Contribute

consultant
paul_shirley
Best Answer

Android Internet APN setup app

[ Edited ]

A simple Android app to set giffgaff's APN and enable Internet support. It can also help get mms working.

Important note: in Android 4.03 Google removed the WRITE_APN permission needed to automatically set APNs. The app will fall back to an assisted cut&paste mode to help with manual setup, which should be more reliable than fully manual setup. The tools app will still work as normal in these Android versions.

To Install

If you have WiFi or other Internet access on the phone, the app is available on the Market, search for giffgaff in the Market app, direct link market://details?id=com.paulshirley.android.giffgaffsetapn. Note: if you installed a previous version manually, uninstall it before attempting to install from the market.

If you have internet access on the phone but no Market access, download direct from my homepage:

1. enable unknown source installs with 'Menu/Applications/Unknown Sources" on your phone
  2. download http://www.refuzion.webspace.virginmedia.com/giffgaff/giffgaffAPN.1.6.7.apk or https://app.box.com/s/2vsfev0d1gykobytxz41 in the Android browser
  3. click on giffgaffAPN.1.6.7.apk in the downloads list and install it
  4. run it

Older version at giffgaffAPN.1.6.3.apk

version with the root menu (use at your own risk, it can toast phones) giffgaffAPN.1.6.6.apk

If you have no internet access on the phone it can be installed over USB from a PC. Note:you may need different actions to enable USB storage on your phone, google is your friend.

1. enable unknown source installs with 'Menu/Applications/Unknown Sources" on your phone
  2. download giffgaffAPN.apk on your PC
  3. connect the phone to a PC USB port
  4. pull down the notification bar and click on the USB connected notification
  5. click 'Turn on USB storage'
  6. copy the downloaded apk file to the phone, put it in the top level folder
  7. optionally rename the phone copy to apn.apk (this simply saves typing later)
  8. click 'Turn off USB storage'
  9. If you have a version of the APN app already installed, uninstall it.

If you have a file manager installed simply find the apk file and click on it to install the app.

If you don't have a file manager the next step depends on the OS version installed on your phone

For Android 2.1 (Eclair) and later

1. start the stock browser
  2. if you cannot see the address bar, Menu/Stop then Menu/Go
  3. type this into the address bar: file:///sdcard/apn.apk
  4. hit the arrow next to the bar
  5. the app installer should now run

For earlier versions of Android:

1. start the stock browser
  2. if you cannot see the address bar, Menu/Stop then Menu/Go
  3. type this into the address bar: content://com.android.htmlfileprovider/sdcard/apn.apk
  4. hit the arrow next to the bar
  5. the app installer should now run

Alternately you can manually setup a minimal APN to bootstrap, the minimal setup is a single APN with just:

• "Name=giffgaff"
  • "APN=giffgaff.com"
  • "Password=password"

All other fields leave on defaults. Manual instructions here

Once installed:

You will find 2 new apps in the apps draw, "giffgaffAPN" is the APN installer, "giffgaff tools" is a convenience shortcut to the tools submenu for your home screen.

Run the giffgaffAPN app:

Read the first time message then press 'Continue'

You'll see 4 numbered buttons:

1. simple checklist troubleshooting advice for common problems, this is automatically invoked after adding giffgaff settings. I strongly advise you to read it.
  2. will create APNs for Internet and MMS. It will delete APN's from the O2 network and any MVNO on the O2 network, on some Android revisions this is needed for working MMS. On all Android revisions this seems needed for reliable mms.
  3. opens an advanced menu where you can control proxy, split APN and APN erase settings. You can also delete or rebuild a corrupted APN list directly from here.
  4. calls up a simple tools menu. You can also run this from the giffgaff tools icon in the app draw or drop an app icon onto a homescreen.

Button 2 is the preferred option but will prevent you using O2 or Tesco SIM's in the phone. You can restore the O2 settings from the Advanced Menu if necessary. Use advanced mode if you need to retain these conflicting settings.

On Android 4.03+ button 3 will be disabled and button 2 will start assisted manual setup.

Rooted device users

With the root build

Use the 'install to system' option then reboot your phone. The app will then be able to alter APN's even on Android 4 and higher. If you aren't using ICS or higher there is no advantage to doing this. NOTE this can damage your phone

With any build

In any root enabled file app or terminal window copy the apk file to /system/app then reboot.

After the system install Google Market/Play updates should work as normal. If you need to uninstall the app I strongly recommend you uninstall the system copy using the apps Advanced menu before uninstalling.

IMPORTANT: do not repeatedly use the 'install to system' button without rebooting. Bad things can happen.

When to install/run

The app can be installed at any time. Ideally you should install the app before switching from another mobile provider, while you still have internet access if you have no WiFi.

It can be run before or after switching to giffgaff but may need to manually select the giffgaff APN if done before. It's safe to run it again after switching to giffgaff and probably a good idea.

There's no need to keep the app after running it succesfully. That said its very small and the tools menu can be useful.

Help: I've run the app and my Internet still doesn't work

• Have you activated yet? The app will not activate your account for you and Internet is barred till you activate
  • Check that data is not disabled under 'Menu/Wireless & networks/Mobile Networks/"
  • Check you aren't in Airplane mode
  • Reset the wireless stack by switching in then out of Airplane mode (hold Power till a menu appears)
  • Run the app and select the 'remove other O2' button
  • A few SIMS will fail to release the initial internet bar after activation, contact an agent for help if none of the above helps

MMS support

This app installs the access settings needed for MMS, can remove one common problem with MMS but does not claim to fix all MMS problems.

You may also need to:

• enable internet data (in Mobile network settings, Data enabled)
  • have credit to send MMS - 16p/MMS and MMS is not included in any goodybag
  • set your MMS apps maximum message size to 300K
  • disable MMS autoretrieve in your SMS/MMS app
  • spoof your MMS User Agent - Nokia N95 is a good choice, you may need a modified MMS app or a 3rd party app (Handcent or Chomp recommended) and may need a rooted phone.
  • you may need to send an MMS to yourself to kickstart the service

There are several threads on the forums covering Android MMS issues, please use them instead of this thread for help.

Notes

By default this creates dual APN's because a couple of phones require that and it seems to work with all phones. Since one of those phones (ZTE Blade) formed 40% of all app installs at the time of writing that's unlikely to change. If you set a single APN in the advanced options remember to test that mms works.

The app does not set all the APN fields in more recent versions of Android. While the defaults should just work you may get improvements by manually editing the APN. In particular I don't set the "APN Type" field, adding 'default,supl' may improve location support. Feedback welcome. app version 1.5 and later have advanced options for some of this.

[Edit]1.71

• fixed lots of rotation bugs, shouldn't crash as much when you rotate the phone
  • rotate no longer causes the keyboard helper to restart or lose sync with HUD
  • attempt to make enabling the keyboard helper work better, not 100% fixed

[Edit[1.6.10

• fixed the idiotic error that stopped cut&paste mode actually pasting. Sorry all.

[Edit]1.6.9

• added root setup guide
  • added 'edit existing APN' mode for problem devices like Sony Tipo
  • bugfixes to back button and external links

[EDIT]1.6.7

• removed root options, seems to break some devices. Either manually copy any giffgaffAPN apk to /system/app or use Titanium Backup Pro to make it a system app. Existing root installs should remain enabled after updating.

[EDIT[1.6.5

• choice of proxy/no proxy in manual mode added
  • more hand holding dialogs and text in manual setup mode
  • the back button now works. sometimes :smileywink:

[Edit]1.6.4 Changes

• fixed root install bug under Jelly Bean. Probably affected some ICS devices as well
  • catch use of root options on unrooted devices rather than just crashing, may cause false alarms on some rooted devices though the install should work anyway

[Edit]1.6.2 Changes

• rooted devices can now self install as a system app bypassing the ICS APN permissions restriction
  • restored the tools launch icon. It was too hard to find under ICS, Google love moving things
  • dethemed. Plainer, slimmer, hopefully less offensive to the eye. Or maybe not.

[Edit]1.6.1 Changes

• added missing MMS Port field to Android 4 (ICS) support
  • removed Tools launch icon from the App draw. Use Home/Menu/Add/Shortcuts or Home/LongPress/Shortcuts to add a direct launch link to your homescreens.

[EDIT]updated to version 1.6.0

• preliminary 'plan B' workround for Android 4.03+ removed APN permissions.
  • internal cleanups to reduce the bloat.
  • newly broken front page... oh well, pay peanuts... :smileywink:

[EDIT]updated to version 1.5.4

• a resource error combined with poltergeist action in the build tools broke 1.5.3, pretty randomly. Beginning to hate Eclipse

[EDIT]updated to version 1.5.3

• start screen button should now be visible on all phones
  • toned down theme some more
  • added 'check gg2gg call expiry data' button to tools

[EDIT]updated to version 1.5.1

• fixed support for Android 1.5

[EDIT]updated to version 1.5

• general toning down of the more outrageous look&feel. Couldn't resist throwing in some pastel giffgaff colours though and it still looks ugly. Sue me :smileywink:
  • new APN database delete and rebuild buttons in Advanced menu
  • Advanced menu can add the 'supl' for augmented GPS support
  • more warnings that MMS wont work if you let O2 live (in the APN list:smileywink: )

[EDIT]updated to version 1.4

• added simple tools menu
  • more help provided in the app
  • test button, note: this disables WiFi and currently does not re-enable it
  • sad new look. What's a bored programmer to do?

[EDIT]Updated to version 1.3

• sets the MMS server field, another San Francisco fix, let me know if it breaks any other phones

[EDIT]Updated to version 1.2

• the app now installes seperate data and MMS APN's since San Francisco owners seem to need this.
  • wording changes
  • added advanced menu

steward
steel

Re: Android APN setup app

[ Edited ]

Worked fine for me (2.1 Galaxy Portal). I appreciated the "this app does one thing, press this button to do it" approach; no need for it to be more complicated than that.

Maybe link to the APN settings afterwards so people can see what it's done?

Edit: Oh, maybe also mention that the app doesn't do anything you can't do manually, but it provides a one-click service to simplify the process? Just thinking out loud here.

beginner
jdtanner

Amazing! This is an app that GiffGaff should support officially :smileyvery-happy:
newcomer
sensory

Excellent app! This really helped me fix my APN troubles.

consultant
paul_shirley

Re: Android APN setup app [updated to v1.1]

Updated to version 1.1

• the app now installes seperate data and MMS APN's since San Francisco owners seem to need this.
  • wording changes

If San Francisco owners could try this and confirm whether it works or not it would be useful.

mondeoman1970

Nice one Paul, I must try this when I set up my Desire again.

Cheers

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
graduate
billycraig

[ Edited ]

Going to delete my current APN settings and try this out :smileyhappy:

I'll edit this post when I'm done.

Had a go. I like it! Works very well and is nice visually. I love the 'toast' notifcation at the end saying 'giffgaffed'! That's brilliant. I remember when I was coding how much creating a 'toast' made me smile like it was an achievement...

Anyways, good job on the .apk, now we need to get someone to push this into the Market!

My name is Dean Craig, not Billy Craig.
Black HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1/Google phone) - Android 2.3 ("COS" rom) - Owned since May '09
Click here to view my Christmas giffgaff packet designs!
mondeoman1970

Hmmm... Now bear in mind I am new to all things Android, but how would you install this with no internet to download it.

In other words if say I had just reloaded my phone, how do I then use this?

I downloaded it to my computer to have a look, but its not the normal .apk file I'm use to.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
graduate
billycraig

• You'll need to plug in your USB.
• Now when prompted, pull the top-bar down and select USB Connected.
• Then when it loads, hit the Turn On USB button.
• Once it's done you'll either get a window open on your computer of the drive (something like D:\). If not, go to My Computer and do it manually.
• Copy the file from your PC to that drive (your phone).
• On your phone, hit the Turn Off USB and once it's back to asking if you want to Turn On USB, unplug your phone.
• Use a file manager like OI File Manager, ASTRO File Manager or Linda File Manager. Then direct yourself to the root of your SD Card.
• Now select the .apk. When you go to install you may get a popup exclaiming that for security reasons the app can't be installed. Just click the OK (or whatever) button and then make sure Apps from Unknown Sources is ticked. Then try again.
• Then install the app properly. Once it's done, open it!
• Finally, run the app by pressing the button (after reading it of course) and then choosing to either install the APN or delete old APNs and install this APN.
• You should be all giffgaffed with the app on your phone incase something goes wrong! :smileyhappy:
My name is Dean Craig, not Billy Craig.
Black HTC Dream (aka T-Mobile G1/Google phone) - Android 2.3 ("COS" rom) - Owned since May '09
Click here to view my Christmas giffgaff packet designs!
mondeoman1970

[ Edited ]

Ok Dean I'm with you till the part you select the .apk

When I open the folder "giffgaffapn.1.0" on my phone, all I see is 3 files and two folders, I cant see any .apk

If I download it via my phone its fine.

Yet if I download it via my computer the file shows as a zip file lol

:smileysad: Sorry to be so thick.

Edit.......

Ok once I transfer the .zip file from my computer to my phone, I just need to change the .zip to .apk and all is fine.

Still can't work out why it downloads to my computer as a .zip tho.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim