Contribute

dabbler
thegreen

Giffgaff runs on the O2 network.........misleading policy or not during our current outage?

First off not moaning but the recent outage forced me to do some investigating. Both my wife and me have the same phones, I'm on giffgaff wife is on O2. Wife can make calls texts and receive. I can do none and sit 2 feet away. If in fact Giffgaff do run on the O2 network it's not O2 that's down it's the link between giffgaff and O2? Therefore the redundancy isn't good enough. There and I would like to hear from giffgaff following this incident what contingency will be put in place to stop this happening again as this does appear to have affected users severely being at a key point of the day UK time. Alternatively perhaps giffgaff didn't pay their monthly bill to O2 lol. :-) or should we expect this degraded service moving forward being poor cousins to our O2 network paying rich friends and loved ones :-( All tongue in cheek except the real questions above you all know we want the answers to.....
bitgeek
Kudos: 1,870
Best Answers: 511

Re: Giffgaff runs on the O2 network.........misleading policy or not during our current outage?

It does run on O2. giffgaff have a seperate billing server and other internal systems but use the core O2 network to provide services to customers. In this case one of those internal systems has failed causing an outage.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

kungfusi
Topics: 8
Kudos: 147
Best Answers: 39

Re: Giffgaff runs on the O2 network.........misleading policy or not during our current outage?

If you dont like it you should just leave, there is unfortunatley certain risks with a cheaper service and the odd outage here and there is just part of it im afraid.

Keep with it should be back up and working soon!
pablo7
Topics: 7
Kudos: 138
Best Answers: 58

I think you may be onto something with the unpaid bill - sounds like todays profit driven capitalists getting down to their old tricks........ :-)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
kingpin
shafpatel

Giffgaff didn't pay their bills to o2? Lol
dabbler
thegreen

Tongue still in cheek, like I said I'm ok wife with phone next to me on O2 working fine. But for other users who are not so lucky they will need confidence that contingencies and redundancies are put in place following this outage to try and stop this happening again. Kungfusi telling someone to leave if they don't like it seems very short sighted hence I never said I don't like it just looking out for the wider community, keep p the good work convincing people to leave :-)
newcomer
weepod666

Yet o2 run giffgaff some where down south a sub station was broke into ( proberbly 4 the copper wire) engineers are working to get us running again im affected in Scotland as well. -it will proberbly be on the news about the brak in tonight. The police are aware of the breakin
darrenpainter
Kudos: 12,766
Best Answers: 3,940

weepod666 wrote:
Yet o2 run giffgaff some where down south a sub station was broke into ( proberbly 4 the copper wire) engineers are working to get us running again im affected in Scotland as well. -it will proberbly be on the news about the brak in tonight. The police are aware of the breakin

please stop spreading dis-information - for real updates i.e power failure due to a burst water main.....

see the notice board announcement for more details as they become available 

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-Notice-board/giffgaff-network-is-down-16-03-2012/m-...

kingpin
shafpatel

dabbler
thegreen

Conspiracy theories all welcome. Someone mentioned aliens may have beamed up the giffgaff O2 connection hub :-0