Help & Support

newcomer
pacentro
Best Answer

APN settings on Samsung Galaxy S3

Hi guys,

I'm sure I'm not the only one with the following problem:

I bought 3 days ago a shiny, new Samsung Galaxy S3 and also activated my giffgaff SIM card. The transfer of my old O2 number to giffgaff went without any problem (thanks again for the quick service guys ! :smileyhappy:) but as soon as I entered the giffgaff APN information I faced a new challenge.

That is the following: Whenever I want to manage my current APN settings under Setting / Wireless and networks / More settings / Mobile networks/ Access Point Names though I have typed in the internet settings giffgaff provided me with but I can't get rid of the following 3 APN profiles : (O2 Mobile Web, O2 Pay & Go Internet, Tesco Mobile, O2 Pay monthly MMS). The first 3 APN profiles have a little circle next to them what I can select but the giffgaff profile I created doesn't have a circle to select it so to override all the other APN profiles. Hence I'm not able to select the giffgaff APN profile so I can't have any internet access unless I'm on WI-FI but that's the whole point of changing to giffgaff because I wanted to have unlimited internet access on the go.

I was in a Samsung shop where the technicians just scratched their heads and literally confessed they did not have a faintest idea of how to get rid of all the unwanted APN profiles. They asked me to contact you. I tried to browse through several internet forums about this but it seems nobody has posted any useful information regarding this.

Could you please help me with this? It's a bit frustrating for me having a shiny, new phone for more than 400 quid and I even changed to giffgaff to be able to get unlimited internet which was the only reason I changed my O2 contract and here I am having an unfunctional telephone and my giffgaff monthly goody bag will soon expire without even having had the chance to enjoy my internet access.

Thanks very much for the help in advance,

Roland

helper
bwayne

Re: APN settings on Samsung Galaxy S3

[ Edited ]

GPRS-3G Settings

Connection Name: giffgaff - GPRS
APN - Access Point Name: giffgaff.com
Proxy Server Address: 193.113.200.195 [Leave blank]

^ [Note: The correct answer has changed since this post was made]
Proxy Port:8080
Login - Username: giffgaff
Password: password [Leave blank]

MCC: 234
MNC: 10

skytes

nternet and MMS settings for Samsung Galaxy S3 (Also for Galaxy s2 on icecream sandwich)

Hi all Get a free simcard below & get a free £5 toooo.:smileywink:
Get a free giffgaff Sim
yasar_786
Topics: 2
Kudos: 620
Best Answers: 547

[ Edited ]

To setup your Android device manually:

Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

Click the Menu button > New APN

Enter these details:

Name: giffgaff
APN: giffgaff.com
Username: giffgaff
Password: password [Leave blank]

Server: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.113.200.195 82.132.254.1

MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10

Or, The easiest way is to connect to WI-FI and download "GIFFGAFF APN" from Android Market (or Google Play as it's now known)

Android Phone guide: http://bit.ly/jitbandroid

Giffgaff internet and MMS settings for Samsung Galaxy S3 (Also for Galaxy s2 on icecream sandwich):
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Giffgaff-internet-and-MMS-settings-for-Sams...

If I have helped, please Kudos Me :smileyhappy:
Get a free giffgaff Sim
daeagleton

virtuoso
lucy68

wedgie42

smaugsbane
Topics: 8
Kudos: 970
Best Answers: 173

pacentro wrote:

That is the following: Whenever I want to manage my current APN settings under Setting / Wireless and networks / More settings / Mobile networks/ Access Point Names though I have typed in the internet settings giffgaff provided me with but I can't get rid of the following 3 APN profiles : (O2 Mobile Web, O2 Pay & Go Internet, Tesco Mobile, O2 Pay monthly MMS). The first 3 APN profiles have a little circle next to them what I can select but the giffgaff profile I created doesn't have a circle to select it so to override all the other APN profiles. 

That's strange.  I don't have the same problem; I have a small circle next to all of the APN profiles except the "O2 Pay Monthly MMS" one (which makes sence, since you can't select an MMS APN profile for normal data usage).

Check the settings of your giffgaff APN profile.  I set the name (doesn't matter what it is), APN, Username and Password.  I left everything else as either "Not set" or the default.  In particular, my "APN type" is "Not set" and my "Bearer" is "Unspecified".  I also haven't configured the MMS settings either.  Check that your settings match mine.

If that's not the problem, I wonder - is your S3 locked to O2 by any chance?

bluemoonbaz

This worked on my s3.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Internet-and-MMS-settings-for-Samsung-Galax...
Get a free giffgaff Sim

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/blackberry-addon-fix-please-support/idi-p/3357539

newcomer
chalmers78

Does anyone have the iPhone 4s settings, mine says the service is timed out and to request them again but doesn't tell me how to do this. (sorry its a little off subject)