Contribute

amg_x
Topics: 1
Kudos: 27
Best Answers: 3

Daily internet 20mb text allowance

[ Edited ]

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, I have had a search in the forum and can't find this exact suggestion.

A text alert for those using the 20p/20mb a day, recently been using this and found its easy to go over the 20mb which then can eat up credit fast. I appreciate most people reading this will use goody bags, so more for the low users like my myself who does the more basic tasks, and not data heavy - not using the bags

So my suggestion would be text when nearing the 20mb - or a option to even cap it so you cannot go over

Tony

Get a free giffgaff Sim
tids
Kudos: 165

Re: Daily internet 20mb text allowance

Yes this is a good idea best of luck with this :smileyhappy:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
1992chris
Topics: 30
Kudos: 286
Best Answers: 51

It's just 20mb isn't much and could easily go over quickly would be hard to get the system to text you in time but good idea
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Click on the banner to order your free Sim with an extra £5 credit!
sunnydale2
Topics: 11
Kudos: 32
Best Answers: 13

I like this idea.
I'm not a user of goodybag that includes data.
If you're happy with my answer, please mark the answer as 'Accepted solution'.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
head honcho
limpinpup

Hi I don't know how practical this would be as another has said you could eat 20mb quite quick and to cap it how would the system know you wanted this in place. Sorry but I don't think it is practical solution. I think it is more about being careful when using this service.
Willie
Regards limpinpup
jpcjpc
Topics: 54
Kudos: 941
Best Answers: 82

Yes,agree it's a good idea. Not sure how easy it: would be to implement but worth a look.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
pr08rad
Topics: 127
Kudos: 1,175
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 0
Best Answers: 31

Unlimited data (with its limits) is £12 a month, with texts and minutes. Goodybag.
Now if you payg at 20p a day.... That's £6 already gone, and as most smartphones are data hungry you will use that each day, or at least trigger it off.
So for an extra £1.50 a week why not get a goodybag? If the idea of £12 a month is too much.... Then maybe you should turn off 3G and just use wifi. Which kind of defeats stage whole point of a smart phone.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
visionary
blackfive460

[ Edited ]

I really like the idea of being able to cap daily data at 20MB. That would take a bit of the guess work out of using this.

It isn't something I've seen with any other network so I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement.

As well as being useful for those on the daily rate, it could also be useful for those either on the £10 Goodybag or on Gigabags who want to make sure their allowance lasts the full month.

Having a text message sent out could be problematic as text messaging isn't instant and, by the time you receive it and have read it you could be well over.

So, it's yes to a user set cap but no to a text as far as I'm concerned.

enigma
stephenmiller

[ Edited ]

There's a couple of things on the ideas board, the user-selectable cap has already been set to not possible and there's one under consideration right now about upgrading to a goodybag automatically (opt in) when your data goes over a certain amount. Plus there's this one about a warning system if you go over 20MB in a day which is what you'd like to see I think, that's apparently also not possible.

The most viable I think is this one to split the balance notification texts you get so you could only be notified about data charges for example instead of for everything, including free calls. That is apparently not suitable because balance notifications are underused but the concensus is that they're underused because they're catch all and annoying that way. I reckon support that idea even though it's not suitable and see what happens :smileyhappy:

*edit

Fun fact about the splitting balance notifications idea, it recieved nearly half of its kudos (17) after it was marked not suitable.

amg_x
Topics: 1
Kudos: 27
Best Answers: 3

Thanks all

I understand what you mean about the time it would take to send the text, and for it to be read.

Maybe a cap as mentioned above is more suitable

In regards to buying a goodybag, for alot of people that I have recommended to giffgaff (due to low 10p call rates) - most have quite a basic handset, with basic browser - so not using the internet everyday, and not many voice calls makes the daily allowance a good solution for when out and about randomly. So fixing/capping this would be the best solution, or maybe 50p for 50mb (just to note I do think the 20p a day is a fair amount, its the 20p a mb after that which is very costly and very easy to go over).

As a newbie, I am sure its been in discussion before - but with the 1gb that comes with the £10 goodybag, your remaining allowance be checked easily on this with another service? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim