussions in this area! While big players are now at 25p for UK calls and 12p for texts (Voda, O2 or Orange), there has been a lot of focus on those offering tariffs only (no possible bundle with them). The best tariffs on Pay as you go are:
1. iCard: 6p UK calls & 5p texts
2. Family Mobile: 8p UK calls & 4p texts
3. ASDA: 10p UK calls & 6p texts.
We felt it is a bit subjective to put giffgaff on this list. Yes we are still at 8p calls / 4p texts and free to giffgaff, but we'll soon be moving to 10p calls / 6p texts. So we feel we're somewhere between 1st & 2nd position for now, but it all depends on your usage. Just be aware that with iCard or Family Mobile you don't get any bundles!
BTW, I also thought it was worth mentioning that there is a new competitor fighting for what they claim to be "UK's best Pay as You go deal" Here goes Delight Mobile's offering:http://www.delightmobile.co.uk What do you think?
Please let me know if you think I am missing something important here. I would like to keep the discussion closed to the PAYG market, so we can compare apples with apples, and to avoid too much scrolling!
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.