Help & Support

newcomer
mriggs

Can't turn off Adult content block - says drivers license number is invalid!!

Hi all

I want to turn off the Adult Content block on my phone (I'm a photographer and some sites I use have an 'adult content' flag due to potential modelling pictures).

Every time I try to turn it off it says I need to prove my age by supplying my drivers license number (which is frankly ridiculous) - but even when I enter my driving license number it says it's incorrect! The alternative is to divulge my passport number - which I refuse to give to a mobile phone provider!

Any advice would be gratefully received. I've raised a ticket this morning but thought a post here might get quicker results.

As an aside, is it acceptable that a mobile phone provider expects people to compromise their personal security by divulging such personal data as drivers license numbers and passport numbers? Such information is very personal and would leave an individual highly exposed to identity theft if it fell into the wrong hands. The UK Identity and Passport agency state categorically that "You must never reveal or divulge your passport number to anybody except UK Border Agency officials or Authorised Border Control officials" - so why does GiffGaff think it's entitled to ask for that information?

morvin

Re: Can't turn off Adult content block - says drivers license number is invalid!!

Ask an Agent http://bit.ly/giffgaffagent

How else are they prove that you are over 18
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Please give 'KUDOS' if you like my post. If my answer helped then please click 'Accept as Solution'
giffmeister
Topics: 9
Kudos: 501
Best Answers: 213

Re: Can't turn off Adult content block - says drivers license number is invalid!!

Just use the Ask An Agent facility to request this and they will process it manually for you.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
coach
alyamani

From here you can control your adult content  Adult Content Control

darrenpainter
Kudos: 12,060
Best Answers: 3,913

[ Edited ]

With regard to the security of the info, it isn't actually permanently stored based on this post from the developer who wrote the algorithm that checks the details

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute-Innovation-Promotion/Passport-details-to-disable-content...

darrenpainter
Kudos: 12,060
Best Answers: 3,913

[ Edited ]

In addition this thread may explain reasons why the driving licence number may be rejected

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Adult-Restrictions-Removal/m-p/3017767

newcomer
mriggs

[ Edited ]

Not compromising an individuals personal security comes far higher up the priority chain than a mobile phone provider confirming someone's age. Adult websites manage to confirm someones age millions of times a day without needing Passport/drivers numbers.... why is GiffGaff special?

Furthermore why is GiffGaff explicitly asking people to breach UK Identity and Passport Service guidelines?

newcomer
stu8975

Make sure you include all the digits when inputting the the data, that includes the 2 digits that are spaced apart from the your main licence details (i missed these out when i first did it by mistake, included them and it was removed staright away)

supporter
mandesk

I had this same problem, even though I was typing in the correct numbers and letters, eventually I contacted an Agent, who passed it on to the Tech Team, and after about 2 weesk, it was eventually sorted. Not a real problem but why does it not work first time, and why 2 weeks to wait?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
newcomer
mriggs

I'll wait for the agent to respond.... but I'm becoming more concerned about GiffGaff compromising data privacy.

I will do some more research to understand if there is a contravention of regulations here.