Contribute

adept
filb

Universal Dongle Unlocking!

[ Edited ]

Are you ready for the Gigabag release? If not, make sure you are by unlocking your dongle!

I'm going to be doing a lot more research on how to unlock more dongles but for now, here's some options to unlock specific dongles.

Some website you can use to unlock your Dongle;

http://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads - This seems to be the most popular website I've found while doing some research. Although it costs a bit of money to unlock some dongles, other dongles are free, so it's worth checking. Use at your own risk.

http://www.mobile-unlock-codes.co.uk./  - This is another great website in which you can use to unlock either your phone, or dongle. Seems genuine although I haven't actually used it. One of the cheaper websites too!

Unlocking method restricted to HAUWEI dongles

Go to - http://www.mapmyplace.com/calc/hua.php and enter your dongles IMEI number, after doing so, you'll be given a NCK code. Stick your dongle into your PC with a sim that isn't compatible with the dongle and you'll need to enter a NCK code and done! Unlocked! :smileywink:

Another link which is specific to HAUWEI dongles - http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f53/easy-unlock-your-huawei-dongle-214437/. I suggest you use this link with caution as the website looks somewhat shady.

Other solutions to unlocking a Dongle

Call your provider

This should be the first thing to try: you may be able to get an unlock code for your dongle directly from the network, just call up and ask. Depending on the provider, type of deal (contract or PAYG) and how long you've had the dongle then this could be free or cost a small fee.

T-mobile also requests its users to contact the customer care to unlock the dongle.

3-mobile insists it’s customer to not to unlock the dongles using any unauthorized manner. Instead these dongles will be replaced with a similar unlocked dongles if the users raise a request. But these unlocking procedures are liable for a minimal charge.

O2 mobile does not lock any of its dongles to the network except for the ZTE dongles. Pay monthly customers with ZTE dongle can unlock the dongle any time free of cost by raising a formal request. PAYG customers of O2 with ZTE dongles can unlock the dongle after a period of 6 months from the date of purchase, free of cost.

Unlock codes can be entered by connecting the dongle with a new SIM inside. A window should pop up prompting you to enter the code. If not see “install generic software”.

Pay for an unlock

Some local mobile phone unlocking stores now do dongles as well, and you can purchase an unlock code from numerous online stores. There are plenty of independent sites offering this service as well as eBay sellers. The code will be emailed along with instructions so it's a very simple solution. If your network wants to charge for providing a code then compare the prices with these services.

Install generic software

A dongle can have a SIM card lock that requires a specific network SIM in order to work, but some may only have software locks. This means the dashboard application you use to connect is the thing blocking other SIM cards, and if this is the case it's very easy to defeat as generic, unbranded software can be downloaded for dongles. You'll find it on the manufacturer's web site. Just remove the existing program, install the replacement software and enter the network details for your new SIM.

Note that if your dongle has been SIM locked then the generic software will still ask for an unlock code.

Flash the firmware

This is the complex but free solution for a SIM card locked dongle. What you need is a new firmware package for your specific dongle (and it must be the exact model) plus the generic software dashboard, both of which may be found on a manufacturers' site. Writing new firmware wipes out network branding and removes restrictions, then you can use the unbranded dashboard to connect. Google your dongle model to see if there are specific instructions as it can get complicated, though getting hold of an unlock code is going to be much easier and less dangerous unless you have some experience with this kind of thing.

If anybody has any other ways to unlock Dongles please feel free to post and I'll add it to the list!

Check out my Guides

Universal Dongle Unlocking! Extensive must-have iDevice apps!

KONY2012 - Invisible Children Campaign - Spread the word! Click HERE !

stealthybigboss
Topics: 50
Kudos: 644
Best Answers: 45

Re: Universal Dongle Unlocking!

wow nice!
andreww
Mobile Phone: iPhone 5s

Useful post. Thanks for taking the time to put that together for us :smileyhappy:

All SIMs, Micro-SIMs and Nano-Sims include £5 free credit upon activation :smileyhappy:
navigator
iceqntrider

Thanks filb,

That's just what I've been looking for.

Though unfortunately I have one of those 02 ZTE dongles so I may have to either wait it out, for a few more months or, try and unlock it myself... Not that I need to unlock for here, but you never know...

Wish me luck... :smileyhappy:

adept
filb

Added another link!

Good luck iceqntrider! :smileyvery-happy:

Check out my Guides

former giff-staffer
tobias_b

Moved to Contribute :smileyhappy:
Former educator.....but I'm still around :smileywink:
adept
filb

Thanks Tobias :smileyhappy:

If anybody else knows any other methods of unlocking dongles, give me a PM and I'll add it to the thread.

Thanks,

Filb

Check out my Guides

instructor
brradley

Good work, kudos! ;D
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
newcomer
vincenttoobad

we use HAUWEI dongles from vodafone with the vodafone software, works fine with giffgaff no need for pricey unlocking , suggest try it before you assume locked.
navigator
iceqntrider

I've just tried to phone o2 and asked for my dongle to be unlocked, as it had been more than six months since I bought it.

All I got from the guy at o2 was, "Sorry can't do that. I've even asked my manager!"

Looks like I'll have to get it unlocked, at my local independent phone shop, instead.

Thanks o2, for no help whatsoever!!