Contribute

mienaikage
Topics: 6
Kudos: 38
Ideas: 1
Best Answers: 0

uTorrent coming to Android, changes to the FUP inbound?

The uTorrent development team is working on a native Android BitTorrent client for smartphones. Abuse is currently defined as "using it in a way that it is not intended for as a consumer mobile product" but if this becomes an official app on the Android market then what sort of usage would we draw the line at? The "consumer mobile product" is ever changing so we're going to need clearer definitions.

http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-native-android-client-on-the-way-120225/

thesaint
Topics: 187

Re: uTorrent coming to Android, changes to the FUP inbound?

20gb is considered to be excessive a mth,as gg will think someone
is tethering

les:smileyhappy:

They are getting together more details to be released later this week ( I think for discussion ) I would imagine all sort sort of use will be part of that
Get a free giffgaff Sim
student
arobba

[ Edited ]

mienaikage wrote:

The uTorrent development team is working on a native Android BitTorrent client for smartphones. Abuse is currently defined as "using it in a way that it is not intended for as a consumer mobile product" but if this becomes an official app on the Android market then what sort of usage would we draw the line at? The "consumer mobile product" is ever changing so we're going to need clearer definitions.

http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-native-android-client-on-the-way-120225/

I've had the tTorrent app on my 'droid phone for ages: s'ok but I'd switch to uTorrent quite happily

neil40
Topics: 114
Kudos: 600
Best Answers: 43

Yeah,this issue needs to be sorted asap so we all know where we stand with regards to data usage & fup.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
student
arobba

neil40 wrote:
Yeah,this issue needs to be sorted asap so we all know where we stand with regards to data usage & fup.

Not really: as long as people don't kick the arse out of it then it's a non-issue.

helper
liamfellover

i dont think torrent usage should be aloud on a mobile network full stop. it will hammer the systems as for the way it sends traffic from one to another peer.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

If You Like What You See Please Kudos
sloz

The method on how you use data on your phone is of no interest to giffgaff, only the ammount and the rate of use,
enigma
mgb2

[ Edited ]

sloz wrote:
The method on how you use data on your phone is of no interest to giffgaff, only the ammount and the rate of use,

exactly... which is why everybody needs to stop perpetuating the 20Gb MYTH (no names mentioned)

plenty of users get barred for (approx) 1Gb in an hour or so.... being that this is exactly the kind of use that torrents allow (signal & data rate permitting) people need to be extremely wary of torrenting.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
be nice, kudos where due, solution if earnt
exemplar
thewordsmith

I've had the tTorrent app on my phone in the past. I don't any longer, but I don't think this utorrent app will make much difference.
Having said that, utorrent is much better known than tTorrent, so it'll probably increase the popularity of people torrenting from their phones.
During the data discussion, part of the proposed new terms and conditions for options 1 included a ban on p2p sharing...

The Wordsmith