Contribute

supporter
h4nifg

Re: 4G Launch Update - Official feedback thread

As far as I know none of the big four or the virtual networks are offering unlimited 4g data plans.....this is still infancy and I guess everyone is trying out the infrastructure first and it's coping mechanism. Remember when 3G first came out!!
novice
dontugzy

The question is what gigabags will will they release to supplement the small amount of data available (obviously @ extra cost) but 2gb of 4g will last maybe a day or so at those speeds lol, bring in new data packs that run along side of goody bags (add ons if you like as o2 do)
scholar
jms0

[ Edited ]

Is there any payg pricing, or is 4g access to be limited to those with a 4g goodybag?

What about those using a 4g goodybag who travel outside a 4g area?  Will their 3g usage count against their 4g allowance?

What about those who have a 4g device and sim but wish to remain on 3g for cost reasons?  Will they only be able to register to the 3g network without a 4g goody bag.

4g and Blackberry add-on are the only technology specific products which giffgaff offer.  Otherwise data is data whether it is accessed by GPRS, EDGE or HSDPA.  I can imagine many users not knowing or caring which technology they are using and therefore much opportunity for confusion.

You're the boss so check out Giffgaff's financial statements
handy giff-staffer
mark_a_e

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your replies so far. We wanted to provide answers to some of the questions which have come up:

I’d like to stay on 3G, how does this impact the 3G goodybags?

There is absolutely no impact on the 3G goodybags whatsoever – all of the 3G goodybags will remain exactly as they are and there will still be unlimited 3G data on the £12, £15 and £20 goodybags. The new 4G goodybags are simply additional options which are open to members with a 4G ready phone and SIM card.

What prevents giffgaff from offering more data on 4G?

At giffgaff, we try to offer you good value goodybags which are sustainable for us as a business and which offer a good level of service for members.

There are a number of factors which we need to take into account when setting a goodybag allowance. First of all, like all networks we have a limited network resource and we have a responsibility to ensure that it’s working hard to meet the ever growing needs of our members.

In addition, every MB of data usage on the network costs money for giffgaff as a business, so data allowances need to be carefully thought through from a financial perspective to ensure that we continue to be a sustainable business.

What this all means is that we need to be focused on using our network resource intelligently, to deliver what is most important for our members rather than try to be all things to all people. In the member survey, the majority of members prioritised having a high data allowance over high data speeds, so we wanted to make sure that we continue to offer great value 3G data allowances, particularly our unlimited data goodybags. This is even more important since we know that only a minority of members currently have a 4G ready device, so many of you probably won’t be moving to 4G for launch.

We feel that the allowances which are being launched for the 4G trial period still represent good value to members, but they also allow us to continue offering unlimited data on 3G and a good level of service to members.

What happens at the end of the trial period?

For anyone who signs up to the 4G trial, you will get access to a members only goodybag which is available until 31st October 2014. At the moment we have no plans to extend this, but of course we will be reviewing our 4G plans throughout the trial period, based on your feedback.

How much will it cost if I go out of bundle?

Out of bundle costs will be exactly the same for 4G as 3G. Provided that you are within your goodybag validity period, if you run out of inclusive data then any further data usage will cost 2p/MB. Some of you have shown an interest in being able to re-purchase your goodybag early – as a result of your feedback we will look at how we might be able to deliver this and update you in the coming months.

Will 4G work on the iPhone5?

Unfortunately, the iPhone5 is not compatible with 4G on giffgaff, although newer models like the iPhone 5C and the iPhone 5S will work just fine.

We hope that this helps - it’s great to hear so many opinions here so please keep them coming so that you’re helping to shape 4G throughout and beyond this initial trial period.

Mark.

ahsan2k14
Topics: 11
Kudos: 33
Best Answers: 7

They need a goodybag with more than 2GB 4G data i know this is a start but looks like ill be going elcewhere as 2GB aint enough
Get a free giffgaff Sim
suparuss
Topics: 4
Kudos: 1
Best Answers: 0

It's just...underwhelming.

The price is only slightly competitive when compared with EE or O2. What about Three? Unlimited 4g for £13 per month.

I think it's fair to compare the sim only 30 day plans.

Have just joined but if Three did 4g in my area I'd already have switched back. (GiffGaff don't either yet)

Please choose the best answer as your solution, so others can find it, and give kudos to helpful posts

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
newcomer
tathaniel

I'd really love an unlimited option. Also I feel like these prices are nearing home broadband level, but I understand they are running a business and probably invested a lot of money into getting 4G ready for us!
newcomer
michaelcrackberry

Thanks for the update not sure the 2GB will be enough will the unlimited 3G stay or go as this will be a major factor in which other provider offers a better deal would be better if the 4G had a higher limit like Tescos
cicerone
jaybo1973

The £10 goody bag is great and will suit me. I imagine some won't be happy who use lots of data though
covkid12
Topics: 6
Kudos: 57
Best Answers: 3

If the £12 bag had 4gb or unlimited 4g it would be perfect
4G trial-er, iPhone 5S