How do I activate my SIM?
Once your SIM arrives you will need to head online to activate it - which lets our system know it has arrived safe and sound.
To activate your SIM just follow these easy steps.
1. Insert your SIM in your phone
Once you have inserted your SIM card in your phone, your network provider will be changed to giffgaf . If your phone rejects your SIM card, it may be locked to another operator, find more information about unlocking your phone here.
If your phone is not locked, you may want to check the coverage in your area.
2. Activate your SIM
- Go to the activation page
- Enter the 6 digit code (as shown in the picture below)
- Click on "Continue"
If you have trouble using the 6 digit code, you can use the 19 digit code which is printed on the SIM card itself. A nano SIM serial number will always be 894411 + the visible numbers on your nano SIM.
3. Register your account
If you don't already have a giffgaff account, now is the time to create one.
This account will be used to manage your giffgaff phone and participate in the community. Make sure to chose a nice member name (user name) as it won't be possible to change it afterward.
4. Select your product
You can select a product according to your payment method:
If you are using a debit or credit card, you can purchase:
- a goodybag
- airtime credit (PAYG credit)
- a gigabag
- a Blackberry Plan this includes the Blackberry add-on to enable features like push Blackberry email, BlackBerry messenger and the BlackBerry browser. If you have a BB10 device then you do not need a Blackberry Plan and an ordinary goodybag will suffice.
If you are using a voucher, you can redeem it to purchase airtime credit. You'll be then able to convert the credit into a goodybag.
Purchasing with a credit / debit card
- Select the product you want to purchase
- Review your basket and click on "Continue"
- If you have selected a goodybag, and you set monthly recurrence the goodybag will recur automatically from then. You can choose to disable the recurrence later in "My giffgaff". If you have selected a credit value, you are proposed to auto top-up.
- Fill in your card details and address.
- Click on "Confim order'.
These credit / debit cards are accepted: Visa credit / debit (including Electron), MasterCard credit / debit (including Switch). We don't accept American Express or Diners Club - if you have one of these cards, you'll need to purchase a top-up voucher.
Purchasing with a voucher
- Select "airtime credit" in the "from a top-up voucher" part of the page
- Enter the 16 digit code printed on your voucher
- Submit it.
See this article if you wish to exchange your credit for a goodybag
5. Register your personal details
Enter the correct details of the person who will be using the SIM. Verify your address is correct.
If someone has recommended giffgaff to you, help them out by entering their member name into the "Member name" box and they'll get 200 payback points.
If a friend ordered the SIM for you then you won't have this option, but don't worry, he / she'll automatically get the points.
We advise to use the "get giffgaffed" wizard to confirm your phone settings are all correct. Incomplete settings could affect your usage of Internet or MMS.