Contribute

Head of Community
gregg_b

[Updated] Mobile Internet Community Consultation

[ Edited ]

**UPDATE: 19/09/12**

Hi everyone,

As promised I wanted to update you with where we are currently at today. After taking all your feedback on board and lots of internal discussions, we have decided to change the proposed offerings to the following:

£10 goodybag (this is a change to the existing £10 goodybag)
- 250 minutes
- Unlimited Texts
- 1GB Data Allowance (Tetherable) Any usage above this will be charged at 2p per 1MB [changes: unlimited to 1GB limit, allowing tethering]

£12 goodybag (introducing this new goodybag which still includes unlimited mobile internet)
- 250 minutes
- Unlimited Texts
- Unlimited Mobile Internet (Not Tetherable)

Also, I wanted to clarify a couple other points:

- We will allow real time tracking of your data usage within the My giffgaff section of the website, for those on the new £10 goodybag.
- We're working on real time SMS Internet Usage Allowance notifications and we'll have more information closer to the time once we've worked out the technical solutions.
- There is a chance that we will have to review these offerings at a much later date as we see just what impact it has on our data consumption issue.

We have had an overwhelming majority vote for option 3 so far, so with the feedback on board and the way people have voted, we are confident this is the right offering. I want to thank everyone for their contribution, we really couldn't have done this without you!

For now, it would be great to hear your feedback on the changes we have just put forward.

Thanks,

Gregg

Posted here.

Hi all,

We would like to share with you a presentation, embedded below, which will hopefully help explain why we need to review the current situation. We will also share some improvements we will be making to our detection methods and network.

The aim of this consultation is to find the most popular outcome for all of our members, in order for us to do this we need you to:

- Stay on topic
- Avoid posting in a confrontational manner
- Be respectful to other members if they share differing views

Once the consultation has ended on the 20th of September we will review all comments, feedback and poll results and then follow up with another blog outlining the agreed changes.

As you can see, the timings are tight as we have to sign off the solution by the 20th so that we can then get it developed, to help set expectations; depending on which option is selected it will likely take around 4 weeks to have the solution ready for launch.

So, to help steer this conversation, the topics that we're discussing here:

1) Which of the 3 options would be preferred - please note, these options were the result of literally 100's of options that we researched. These 3 options were the most popular and the ones that were deemed commercially viable. Also to clarify, for the goodybags with the set MB allowance we would allow tethering.

2) How should we involve those that aren't on the forum - initial thought was to send a newsfeed/ SMS or email on Wednesday, with a poll from Wednesday. Regarding the poll, the Community can vote on which choice they prefer. We will be keeping a close eye on this poll for any suspicious voting. We will also be sending out emails to all members this week too, pointing them towards this thread to ensure everyone is given a fair chance to contribute.

3) Next steps, notification etc - once decided from the 20th September our technical teams will be able to advise when they can have a solution ready. We'll give 30 days notice prior to the changes happening. Any suggestions for improvements to these communications are of course welcomed.

Please note: We have been as open as possible with the information, please remember that we're a competitive market and therefore it isn't possible to share all information publicly. As mentioned we've conducted research testing literally 100's of options and we've presented the best of the options - which we're asking you to discuss.

I'll be keeping an eye on the thread, and will be providing a regular summary here in this initial post and a follow up blog next week which will conclude this consultation on the 20th September.

Thank you in advance for your contributions,

Gregg

For those unable to view the slideshare presentation, jtemplar has kindly posted the slides as images here: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute-Innovation-Promotion/Mobile-Internet-Community-Consultat... 

Also, for those who wish to view a text only version, please check jtemplar's post here: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute-Innovation-Promotion/Mobile-Internet-Community-Consultat...

Updates on the thread:

18-09-2012 12:16 - Update

17-09-2012 08:27 - Update

14-09-2012 09:27 - Update

14-09-2012 08:43 - Update

12-09-2012 15:42 Update

11-09-2012 18:29 Update

11-09-201212:58 Update

11-09-2012 12:15 Update

11-09-2012 11:50 Update

11-09-2012 10:10  Update

11-09-2012 10:09 Update

10-09-2012 21:57 Update

10-09-2012 21:52 Update

10-09-2012 21:40 Update

10-09-2012 21:25 Update

10-09-2012 19:01 Update

10-09-2012 18:43 Update

10-09-2012 18:30 Update

10-09-2012 18:21 Update

10-09-2012 18:18 Update

10-09-2012 17:54 Update

10-09-2012 17:42 Update

Head of Community - Riding into the forum on the back of a Giraffe

kbbanner.png     giffgaff community Minecraft Survey     New quiz: Common Payback Mistakes
coach
ryaneberry

Re: Mobile Internet Community Consultation

[ Edited ]

EDIT:

I do like the idea of having a change to the current unlimited Internet debate on the £10 goodybag. I also feel that 750MB is generous considering the gigabag prices.

I also feel that £2.50 is relatively cheap for unlimited Internet, personally I see £5 as a more fair price aftercomparing the prices against other networks.

I see how £2.50 would be annoying to some people - being an odd number, so would there be any option to top up £12.50 for those who wish to?

Also I would like to add that those who are saying they will leave if the price increase is to happen; good luck finding a deal that is cheaper than that of the new £10/£12.50 goodybags - no other network offers what what giffgaff offers 

Also a comparison with the gigabag shows that this £12.50 is still extremely good value, considering for £5 you get 500MB

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
kingpin
shafpatel

I can't even view this!
darrenpainter
Kudos: 10,547
Best Answers: 3,662

Option 1 increasing the £10 goodybag to £13 would certainly prejudice Blackberry users who would be unlikely to want to pay £3 on top of that as well just to be able to browse the web that they had already paid for in the initial goodybag. It would shift the price point of that group to a place which would most likely price it out of the market.

enigma
mgb2

[ Edited ]

I'm going to be happy with £10 bag set at 750mb and 'unlimited' should only be on the top £25 bag.

@ £15 price point allow 2Gb

@£20 price point allow 5Gb

£13 price point is a no go as it isn't an amount that vouchers can cover directly.

I WILL not be paying for than £10 for my useage as it's a 2g area unless you are lucky enough have 900Mhz capability & live on top of a hill (which I don't).

I'm NOT happy that tethering gets zero punishment.... half an hour then let them back? NO... rule should be a rule. all data on existing bag is forfeitted if caught tethering. new bag (next month) allows a 'clean' sheet.

Edit, that makes me Option 2, (as long as the further price point changes are feasible; surely overall, they'd generate 'most' profit? tho a re-read says that not going to happen).

SMS send to all members with direct link to this page should be ASAP (like tonight) rather than a vague 'wednesday'.

Every single member MUST be aware of this discussion.

SORRY 4 VERY LATE EDIT (my final words now).. It must be emphasised that £13 (or £12.50 if we're lucky & they are generous)

is a mere 10p a day to keep unlimited data.

woodyuk did make the point (I missed it) but it's worth repeating

link to someone who badly misses that point, having got 400 hundred recruits (worth £2k) laughable really innit? 

I also suggested somewhat silly data figures above (no research, DOH), here are the revisions (not that will be considered, just saving a bit of face):smileywink:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute-Innovation-Promotion/Mobile-Internet-Community-Consultat...

LATE EDIT 2 ESSENTIAL READ; the 100% simplest explanation of option 3..... truly my final post in this thread, promise.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
be nice, kudos where due, solution if earnt
novice
reecey_dee

Well the options aren't as bad as I thought they would be. I'm fairly new to giffgaff and the main reason for joining was the unlimited internet.

veteran
metalhead

Its clear that GG has already decided to bring in a £13 goodybag. The £10 option of 750MB will not be of use to quite a number of Giffgaffers and may be tempted to look elsewhere. IF GG brings takes away the £10 one then it may need to bridge the gap between the £5 and £13 bags.....maybe move it to £7 and include a small amount of data? Its just such a shame that yet again a small minority spoil things for everyone else? Dave.
ingasop
Topics: 9
Kudos: 242
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 1
Best Answers: 78

[ Edited ]

What happened to the 3 mobile £6.90 (200m, 5000t, 500mb) Sim only deal with the £3 a month all you can eat data bolt on (£9.90 total) in your comparison?

With the bolt on that makes it very close to the £10 goodybag with unlimited data.

Edit:

1) Option 3
2) Send them an email/txt as you normally would highlighting link to the voting page.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Thank you for flying with giffgaff support. How may we not read your original post and which of our generic replies shall we copy and paste in today? :smileyhappy:
bertiebat

[ Edited ]

I'm really quite pleased with the third option (£10 goodybag with 750mb AND the £13 unlimited option) as it seems the fairest way of  providing a decent £10 goodybag for the lower end data users (80%) but also still offering an unlimited option at a reasonable price. 

The 2p per mb extra charge once the data has been exceeded on the £10 goodbag also seems reasonable and fits in with the gigabags.

One thing I'd like is to have tethering included into the £10 goodybag (with the limited data) as that should now be a viable option and fill a much needed gap that some have asked for.

All in all pleased with this. :smileyhappy:

Edit 11/09:  Key updates taken from the OP updates listed below:

1. Tethering on the £10 goodybag (750mb) has been accepted. :smileyhappy: link
  2. The £10 goodybag will include a display of data used within the goodybag (similar to the gigabag) on My giffgaff link
  3. Data usage alerts via SMS will be send once certain thresholds have been reached on the £10 (750mb) goodybag link
  4. Possibility of the unlimited goodybag being reduced to £12.50 rather than the proposed £13. link (worth reading).
Please mark the best answer when you're sorted :smileyhappy: to help others find it.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
trainee
dutchcowes

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I like option 3 as you still have an extra option to increase to unlimited for £13, also with both £10 and £13 options Giffgaff will stay competitive in the market place.

Tethering included into the £13 goodybag (max 750mb data)