Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
pokepija

Re: Can anyone get 3G in Exeter?

Giffgaff should move from O2 to Three. Much better and stronger signal
newcomer
wongryt

Is it supposed to do this automatically if you have a rubbish signal? Do I need 3 APN settings on the phone for this?

darrenpainter
Kudos: 12,888
Best Answers: 3,942

wongryt wrote:

Is it supposed to do this automatically if you have a rubbish signal? Do I need 3 APN settings on the phone for this?

No, what the previous poster suggested is that instead of giffgaff using o2 for it's signal, they should buy service from Three UK instead.

A non starter of an idea, when giffgaff is a fully owned subsidiary of o2, it isn't going to go using competitors networks to plug gaps 

newcomer
wongryt

Okay,

Have put in a request for an agent to re-provision the internet connection to see if that sorts out the problem. :smileysad:

Have to wait ad see now.

Ricky

associate
manguexa

checked the signal itz might be problem in your area

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
newcomer
pokepija

Well I get no help from an agent and no help from here so what do I do?? Should I go with other company that gives me 3G???
No point having an iPhone with unlimited data when the data takes 25 years to download!!!
newcomer
wongryt

Manguexa,

How did you check the signal, when I checked exeter on the http://status.o2.co.uk/ web page

I get:

• Our network is currently working fine
    If we're doing work on the phone masts near you we'll tell you about it here.
    Updated 17:20 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

• Normal coverage for Voice, Text, Email and Data
    Good indoors and outdoors.
  • Normal coverage for Mobile Internet
    Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

newcomer
wongryt

Hi all,

Agent responded yesterday to say that the request for the internet connection to be reprovisioned was resolved. Which I assume means that the reprovisioning has been done or an order for it to be done has been put in.

In any event, I have still NOT been able to get anything higher than GPRS/Edge speed on giffgaffs mobile broadband. Maybe reprovisioning takes a couple of days?, or maybe it wasn't the problem?.

I did notice one other thing today:

If I put the Original Orange sim in the phone (OSF) and go to Settings - About phone - Status:

I get Network = Orange, Mobile Network Type = UMTS.

If I put the giffgaff sim in I get

Network = O2 - UK

Mobile Network Type = GPRS.

I don't know if this Mobile network type is specified to the phone by the SIM, or in the Phone, or if it's the Phone saying 'I'm only getting GPRS in this area cos' the coverage is bad' , bearing in mind the o2 coverage website says coverage is good indoors and outdoors.

Could it be the Sim? if it's the phone, how do I tell it to use UMTS (or auto, or better), (Note: Check box to restrict it to 2G networks has always been disabled so it should get 3G).

Ricky

newcomer
wongryt

Well I don't know if it was the reprovisoning or not, but was able to get 3G (... woo hoo) walking home today.

The phone status issue from my last post looks about the mobile network type looks to be the network the phone is picking

up. When I managed to get 3.5G the network type had changed from GPRS to HSDPA 'H'.

At least I know my phone/sim/settings combination is capable of picking up 3.5G on the giffgaff network.

Cheers

Ricky