Contribute

leighp
Topics: 82
Kudos: 232
Best Answers: 19

Re: giffgaff is changing...

mary_r_t wrote:

Microgaff is handled by a tiny number of members. While it has been lucrative for those that provided the service I don't see people being fickle enough to leave - especially if professional microsims turn out to be better for the network over all. There are many possibilities for payback without microsims - and it's still more than any other network will offer you if a cashback scheme is what you are looking for.

It's the 'core members' that make giffgaff tick along in the way that it does. I think I speak for a lot of them when I say that we don't do it for the money. The payback is nice but it's not the be all and end all - it's the whole giffgaff package that keeps us loyal, the feeling that we're part of something different.

The giffgaff model won't keep working unless giffgaff continues to inspire people to put in their time and abiities into building a better network - and in return the members that give their time mostly just want to feel like they are being valued for what they input. After all, one of the central pillars of the giffgaff model is that costs are reduced by using members to help other members.

Those of us that have been around a long time have seen things shift - and in many ways that was inevitable as more people joined. For example, there is no way that Vincent could pretty much single handedly run the forum now - I don't think the man ever slept in the beginning and that was with a fraction of the customers  :-)

Whatever happens we don't want to lose sight of the network with principles that many of us joined - and maybe in some ways the loss of microgaff will help that along in a way. I for one can spend more time in the Community if I'm not packaging up microsims every night :-)

leighp wrote:

yeah but the peeps who were doing microgaff surely gunna lose out in payback

so its core members are better than other members is that what you are saying ???  well some of us aint got all day to sit at a computer and surely peeps are in it for the money saving and earning its human nature i can tell you i came here purely for the money to be made via microgaff and on normal payback !! i couldnt reccomend the network now just look at all the people with failed ports no service for an absolute age myself never had a problem  but i do feel for the users having problems its like i was on the bus the other day couple of lads talking about giffgaff and they had a new name for it naff naff lol because of rubbish service issues and that the 3g network is as slow aas a snail if thats peoples conceptions then not worth reccomending

Get a free giffgaff Sim
sensei
suppers_ready

leighp wrote:

mary_r_t wrote:  <<Snip>>

It's the 'core members' that make giffgaff tick along in the way that it does. I think I speak for a lot of them when I say that we don't do it for the money. The payback is nice but it's not the be all and end all - it's the whole giffgaff package that keeps us loyal, the feeling that we're part of something different.

Whatever happens we don't want to lose sight of the network with principles that many of us joined - and maybe in some ways the loss of microgaff will help that along in a way. I for one can spend more time in the Community if I'm not packaging up microsims every night :-)

leighp wrote:

yeah but the peeps who were doing microgaff surely gunna lose out in payback

so its core members are better than other members is that what you are saying ???  well some of us aint got all day to sit at a computer and surely peeps are in it for the money saving and earning its human nature i can tell you i came here purely for the money to be made via microgaff and on normal payback !! i couldnt reccomend the network now just look at all the people with failed ports no service for an absolute age myself never had a problem  but i do feel for the users having problems its like i was on the bus the other day couple of lads talking about giffgaff and they had a new name for it naff naff lol because of rubbish service issues and that the 3g network is as slow aas a snail if thats peoples conceptions then not worth reccomending

@ leigh - I think Mary's post and your reply clearly demonstrates the polarity of opinion in which members view community participation.

khairul
Kudos: 2,865
Best Answers: 146

You can read giffgaff's financials at Companies House.
Some discussion regarding its losses was taking place at http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Definitive-Who-owns-Giffgaff-from-Companies...
Click here to order a giffgaff standard/Micro/Nano SIM and get £5 EXTRA CREDIT free with your first top-up! UK first class & international delivery available
exemplar
martyjw

[ Edited ]

joshaw wrote:

The entire workings of giffgaff is just not up to standard, it's compromising the way giffgaff connect with us, compromising the original ethos that giffgaff put out to make itself different, to make itself stand out from a crowd of mobile networks. 

This is the most important line you have stated josh. If you look across at other MVNO's that you know of and compare them to giffgaff (rates aside) its a lot more community driven and more fun network to be on and thats giffgaff's genius. For one you probably won't see a thread like this elsewhere.

While back when one joined and was a younger member, I remember reading threads about members going extra miles to help. Thats because they wanted giffgaff to be a better network and you still see that now. (this thread per example) Communication from the giffgaff towers to us builds that up as it gives something to pick at and while somethings for (insertreason) cannot, anything out of the blue can and it sets a happy tone, something I feel recently lacking. For example Id love to see more posts like this on the blog than those ungiffgaff related, or given a seperate home. If we could, lets see more community driven creations a home on giffgaff.com than hidden in an old community topic or blog. It gives members to take pride in what there doing and sticking around because they feel like helpfull members. 

While im sure giffgaff are reading a lot more posts than replying its the quick reply that helps show you are.

I don't agree at all with the timing or nature of the tv sponsor campaign and consider something more giffgaffish (if thats a word, not a type of fish) would have been better. im behind it because im a member of giffgaff (As long as this isn't the focused future of giffgaff). Hopefully I touch wood there welcomed to the community (not just a mobile network) aswell as a good service :smileyhappy:

apprentice
joejackson

Stop moaning,you all know giffgaff is a mainly a marketing tool for o2 and even if you didnt realise that you have to remeber

giffgaff is a business like any other business and is out to make profit at any cost.

Giffgaff is not here for your benefit but the share holders.

wman2
Topics: 206
Kudos: 2,694
Best Answers: 1,176

@joejackson As much as giffgaff is here to make money, they are not going to do so effectively by ignoring their members and going back on their principles, as some of their key manifesto seems to be dangerously close to non-existent nowadays.
phenomenon
stephenmiller

joejackson wrote:

Stop moaning,you all know giffgaff is a mainly a marketing tool for o2 and even if you didnt realise that you have to remeber

giffgaff is a business like any other business and is out to make profit at any cost.

Giffgaff is not here for your benefit but the share holders.

Firstly giffgaff doesn't have shareholders.

Everyone understands that giffgaff exists to make profit, no company can exist unless it is making money but Josh's original post is about the way it's going about making the money it needs to survive.

All companies these days are empowering their customers and including them more and more but giffgaff set out from the start to go the whole hog and be completely inclusive in every way it can and I suspect Josh's dismay is that the community side and the marketing/business side are becoming more and more seperate which wasn't the original plan.

apprentice
joejackson

Of course it has shareholders and they are quite entitled to do what they want with their company not any one else.

All companies set out with all sorts of lovely ideas but along the way have to go back on a lot of their principles to

keep the company afloat.

All o2 have created is a loss leader to a point and o2 can quite easily take the losses if need be and thats basically

fact.

You either buy their product or not(and more often than not people will buy)it,s allready been number crunched a million

times by their financial gurus and if change is needed then so be it.

bitgeek
Kudos: 1,873
Best Answers: 512

Totally agreed. Kudos to joshaw. If it wasn't for the community members then I wouldn't be here now.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

head honcho
joshaw
Mobile Phone: Galaxy Nexus

@joejackson
giffgaff run as a completely different business from O2....fact! O2 provides the financial support as a start-up and it's technical network infrastructure to giffgaff.

Businesses have business plans, of course they do, and more likely than not, these will always have something in common. But, if everyone believes they should follow the same conventions as everyone else, our world would be boring. giffgaff set out, from the very start, to be different, and this included a very different business model. Going back to 'principles' should not be copying other business models from so called successful businesses, but instead look back on their own, going back to basics and work out their priority's. I don't need to mention giffgaff have done very well up to now, so when they launched, they clearly did something rite.