Help & Support

newcomer
mobile3g
Best Answer

3G Dongle for Tablet (what else do you need?)

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys

Has anyone used one of the 3G Dongles from O2 with their TABLETS and got them to work?

From this Link:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/FREE-O2-Dongle-5-Profit/td-p/2010645/highli...

The O2 Dongle is a Huawei E173

The specifications on the O2 website state Windows and Mac Operating Systems.

My Tablet is running Android 2.2 (based on Linux), with USB ports

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMBRIDGE-SCIENCES-V10-ANDROID-Camera/dp/B004W69HS4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UT...

Cambridge Sciences Vector V10 Tablet PC, 8GB, 10.1" Similar to a Flytouch 3 model.

Model No.: DISCO10

Firmware Version: 2.2 - 20110803

Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9

zjd@dtlinuxserver#45

Build No.: FRF85B

So once you've set-up the APN on the Tablet (from the Tablet Settings link here on Giffgaff)

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Dongle-Settings/m-p/1924153

Do you need to Install any other Software to the Tablet or should the Dongle connect without it?

Struggling to get the Huawei E173 from the O2 website, the Check-Out just hangs (high User traffic load is the reason, mmmmmm)

Please don't post about Gigabags, as I want to know it works before purchasing one of these, or Links to the APN Settings as I've already looked at these. (link above)

Part of the answer seems to be PC (windows/mac based)

I have been trying to get a Huawei E353 (unlocked 3 network) dongle to work, without any luck.

The dongle keep flashing blue (registering) and won’t go Solid Blue (connected)

The dongle contains software to load but you can’t see it or if it has installed any software on the Tablet.

Someone must know the answer.

Cheers everyone

antraf1982
Kudos: 699
Best Answers: 180

Re: 3G Dongle for Tablet (what else do you need?)

Are you sure the 3 dongle has been unlocked?

An O2 dongle will definitely just work with the adjusted APN settings

If you want the 3 one to work I would try running through a free unlock that you can find on google again.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
isabel1066
Topics: 246
Kudos: 1,341
Best Answers: 275

if you have a android phone 2.2 froyo or above it makes a great wifi hotspot only with payg credit or gigabag.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
mobile3g

[ Edited ]

Hi antraf1982

The seller of the E353 on Amazon claims it's unlocked.
The E353 has a better Mpbs (upto 21.6Mpbs) compared to the E173's 7.2Mpbs claimed rates.

If I can't get the E353 to work will get the E173 off the O2 website.

I will have a search on Google as you say. See if I can find it FREE :smileyhappy:

Most Unlockers want £8.95 to unlock this model. :smileysad:

Cheers.

newcomer
daytimebadger

Hello mobile3g

I was wondering if you have got anywhere with this?

I too have a Cambridge Sciences tablet and have bought an Pay and go dongle from O2 tried the giffgaff sim but cant seem to get it to work.  Even topped up the sim provided by O2 but still no go.

Not sure where in the settings on the tablet I can find where to enter dongle set up.

Hope you can help.

newcomer
mobile3g

[ Edited ]

Hi Daytimebadger

Re your quote:

"Hello mobile3g

I was wondering if you have got anywhere with this?

I too have a Cambridge Sciences tablet and have bought an Pay and go dongle from O2 tried the giffgaff sim but cant seem to get it to work.  Even topped up the sim provided by O2 but still no go.

Not sure where in the settings on the tablet I can find where to enter dongle set up.

Hope you can help."

Story so far:

The Cambridge Sciences Tablet was purchased through Amazon from ‘Quality Stores’(QS). I’ve had a few emails with them trying to get details so the 3G Dongle will work as advertised.

I’ve tried a locked to 3, E160G, won’t work on the tablet but this works on the laptop with an Unlocking code.

E353, off Amazon, Unlocked, can’t get that to work on the tablet either. Works ok on the laptop though.

The opinion was try an E1750 (Giffgaff & QS), or an O2 Dongle (Giffgaff).

Purchased the E173u-2 as this is the only 3G dongle available on the O2 website.

Thought I’d cracked it this time.

Inserted into tablet, created a new APN (after deleting all the other attempts) with the settings from here:

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Dongle-Settings/m-p/1924153

Connection Name: giffgaff - GPRS
APN - Access Point Name: giffgaff.com
Proxy Server Address: 193.113.200.195
Proxy Port: 8080
Login - Username: giffgaff
Password: password

Saved, restarted the tablet, guess what, IT STILL WON’T CONNECT.

All the 3 dongles I’ve tried will not go SOLID GREEN OR BLUE. (Registered.

Getting rather p*ssed off by now and starting to lose the will to live.

So contacted QS again to report my findings (and processes) I’ve been through and this was their response: (Good answer but still doesn’t solve my dilemma).

Thanks for the email. If your dongle is connecting to the tablet but you are unable to register to your 3G network, then the problem is with the APN settings you have entered. APN settings are of a very specific nature. For example, on Orange, there are no less than 6 different Pay as you go APN settings depending on the SIM card you choose and the data plan. You will have to try all the possible settings from your provider.

As long as your dongle is accepted by the tablet, the APN setting is the only problem left. You should contact your network provider to get advice on what settings to use. As you may have seen from the postings on the G7-II board, getting the right settings is key and not an easy task with some networks. (Think this is the link they mention)

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-vega-vega-modaco-com/329229/mobile-broadband-dongles/

From this posting

I can’t see if there is anywhere to insert the other settings as shown below:

`Dongle Settings`

• Click on Profile Management Tab
  • Click New Profile
  • Profile Name = giffgaff
  • Apn = Click on (Static) Then enter the apn = giffgaff.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 `Authentication`

• Access Number *99# 
  • UserName = giffgaff 
  • Password = password

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 `Advance Tab`

• ip settings = Dynamite 
  • Authentication protocol settings = CHAP 
  • DNS Settings = Dynamite 
  • WINS Settings = Dynamite

Also of note, when I connected the O2 Dongle with a 4GB MicroSDHC card the Tablet did not see that through the USB, as though the dongle was still not connected properly. Should I be able to see this storage device?????????? Need to try this with the other two dongles.

So just to summarize, I created and save the APN on the tablet.

With these setting:

APN

Name: giffgaff - GPRS

APN: giffgaff.com

Proxy: 193.113.200.195

Port: 8080

User name: giffgaff

Password: password

Server: not set

MMSC: not set

MMS proxy: not set

MMS port: not set

MCC: 234

MNC: 10

Authentication type: CHAP

APN type: not set

Then when the dongle (O2, E173, with giffgaff sim) is inserted the 3G ICON appears and the arrows blink alternately.

The dongle Blinks green twice every 3 seconds (dongle is on), then either changes to green or blue blinking once every 3 seconds (Registering). It never goes SOLID.

I have tried numerous APN settings, all without success.

So from what I have tried I am running out of ideas and combinations for the APN settings.

HELP.

So to answer Daytimebadgers question. No I’ve not got the tablet to connect  yet using a 3G dongle.

I can connect to the web using Wi-Fi, at home and where there is a Wi-Fi hotspot using passwords if needed.

But if the Wi-Fi option is not available then NO WEB, Boo, off with their heads.

PLEASE, PLEASE don’t post with links we have already tried.

Some helpful suggestive comments would be appreciated (No we don’t want to sell the tablet and get a known brand).

Bring me coffee to keep me awake while I try another APN setting.

Cheers Guys and Gals

allan1954
Topics: 281
Kudos: 1,681
Best Answers: 372

all you need is a cheap android phone as isabel sugested asda tmobile rapport locked £40 but unlock code ebay about £7.50 use the inbuilt wifi hotspot i use the same phone for my ipad not with gg sim card works great.if you use on gg only with gigabag or payg credit.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
daytimebadger

[ Edited ]

What do you know today using the steps shown in mobile3gs post above, my O2 with giffgaff sim plugged into an extension usb and after 3 failed attempts just connects, I am gobsmacked!!!!! Goggle search, facebook account, email received all working.  Slow connection yes but working which can surely means I have more of a signal problem than hardware??? 

This has really put me in a spin, but this one time alone proves the combination of sim/O2 dongle/ this Tablet does work!!!!!!

If it ever works again I will be made up.

Thanks mobile3gs for your help but I have a feeling I will be back.

Ps the dongle light went solid blue.

newcomer
mobile3g

[ Edited ]

Final Dongle update.

Managed to get a Huawei E1750 dongle off the auction site for a cheap price (although it was locked to 3)

Used one of the many unlocking programs available out there. Connected it to my laptop and used the generated unlock code from the dongles IMEI. Funny but couldn't get my laptop to connect with this dongle, so wasn't expecting it to be successful on the tablet.

Put the dongle into the USB port, waited and much to my surprise the light went SOLID BLUE, yipee, a connection at last.

(I had already set up the APN via the many attempts with previous efforts)

The 3G Icon stopped flashing and kept two lit arrows showing. Perhaps I could have saved myself a lot of time, effort and frustration, if I had got the E1750 dongle in the first place.

At least now we have a cheap tablet that is truely portable and connects via Wi-Fi and 3G when needed.

So for anyone who has a Flytouch 3 or Superpad 2 (or one of the similar cheap clones) I would suggest the Huawei E1750 dongle. Doesn't have to be unlocked but does help if you have no way of unlocking.

Happy Surfing Guys and Gals.

From one happy customer.

newcomer
nadineshill

HI all

I am soon moving to a new house.. i hope to opt for Sky Broadband but in the meantime i can't live without internet.. i have an Asus TF101 tablet with android the most up to date version. I wondered if the E173 Dongle would work for me as a cheap option.. if so im a bit baffled by the one on Amazon, its a 02 E173 but says 1GB... is that the amount of downloading? I checked my usage on my broadband bill and its about 3 GB a month! I already have the giffgafff sim to put in it...is this the one for me.. ? If anyone has helpful settings in getting it to work please post on this thread??/

Thanks...

loving giffgaff mobile and have checked my new area and apparently ther are two masts nearby with 3g coverage for everything...with 02 of course.

Nadine