Getting started

Getting started on giffgaff

Welcome to giffgaff. You probably have a lot of questions about how things work so we prepared this guide to get you started. 

Before you receive your SIM

If you just ordered your SIM card and are looking for more information while we are delivering it to your door, we released a serie of guides to support your first steps with giffgaff

They are an introduction to the topics covered in this article, and gives you a heads-up on what's coming next. If you are still hungry for information after reading them, the Knowledge Base contains more detailed guides on each subject.

Activate your SIM

In order to be able to use your new giffgaff SIM card, you need to activate it. Head to 'Activate my SIM' - you'll need to top-up your new giffgaff SIM to activate it (see this guide for more info).

When you have activated your SIM on the website, insert it in your phone:

1. Detach the SIM card from its holder, all SIMs are now hybrid if you require a micro SIM just pop it out (keep the outer part if you think you might ever need it to be turned back into a full SIM)
  2. Insert it into your mobile phone
  3. Turn your phone on
  4. If your phone asks for a PIN code, enter "5555", and press ok.

See a signal?

Great, to get your data sorted read the next section

Can't see a signal? 

If you can't see a signal on your phone, it could be due to your phone being locked to your previous provider - don't worry, we have a handy guide which gives you advice about how to unlock your phone in our "unlockapedia".

Settings sorted: Set up data and picture messages (MMS)

When you popped your SIM in your phone, the first thing you'll want to do is make sure that you have the right settings to get data/mobile internet and Picture Messaging (MMS) up and running.

The giffgaff settings are:

Connection Name: giffgaff

APN - Access Point Name: giffgaff.com
Login - Username: giffgaff
Password:  the password is "password" for all devices or "vertigo" for iPhones and iPads

MMSChttp://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002

MMS proxy: 82.132.254.1
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10 

If you are not sure how to use these settings, you'll find more info in the guides we wrote for  iPhoneAndroid and BlackBerry devices.For step by step guides to setting up your phone, you can also search for your phone. 

Transfer your phone number to giffgaff

You can transfer your old number to giffgaff, it could be switched over as early as tomorrow if you get a wriggle on.

Two simple tasks:

1. Ask your old network for your “PAC CODE”
  2. Let us know what that code is and when you want your number to be transferred

You can also read this guide which explain all there is to know to transfer your number to giffgaff.

Useful numbers

Voicemail  Your voicemail number is 443 (GIF) Guide to voicemail
Balance notifications

To check your balance dial *100# or

To check the remaining minutes and your goodybag expiry date dial *100*7#

The pop up notifications, you'll either love them or hate them - you can switch them on/off under Phone Settings.

How do I check my balance?
Shortcodes Shortcodes are used to access quickly network functions from your phone - a bit geeky, but some are handy. Useful Network Shortcodes

How to top-up

We have different ways to help you manage your top-ups so you don't have to run out of credit. 

Top-up Everything you need to know about top-up Guide to top-up
Recurring goodybag

Set and forget. Set your goodybag to recur and it’ll automatically pop onto your account each month.

Update your recurring goodybag settings under My Payment Details

Guide to recurring goodybag
Voucher top-up

If you’re not by a PC, you can buy a giffgaff top-up voucher at an off licence/ supermarket and top-up via your phone (IVR number, dial 43430)

Just ask for a "giffgaff top-up voucher" - the phone number will be printed on the paper voucher.  

Guide to top-up vouchers
Auto top-up

Set up auto top-up, so it automatically tops you up when your balance drops below £3.

Update your Auto Top-Up settings under My Payment Details

Guide to auto top-up

Personalising your service

There are also a few options that you can manage to tweak our services to your liking.

Adult content Turn on/off the adult content bar under Phone Settings How do I lift the adult content bar?
Marketing preferences To get recommended plans, points and usage statements etc you'll need to be opted in to marketing messages, update your Contact permissions under My Details Guide to personalised usage statement
Personal  details You can update your postal address, email address and password under My Details Guide to your giffgaff details

How to get the best value

• Free giffgaff to giffgaff calls: Did you know you get free giffgaff to giffgaff calls and texts? You can order a free SIM to be sent to your friend, or pass on your personalised order link – get them on giffgaff and you can call and text them for free. To qualify for this a top-up or goodybag / gigabag purchase must be made with a voucher or credit / debit card at least every three months. NB purchases made from airtime credit do not qualify. See here for more details.
  • Recommended plan: Each month we send our members a summary about how you use your phone via a ‘Personalised usage statement’. If you have a goodybag, we send this by email 2 days before your goodybag expires. If you're on Pay As You Go (PAYG, ie you're using credit each time you call/text), we send that at the beginning of each month. We give you an update about how you’ve used your phone and what the best plan could be for you (i.e. a goodybag or just our great value Pay As You Go rates at 6p per text and 10p per call). You need to be opted in to marketing to receive these emails, update your Contact permissions under My Details.
  • Usage summary:  Once you've been on giffgaff for more than 3 weeks - text "plan" to 43430 - within 10 minutes it'll pop back your recent usage and recommended plan (note: if you text earlier than 3 weeks, we won't have enough info to recommend a plan, the message you get back will say wait a bit longer for your recommended plan).

How to get help

Remember, giffgaff is a little different - we don't have a call centre, instead we have an army of members answering questions within our community, they'll typically answer your question within a couple of minutes.

We have a small Agent team who take questions which are account related only - i.e. if you have a question about your bill, problem with your account that requires you to give some personal details like credit card info etc.

Whether you have a simple question or an issue to solve, the best way to do it is to follow this simple method:

1) Search the Knowledge Base: get an immediate answer

We have identified the questions which are the most often asked by  the members and created articles answering all of them. It will answer most of your questions.

2) Ask the community: get an answer back in a few minutes

giffgaff is all about members helping members, if you have a question – ask the community, they’ll give you an answer typically in less than 2 minutes that’s 24/7.

It's important that you read our 
community guidelines for posting on the community. The giffgaff forum is a public, family friendly and welcoming place for all and we have the community guidelines in place to make sure that it stays that way.  

3) Ask an agent: get an answer back within 24 hours

Chose the appropriate category and ask the agents to verify your account.

Speaker.JPG

We'd love to hear what you think of this article. Really. We mean it.  

Whether you found it tip top or not

Voice your opinion now

Getting started on giffgaff

started by handy giff-staffer clairekav on ‎27-09-2012 11:59 - last edited on ‎08-11-2013 11:35 by mainframe R us endorphin
Looking for something?