Kudos: 3,506
Best Answers: 873

Re: Multi-Cultural Community.

Bumped to get some more feedback :smileyhappy:

tipster
social_pariah

[ Edited ]

Presumably as a multi-cultural community, it would be best to leave those cultures to celebrate themselves, rather than attempting to pander to each and every one.

There will always be a section that feels left out, or one will receive more or less attention than the other, and that will no doubt cause "offence".

A successful multi-cultrual society is about being indifferent and tolerant of all cultures, rather than endorsing the select few big ones that you know about.

In my opinion, just providing a place where multiple cultures can prosper on their own, rather than actively aiding is far better.

Additionally, someone being "offended" is and never will be a good reason to not say something.

If that's the only reason for you being told not to voice something legitimate, then you're doing no one any favours.

But if there is a legitimate issue, factually or legally with what you're saying then probably best to hold back.

I'd say "morally", but that could mean anything to anyone in a multi-cultural community.

So no, causing offence is a shame if someone is so soft skinned, but by no means a reason to hold back unless you personally want to.

If this does go ahead though, I'm going to want a blog post on both the Invisible Pink Unicorn and the Flying Spaghetti Monster and their constituent holidays and practices please.

as7861

social_pariah wrote:

Presumably as a multi-cultural community, it would be best to leave those cultures to celebrate themselves, rather than attempting to pander to each and every one.

There will always be a section that feels left out, or one will receive more attention than the other.

A successful multi-cultrual society is about being indifferent and tolerant of all cultures, rather than endorsing the select few big ones that you know about.

In my opinion, just providing a place where multiple cultures can prosper on their own, rather than actively aiding.

Additionally, someone being "offended" is and never will be a good reason to not say something.

If that's your only reason for not voicing something legitimate, then you're doing no one any favours.

But if there is a legitimate issue, factually or legally with what you're saying then probably best to hold back.

I'd say "morally", but that could mean anything to anyone in a multi-cultural community.

So no, causing offence is a shame if someone is so soft skinned, but by no means a reason to hold back unless you personally want to.

Hey, 

I get the point you are getting at :smileyhappy: it is a great point.

I have question about it . 

So do you really think that it will offend more than make people more happy ? 

By major celebration, does it mean that businesses just keep to them selves ? 

Following on from my last question ? does what you saying ethical or unethical ? 

Just some questions i had reading your exellent/detailed post :smileyhappy: 

trainee
mjackir

this is a multi cultral consumer network

targeted towards all customers of all ages

including all price plans that will suit thier wallets

a friendly and happy working network

brilliant for anyone

go for it

a multicultural network.

as7861

mjackir wrote:

this is a multi cultral consumer network

targeted towards all customers of all ages

including all price plans that will suit thier wallets

a friendly and happy working network

brilliant for anyone

go for it

a multicultural network.

Hey, 

Thanks for your feedback :smileyhappy: 

tipster
social_pariah

[ Edited ]

as7861 wrote:

Hey, 

I get the point you are getting at :smileyhappy: it is a great point.

I have question about it . 

So do you really think that it will offend more than make people more happy ? 

By major celebration, does it mean that businesses just keep to them selves ? 

Following on from my last question ? does what you saying ethical or unethical ? 

Just some questions i had reading your exellent/detailed post :smileyhappy: 

If I were a cynical man... it being a great stretch to believe that I know, I would probably say that not enough people would really show it enough interest to constitute either offence or joy in the end. The overall balance of offence to happiness will unlikely be affected, but on principle I favour secularism. For such exceedingly subjective things, people should be free to make themselves happy, but Giffgaff may not want to dabble in such affairs.

Well I didn't use the term "major celebration"... but I believe I get the gist of what you're saying, and again I must simply point to secularism; don't impede but don't aid. Everyone can sort out their own celebrations, join in if you want to some extent, but don't actively arrange it yourself. A business as much as a government has an ethical obligation in my opinion and in the opinion of the law to not discriminate one way or the other on such topics.

Ethics are just as subjective as morals so I would just have to say that in my opinion saying what needs to be said or what has value in being said despite possible "offensive" content is ethical.

Impeding someone's making of a legitimate point of value would be unethical, but perhaps that is just me.

I had some trouble reading yours, I hope I answered your questions fully.

as7861

[ Edited ]
@social_pariah

I like the way you are thinking being very in view of what giffgaff may think, but after reading your comment i have insight into what the business responsibilities in religous celebrations . Im not being critical but is Christmas not counted a religous holiday. I know it is a public holiday. But questions are raised here :smileyhappy:

But as you can see by the kudos i have given you that i liked the post :smileyhappy:

trainee
kosamaster

I do not think a specific section to address religion is needed, it is always going to be an interesting topic generating threads such as these.

A multi-cultural community to me is one that respects/tolerates those of other faiths/cultures hopefully resulting in everyone enjoying a better quality of life 

"variety is the spice of life"

The political question is have we gone too far in the UK, personally I do not think so. After watching a few programmes recently that put the world in perspective I think it is important for us to improve the lives of others when we can>thus give people a chance. Does that mean mean people should be allowed take without giving, only if that is all they are able to do following independant judgement. 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
My Mission: To make a difference. My reward: Your kudos
tipster
social_pariah

[ Edited ]

as7861 wrote:
@social_pariah

I like the way you are thinking being very in view of what giffgaff may think, but after reading your comment i have insight into what the business responsibilities in religous celebrations . Im not being critical but is Christmas not counted a religous holiday. I know it is a public holiday. But questions are raised here :smileyhappy:

But as you can see by the kudos i have given you that i liked the post :smileyhappy:

Well at no point did I say that I agree with buinesses obsession with Christmas... if anything it is a very annoying holiday, I'm not exactly what one would call "filled with Christmas spirit". Though I think that one would be hard pushed to call Christmas a "religious holiday" in any sense of the word these days, or then again, any day. It's a mishmash of different culture's holidays and practices, now basically designed to provide some merriment during the darker days of winter, hijacked/heavily endorsed by consumer markets for easy profit.

Who in this day and age would describe Christmas as a Christian holiday, but Christians? Everything is now so generic that you can basically celebrate it with any imagery or inconography you want and it would still be legitimate. It's just about merriment and "good will" in the form of consumer spending and economic stimulation, slap a bit of snow and tinsel on it and you've created a Christmas icon. Perfectly good holiday for anyone, be you Pagan, Christian, Muslim, Budhist, Hindu, Jewish, etc. If anything it's better for anyone "non-Christian" because they get to celebrate both Christmas and their own equivalents.

as7861

social_pariah wrote:

as7861 wrote:
@social_pariah

Well at no point did I say that I agree with buinesses obsession with Christmas... if anything it is a very annoying holiday, I'm not exactly what one would call "filled with Christmas spirit". Though I think that one would be hard pushed to call Christmas a "religious holiday" in any sense of the word these days, or then again, any day. It's a mishmash of different culture's holidays and practices, now basically designed to provide some merriment during the darker days of winter, hijacked/heavily endorsed by consumer markets for easy profit.

Who in this day and age would describe Christmas as a Christian holiday, but Christians? Everything is now so generic that you can basically celebrate it with any imagery or inconography you want and it would still be legitimate. It's just about merriment and "good will" in the form of consumer spending and economic stimulation, slap a bit of snow and tinsel on it and you've created a Christmas icon. Perfectly good holiday for anyone, be you Pagan, Christian, Muslim, Budhist, Hindu, Jewish, etc. If anything it's better for anyone "non-Christian" because they get to celebrate both Christmas and their own equivalents.

A Very valid point :smileyhappy: 

I did not mean to say religon :smileyhappy: I meant culture :smileywink: 

I do understand that Christmas is celetebrated by many religons in their own ways and dates :smileyhappy: 

So thats the point of orginal i wanted to make :smileywink: 

Thanks for so much input into this thread :smileyhappy: