Find out how to unlock Samsung Galaxy S3 plus enter our competition and win the handset!
If you’re the proud owner of a super smart Samsung Galaxy S3 and want to get onto the giffgaff network, you may well need to unlock your phone first. Not sure how to do it? You’re in the right place!
There are a few ways to get your phone unlocked: Two cost money, two don’t.
You can either go through your network. Ask for an unlock code for your phone and depending on your contract terms, they should be able to give you one.
Safe and official though this method is, it’ll cost you a variable fee – depending on your network. What’s more, there’s a chance your network may not give you a code.
The second method is through a third party. These are available online or through independent phone shops. You’ll want to check your network first as some third party solutions are actually more costly – and it isn’t unheard of for some unlockers to be scams, especially online.
We’d recommend looking around for a reputable one if you want to go with this method.
The third way to unlock your S3 is through an app on the Google Play Store, GalaxSim Unlock.
Free and easy though this method is, it requires that you have a rooted phone, something not everyone is comfortable with. This method also didn’t work with the 4G Samsung Galaxy S3 on Orange from EE at the time of filming this video.
The final method involves a string of numbers and menus, and was posted over at XDA Developers. It’s totally free and best of all, there’s no need to have a rooted phone - minimizing risk.
It also works with most versions of the Samsung Galaxy S3, including the 4G model, with the only prerequisite being that your phone runs Android 4.1, Jelly Bean.
How to Unlock your Samsung Galaxy S3:
Just take out your SIM and turn your phone on.
Once booted up, open up the dialer of your Samsung Galaxy S3.
Punch in the following digits:
In the menu, choose UMTS – this will take you to another menu
Here select  DEBUG SCREEN
On the next menu, choose option  PHONE CONTROL
Followed by option  NETWORK LOCK
Then select option  PERSO SHA256 OFF
Now wait 30 seconds in the following screen
When the time’s up, press the menu button (to the left of the home button), which will take you back to the prior menu.
Here select option  NW NV LOCK DATA INITIALLIZ
Wait for one minute in this menu, then restart your S3.
Despite no congratulatory notification, this process should have unlocked your phone.
To see if it worked, you can simply put a SIM card inside that might not have worked before.
There you have it, our guide to unlocking your Samsung Galaxy S3 and getting on the giffgaff network for free.
Win an Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 - enter our competition
Make sure you follow the instructions on how to enter carefully and good luck!
Want to win a Samsung Galaxy S III (It’s not brand new as we’ve unlocked it and applied giffgaff settings).
Retweet our blog – using the Twitter Share button (at the bottom of the blog post) or by copying and pasting the following sentence into your Twitter stream (ensuring you include the URL to the specific blog post and hashtag below):
Unlock Samsung Galaxy S III free http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/Unlock-Samsu
Make sure your tweet contains the hashtag #Unlocksamsunggalaxys3
Terms and Conditions
Twitter competition Ts & Cs – Unlock Samsung Galaxy S3
Want to win a Samsung Galaxy S III (It’s not brand new as we’ve unlocked it and applied giffgaff settings) Retweet our blog – using the Twitter Share button (at the bottom of the blog post) or by copying and pasting the following sentence into your Twitter stream (ensuring you include the URL to the specific blog post and hashtag below):
Unlock Samsung Galaxy S III free [insert URL] #unlocksamsunggalaxys3, making sure your tweet contains the hashtag #Unlocksamsunggalaxys3
1. By submitting your entry, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions.
2. You can enter if you’re 16 or over and a UK resident (but not if you’re a giffgaff employee, one of their family, or connected in any other way with this Competition. So hard cheese.) Obviously, third party entries, bulk entries or entries submitted by agents are off limits. We (giffgaff) reserve the right to check all entrants are actually eligible, and we reserve the right to require such information as we consider reasonably necessary in order to do that. If we’re not satisfied, you might not get your prize.
3. Entering’s a piece of cake. Go to our Samsung Galaxy S 3 blog post, and hit share button and select Twitter (or copy and paste the sentence from the ‘Add this’ Twitter button at the bottom of the post)– ensure you include the hashtag #UnlockSamsungGalaxyS3
4. You can retweet as many times as you like, but will only get entered into the competition once. Entries not complying with these terms and conditions will be invalid.
5. We can and will reject any entry, and/or disqualify any winner or entrant, if we think that the entry is defamatory, indecent or violates or infringes any third party’s rights.
6. We own the copyright on all entries submitted, and by entering into the competition you agree that we can use, display, publish, transmit, copy and otherwise exploit your submissions for any purposes we feel appropriate.
7. It’s not over till Sunday 10th March 7pm. And please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case technology lets you down.
8. A winner will be selected randomly from the entries. The prize will be sent by royal mail to UK addresses only.
9. We’ll let you all know the winner on our Twitter page and in the blog comments. If you’re the lucky winner, we’ll send you a tweet to share the good news. But we won’t let the prize sit around unclaimed, so if the winner is unable to be contacted by 5pm on the 15th March 2013 - or doesn’t tell us where to send it - we’ll choose another lucky winner.
10. We’re not responsible if you can’t take up the prize.
11. We’re not responsible for any entries that go astray. Ditto for acceptances or other documents or communications related to the Prize, or indeed the prize itself.
12. We’ll put the winner’s twitter id on our Twitter feed, and they may be required to participate in publicity connected with this Competition. If you enter, you agree to your name being made publicly available if you win.
13. In the event of fraud, abuse, and/or an error affecting the proper operation of this Competition, we reserve the right to end or suspend the Competition; amend these terms & conditions; declare void the notification of winner(s); and/or to allocate the Prize by conducting a simple draw from all entrants
14. If any provision of these terms and conditions is held invalid by any law, rule, order or regulation of any government, or by the final determination of any court of a competent jurisdiction, such invalidity shall not affect the enforceability of any other provisions not held to be invalid.
15. Our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
16. We reserve the right to suspend, cancel or amend the promotion and/or review and revise these terms and conditions at any time without giving prior notice and by continuing to take part in the promotion subsequent to any revision of these terms and conditions, entrants shall be deemed to have agreed to any such new or amended terms.
17. This promotion is governed by English Law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
18. The promoter of this Competition is giffgaff (that’s us), Hertz House, 11 Vine Street, Uxbridge, UB81QE
For any more information about us, visit our website
This method was publishedon the XDA forum.
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.