Help & Support

beginner
bethany_s
Best Answer

Blackberry 8520 - cannot send SMS (can receive OK)

Newbie GG, please treat me gently !!

I have been trawling the boards for 2 days now to ensure I have the correct settings for my "new" Curve 8520.  I can receive SMS messages, but cannot send them, seen on some posts that others can reply to messages - no details on how that issue was sorted though.   Any advise will be gratefully received and kudos for the "winner" :smileyhappy:

Thanks in advance

aks782
Kudos: 2,435

Re: Blackberry 8520 - cannot send SMS (can receive OK)

Turn phone off and give that sim a thorough clean, i know it sounds stupid but some people report it helps! :smileyhappy:

For a giffgaff sim with £5 FREE CREDIT, click on banner below

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Or for a pre-cut giffgaff micro sim (for iphone 4/4s/ipad), also £5 free credit, fill out this order form
steward
mohseenothman

Unfortunately, Blackberrys are not fully supported on giffgaff yet. Calls and texts will work fine, but the internet won't. This is because giffgaff have not yet implemented their own Blackberry internet Services (BIS) server. Therefore, applications which require BIS such as Blackberry Messenger, Blackberry Browser and Blackberry Mail will not work on giffgaff.

However, there are a few work-arounds to this issue so you can still use a Blackberry on giffgaff. To learn them, seehttp://bit.ly/giffgaffblackberry

giffgaff have said that they plan on being blackberry friendly sometime this year, but they haven't given us a specific date yet. The idea has been proposed and it may be worth giving it Kudos to show your support: http://bit.ly/giffgaffbbidea

If you've tried the work-arounds and your net still doesn't work, it may be because you have a data bar. Not to worry, this is normal with a few new activations and can easily be removed by contacting an agent and requesting them to remove it.

You can contact an agent directly here: http://bit.ly/giffgaffagent

They take up to 24 hours to respond (sometimes they're quicker) and their replies can be seen here: http://bit.ly/giffgaffreplies

Have I helped? Please click on the yellow Kudos button to the left if I have.
Have I answered your question? Please click on Accept as Solution to the bottom right of my post if I have.

darrenpainter
Kudos: 10,573
Best Answers: 3,666

Make sure the sms message centre is correctly set to giffgaff's number

Scroll to Options,

press the Trackball

Scroll to SMS

press the Trackball

Scroll to Service Centre

enter +447802002606

Press the BlackBerry key

scroll to Save

beginner
bethany_s

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for the extra-ordinary speed of the responses.  I have checked and confirmed the SMS Centre number, I will try the clean and advise if that actually worked as soon as done.  The 'net part I am not fussed about at this point in time, so all of that will be a future project.  Perhaps one thing I should have mentioned is/was that this BB device is a ex corporate one.  Does any of the security settings or BES related settings need to be changed/removed ?  As per subject - i can recieve SMS' just not send.

Thanks to all

Regards

aks782
Kudos: 2,435

How is calling no the device, working OK?

For a giffgaff sim with £5 FREE CREDIT, click on banner below

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Or for a pre-cut giffgaff micro sim (for iphone 4/4s/ipad), also £5 free credit, fill out this order form
gawright
Topics: 38
Kudos: 1,862
Best Answers: 390

You do have credit or a goodybag with texts don't you?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
beginner
bethany_s

This works OK - making and recieving call is fine. As is recieving texts - just cannot send.
Thanks and regards
gawright
Topics: 38
Kudos: 1,862
Best Answers: 390

can you reply to a text sent to you, rather than sending one by selecting the number from your contacts?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
beginner
bethany_s

I think this may be leading somewhere ... i do noit have a "reply" option when reading the just recieved message. adn in the list of messages, it has a clock icon at the start of the line. This seems ti indicate "waiting to send" or some sort of timing thing. Does this make any sense ?
Thanks to all for this advice.
regards