Help & Support

trainee
bennystan
Best Answer

Can i use the free browsing for GPS navigation?

I have a nokia n97 and i often use it as a sat nav in my car. But as you know , the maps are not preloaded in the phone but they load as you travel , they load using mobile internet. This must be quite a big traffic . So, would i navigate and load the maps using your free internet with no problems? Thanks. 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
pathfinder
planeman

Re: Can i use the free browsing for GPS navigation?

I don't see why not but you don't NEED a data connection, as long as the maps are loaded on to your phone.

Have a look here. You can put new maps on via the Nokia PC Suite.

supporter
jamie
Mobile Phone: Blackberry 9360

Yeah thats fine , Mobile companys are getting use to big volumes of traffic now as more and more phones need alot of data like maps or "app store" and people using mobile broadband . I hope i havnt went off the topic .

Jamie

Thanks,
Jamie.
I'm not going to use this space to beg.
pathfinder
jermin

If your driving, and use a gprs dependent GPS navigation, the accuracy won't be that good, and might loose connection. Best way is to get yourself gprs non-dependant GPS system installed in your Garmin Mobile XT. Or if you think that its not worth it, think about enhancing you signal by look at this web

Your GiffGaff Helper
Jermin
consultant
paul_shirley

[ Edited ]

bennystan wrote:

This must be quite a big traffic . So, would i navigate and load the maps using your free internet with no problems? Thanks. 

Probably less than you think. Basic map data compresses very well, whether tiled (Google Maps) or in vector format. Stick to a fairly plain view and your 100Mb/day is unlikely to be in danger.

Difficult to guesstimate but after a play with Google Maps and a network meter, at the sort of scale satnav would need, a 50mile trip looks doable in less than 10mb, probably much less.

You'd still be advised to preload the maps if possible though.

marvel
andy0

[ Edited ]

bennystan wrote:

I have a nokia n97 and i often use it as a sat nav in my car. But as you know , the maps are not preloaded in the phone but they load as you travel , they load using mobile internet. This must be quite a big traffic . So, would i navigate and load the maps using your free internet with no problems? Thanks. 

Google Maps only downloads map detail as it goes, but for Nokia or Ovi Maps you can actually install your chosen maps in advance.

Also of possible interest: the latest version of Ovi Maps has moved to giving the spoken directions version away for free, rather than on paid subscription, and this is compatible with your phone and a few other recent models

pupil
s_hadley

Another way to pre-load Nokia/Ovi maps on your phone and avoid data charges:

http://diabo.freehostia.com/symbian/indexhack.htm

A great site if you want to free your symbian phone and install unsigned apps also.

I have the ovi store on my Sony Ericsson satio which is cool for the free apps. ;-)