Help & Support

newcomer
alvin23

3G 'connected' but no connection

Hello GGers,

I have to re-open a thread on this really frustrating problem that I've been unable to permanently fix.  I believe the problem has been happening for a good 2 or 3 months at least - I have lost track.  Possibly related to the IOS 5.0.1 update. 

I realise there are many many separate posts on this, but here's my take.

PROBLEM:  The iphone shows full 3G connection but there is no data or phone connection.

FREQUENCY:  Happens almost every time that the phone temporarily loses connection, no matter the length of time (i.e. going into a lift, going underground).  On reconnection, it shows full bars, but I get "no internet connection" error messages in all of the apps.  I've also noticed it occassionally happens when I leave the house and the phone switches from WiFi to 3G.

TEMPORARY SOLUTIONS: 

The following have worked to restore data connection: 

1)  Switching phone off and back on - solves the problem 90% of the time.

2)  Enabling and then disabling airplane mode - solves the problem 50% of the time.

3)  Disabling and then re-enabling 3G cellular data - solves the problem 50% of the time.

4)  Taking out the sim card and re-inserting - solves the problem 50% of the time.

5)  Deleting/clearing the GiffGaff connection profile and re-entering all of the giffgaff.com settings - solves the problem 50% of the time.

Of course, these are not satisfactory measures as I find myself doing one or more of the above at least 3-4 times a day.  Not to mention the times I don't realise there's a problem, and no one can get through to me.

NON-SUGGESTIONS:

I do not agree with the following comments/suggestions that I have come across:

-  faulty/dirty SIM (the fact is, it works most of the time)

-  faulty phone (again, I doubt this is the cause as it does work most of the time)

-  O2 issue (every time I check the o2 status website, it is always all good.  Also, this happens both at work and near home, so I doubt its an O2 base station issue.)

-  incorrect settings (I've covered this above - and again, it works most of the time, so it can't be a settings issue)

HELP!

charlesn
Topics: 58
Kudos: 570
Best Answers: 162

Re: 3G 'connected' but no connection

[ Edited ]

This hapens on an iPad with iOS 5.1 also.

You are NOT alone.

I use the power off and on method and it works every time (so far) for me.

Regards,

Charles

Ps. ---If this post was helpful, please click the star on the right, or, accept as a solution. Thank You.---
kabads
Topics: 17
Kudos: 49
Best Answers: 5

As this is probably an iPhone issue (from your description) could you take it in to an apple store to see what they think it might be? They may be able to run some diagnostics on it as well - something that the average iphone user doesn't get access to.
If you liked my response please consider giving kudos
Get a free Giffgaff Sim

scholar
guymcdade

Posted from Facebook
charlesn

I have taken my iPad into the Apple store to see the Guru's .. They say it is fine ... I agree with them .   My O2 SIM never had this problem at all.

Regards,

Charles

Ps. ---If this post was helpful, please click the star on the right, or, accept as a solution. Thank You.---
newcomer
alvin23

but surely this is not the way forward...
charlesn

I hope it isn't

Regards,

Charles

rhort
Kudos: 1,565
Best Answers: 1,911

For issues with slow or intermittent network access, you should contact an Agent and make sure you title the message 'Slow/Intermittent Connection'. What should happen then is that they'll send you back a questionnaire which will help the Technical Team work out what your particular issue is. This should then lead to them either reprovisioning your SIM, or reporting your local mast for maintenance, hopefully improving things for you.
charlesn

I have just reported it.

But ..... There is NO message (Copy) in my ask an agent file for some reason ... Is that normal ?

Regards,

Charles

newcomer
alvin23

Thanks for the tip. I will try to report on progress.

As a side note, my "Ask an agent" link on the dashboard is broken (yet another common problem!). I'm still waiting for a couple of educators to help me out with this... Slowly losing faith that giffgaffs no-customer-service model is a good idea, if the base infrastructure is showing signs of wear and tear!