Contribute

Community Manager
timo_t

4G Launch Update - Official feedback thread

[ Edited ]

UPDATE (15.04.2014)

Hey all, please see the latest update about 4G here: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcements/4G-Trial-Update/td-p/12662514

Hey there giffgaffers, 

As per Mark's 4G blog post, giffgaff is gearing up to launch 4G in early April and we want to get your feedback and thoughts on the initial proposition. 

You can check the blog for the full details, but here's the pertinent image that sums up our 4G goodybag offering for launch:

4G.jpg

(Note: our 3G goodybags are not changing and you will still have access to all our current goodybags as normal, includind the unlimited data on £12 and up)

As per Mark's blog, there will be plenty of time for you to sign up for the member's 4G goodybag (we'll be in touch via e-mail and newsfeed soon - so please register your interest through the e-mail or newsfeed so that we know you want to be involved), so even if you're not quite ready with a 4G SIM or device, we'd still like to hear from you. 

If you want more details about 4G coverage, SIMs and devices, please visit our dedicated 4G page here: http://giffgaff.com/4g

Frequently Asked Questions

Open the spoiler tag to see some frequently asked questions.

Spoiler

I’d like to stay on 3G, how does this impact the 3G goodybags?

There is absolutely no impact on the 3G goodybags whatsoever – all of the 3G goodybags will remain exactly as they are and there will still be unlimited 3G data on the £12, £15 and £20 goodybags. The new 4G goodybags are simply additional options which are open to members with a 4G ready phone and SIM card.

What prevents giffgaff from offering more data on 4G?

At giffgaff, we try to offer you good value goodybags which are sustainable for us as a business and which offer a good level of service for members.

There are a number of factors which we need to take into account when setting a goodybag allowance. First of all, like all networks we have a limited network resource and we have a responsibility to ensure that it’s working hard to meet the ever growing needs of our members.

In addition, every MB of data usage on the network costs money for giffgaff as a business, so data allowances need to be carefully thought through from a financial perspective to ensure that we continue to be a sustainable business.

What this all means is that we need to be focused on using our network resource intelligently, to deliver what is most important for our members rather than try to be all things to all people. In the member survey, the majority of members prioritised having a high data allowance over high data speeds, so we wanted to make sure that we continue to offer great value 3G data allowances, particularly our unlimited data goodybags. This is even more important since we know that only a minority of members currently have a 4G ready device, so many of you probably won’t be moving to 4G for launch.

We feel that the allowances which are being launched for the 4G trial period still represent good value to members, but they also allow us to continue offering unlimited data on 3G and a good level of service to members.

What happens at the end of the trial period?

For anyone who signs up to the 4G trial, you will get access to a members only goodybag which is available until 31st October 2014. At the moment we have no plans to extend this, but of course we will be reviewing our 4G plans throughout the trial period, based on your feedback.

How much will it cost if I go out of bundle?

Out of bundle costs will be exactly the same for 4G as 3G. Provided that you are within your goodybag validity period, if you run out of inclusive data then any further data usage will cost 2p/MB. Some of you have shown an interest in being able to re-purchase your goodybag early – as a result of your feedback we will look at how we might be able to deliver this and update you in the coming months.

Will 4G work on the iPhone5?

Unfortunately, the iPhone5 is not compatible with 4G on giffgaff, although newer models like the iPhone 5C and the iPhone 5S will work just fine.

Community Manager
Judge me for my Check out my Obsessions , Guilty Pleasures and My Music

kbbanner.png            kbbanner.png
associate
avinashshshrestha1

Re: 4G Launch Update - Official feedback thread

[ Edited ]

Thankx for the update! but quite not happy with those goodybags.(I know its just a start hehe :smileyvery-happy: ) I hope we will get a better 4g deals in future. :smileyhappy:

Edited:- It would be great if giffgaff would provide us with 10gb(or more) of data on 4g(in future) because 2gb is not enough. :smileyhappy:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
grw42

Think most people will be glad of this update :smileyhappy:

Though personally its just not enough to keep me :smileysad:

satheeshukt
Topics: 1
Kudos: 219
Best Answers: 96

[ Edited ]

Looks promising but compared with Tesco 4G offerings, Giffgaff has loads of work to do. Tesco offers 750 minis, 2GB for just £12.50 on a monthly rolling contract (no credit check for capped contracts), imo Giffgaff should have matched that allowance atleast in 15£ goodybag offering:smileyindifferent:.

Nevertheless, £10 Goodybag for exisiting members looks great for those who are happy with 1GB limit:smileyhappy: but I would like to see it to be made permanent for all newbies as well otherwise it would look very unattractive.

I honestly don't see any Giffgaffer really excited about this pricing:smileyindifferent:, 2GB is ridiculously low for Giffgaffers who enjoyed unlimited internet for years. I don't think I would ever switch to limited data bags never mind its 4G or 5G:smileyvery-happy:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
jeff_elephant
Topics: 18
Kudos: 1,176
Best Answers: 0

[ Edited ]

Three main points:

1) Existing Members 4G Goodybag: this is a great idea to reward and incentivise existing members! Kudos!

2) £12 4G Goodybag is basically the £12 3G goodybag limited to 2GB. I think this is fair pricing for giffgaff's initial 4G pricing plans.

3) £15 4G Goodybag offers extra minutes not data. I think members will want another 1GB data to be included in this plan, so the goodybag will offer 3GB data instead, for the extra £3 price.

Thanks for sharing giffgaff's 4G pricing! Everyone has been waiting for this for a long time...hopefully this will kickstart giffgaffers to upgrade to 4G handsets this year!

Having thought about it, it makes sense to have a higher priced 4G goodybag for power users, so:

4) £20 4G Goodybag that offers 6GB-8GB of data for an extra £5 over the £15 4G Goodybag. Minutes and SMS will be the same or higher as well.

chrissd
Topics: 36
Kudos: 219
Best Answers: 15

Good offer for existing members, not so good for new members. I certainly woulnd't pay extra for 4G :smileyhappy:

Additionally, I wouldn't want to partake in the trial in case the prices are hiked after the trial. This would mean I'd have to get used to 3G again. :smileyhappy:

trainee
dmeeno

2gb? I'll just stick with 3G just now I think.

diwatty
Topics: 798
Kudos: 1,482
Ideas: 107

This is great news!

For the price too!

Hopefully over time if this is a hit the prices will go down. 

But i have a few things to ask.

Is the data allowence purley for 4G or for all types of G Network

Silver Approved Helper.
trainee
redspider

Can't wait for 4G, but disappointed with prices, I like my Unlimited Data on 3G, Max on 4G is 2gb, poor
cim
Kudos: 1,798

[ Edited ]

To be honest my initial impression is somewhat mixed. The 'trial' aspect seems a bit 'cautious' - perhaps designed to throttle demand... I suspect the lack of unlimited 4G could be a disappointment for those who are used to unlimited 3G goodybags?

The £10 1GB would probably be Ok for me to try - but my bigger issue is 4G coverage - and lack of information as to when areas currently without 4G will get it.

( Edit - @timo_t  - just so you know there is a broken link in the OP : http://giffgaff.com/4g))