Help & Support

newcomer
johndenison
Best Answer

Advice on buy a second hand iPhone 4s please.

I am looking at a second hand iPhone 4s tomorrow. I want to check some details before I part with my cash. How do I know if it has been stolen? The seller says it been unlocked. Can I check without putting another SIM in it?

Thanks

Re: Advice on buy a second hand iPhone 4s please.

Ask to see the receipt
Get a free giffgaff Sim
head honcho
mitchell2010

[ Edited ]

well usually when stolen the person who had it stolen will block the phone making it unusable, this blocks the IMEI number and sets it to 000000000000000, so you could ask for a screenshot of the IMEI.

:smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy:

order a "hybrid" sim which can be used as a standard sim or can be pinched into a micro sim :smileyhappy:
helper
chrisyeung89

you will have to put in the sim and check and see if it is unlocked

ask for a receipt to proof of purchase. remember to transfer the warranty at apple too. last time i was at an apple store the guy next to me can't fix his iphone because it is not register in his name

ni9e
Topics: 15
Kudos: 21
Best Answers: 8

I would be very cautious buying 2nd hand a lot of people are getting ripped off buying phones then the original owner claiming there phones been stolen and you have paid good money for a doorstop.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
aadil786
Topics: 141
Kudos: 118
Best Answers: 10

Make sure, when u buy it he invites you to his address so that if anything happens then you know where to go...
Hope I Helped...
I NEVER GET KUDOS... WILL YOU GIVE ME ONE? (YELLOW STAR)Get a free Giffgaff Sim
adept
kipper486

Go to checkmend.com they can tell you or google how to check if phone is stolen and choose one of checker services
newcomer
perzio

Contact apple and give the IMEI code or serial number. Then check its history to see if it was stolen and if it is officially factory unlocked
wedgie42

johndenison wrote:

I am looking at a second hand iPhone 4s tomorrow. I want to check some details before I part with my cash. How do I know if it has been stolen? The seller says it been unlocked. Can I check without putting another SIM in it?

Thanks

Hi john

Have a look here for some tips:http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Take-Care-when-buying-a-second-hand-phone/m...

Hope this helps

newcomer
johndenison

Thanks for everyones reply. One more question please. It is less that an year old and is locked to O2 so iit might be still under a contract. So if this is the case is the phone his to sell, don't you have to wait until the contract has finished before you sell it? I am obligied to pay off the remainder of the contract if I buy the phone?