Help & Support

newcomer
jodean

3G ON A SAMSUNG GALAXY S2

Could someone help me cos this is weird,

ive been with giffgaff for a while now(great provider by the way, keep up the good work.) and ive never had any problems with the network or the coverage. i have a iphone 4 and used it for the internet when im out and always got good 3g reception.

the other day i got a new samsung galaxy s2 and put in the sim card kickstarted it up and it all worked fine, that was 4 days ago.

today i noticed that i had full bars on my phone for the reception but however hard i tried i could not get any 3g, 2g, or edge coverage. i took the sim card out put it back in my iphone and 3g came up straight away so it cant be my sim card.

thinking there was something wrong with my new galaxy i tried my girlfriends sim card in the phone (WHO IS ON VIRGIN BY THE WAY, i will convert her) and 3g showed up straight away so it cant be my galaxy.

could anyone please help me with this issue as i love giffgaff and i love the 3g when im not at home but i cant understand why its just suddenly stopped working.

thank you.

hamzee211
Kudos: 131
Best Answers: 16

Re: 3G ON A SAMSUNG GALAXY S2

are you sure you haven't turned 3g off in the phones settings?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
jodean

no every thing is exactly how its supposed to be,

i even did a factory reset on the phone and started from scratch setting it up the way its supposed to be.

dabbler
chris2409

Activate your data settings.
hamzee211

jodean wrote:

no every thing is exactly how its supposed to be,

i even did a factory reset on the phone and started from scratch setting it up the way its supposed to be.

Ok see what happens if you put an o2 or other sim see what happens :smileyhappy:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
hamzee211

chris2409 wrote:
Activate your data settings.

nothing to do with data settings

Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
jodean

already tried another sim and the 3g comes on, gone on to 02 website to see if any maintanance is taking place and it says everything is fine.

hamzee211

Hm i have no idea i know there's nothing wrong with your phone maybe its o2 giving more priority to there customers mine has the same problem sometimes depending on the time like 8 Am i get 3g and in the afternoon it goes back to just gsm or the signal :smileyhappy:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
jodean

just looking through the settings and ive seen this if anyone can tell me what it means,

use packet data is on

data roaming is on

network mode is GSM/WCDMA(auto mode)

Then when i go into the status of my phone it says this.

signal strength---97dBm 8 asu

mobile network type--HSDPA

service state--out of service

roaming--not roaming 

mobile network state--connected.

can anyone shed any light.

rookie
marku

Try toggling GSM/WCDMA to GSM only and then back again to GSM/WCDMA. Does G burst into life? If it does then this is a known problem with some version of some Samsung Android ROMs. I don't know what the solution is :smileysad: If you find out please let me know...