Help & Support

newcomer
mking1984

Cannot receive SMS on Nexus 5

Hi guys

Just bought a Nexus 5, put a new giffgaff sim in and transferred my number.  Everything seemed to be going fine although the transfer updated on my account about 10 hours before it updated my phone.

Number is now transferred (from Orange btw) and I can make/receive calls and send sms but cannot receive them. I did receive one which I believe was sent using Hangouts but others from non-smartphone users aren't arriving.

Any help would be appreciated.

counsellor
relko

Re: Cannot receive SMS on Nexus 5

Hello. You should probably try restarting your mobile as although it might sound like a simple solution, it quite often helps to fix connection problems

If that doesn't sort it, check the network and coverage in your local area for any issue which may be affecting the signal, here : http://www.bit.ly/ggservicestatus

If there are no reported issues, you might want to try a manual roam to refresh your network connection. This can work when a reboot fails.
Please see this guide : http://is.gd/manualroam

Get a free giffgaff Sim
pioneer
azeemkhan

Try to send a text to yourself and let us know if and how long it took to receive it.
Sent from a Samsung Galaxy
newcomer
mking1984

No service issues reported and I've texted myself twice, once before and once after a manual roam. Neither have arrived.

SMS sent by something other than hangouts should still be picked up by hangouts at my end, correct?
newcomer
stevenpenman1690

Im all of a sudden unable to text or phone network unavailable... Maybee theres something not been picked up thats an issue. This happened a few weeks ago
newcomer
mking1984

Still nothing working here. Tried several reboots but am only receiving texts sent from hangouts. Very annoying on a new phone.
richarddavidson
Topics: 13
Kudos: 315
Best Answers: 144

[ Edited ]

It should work but using Hangouts isn't the most intuitive of experiences.

Try sending a text differently. Open your "People" app (that's the app with the blue and white smiling face).

Chose a contact from the list, yourself for example. Now press on the dark grey rectangle on the right next to your number. Hangouts will open and in the box at the bottom where you type it will say in light grey "Send an SMS message". Now type something in the box.

Send yourself the message. You should get it. I know it works because I just did it.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
pupil
geeza99

hello you should try restarting your phone it helps
newcomer
mking1984

Thanks Richard but that text hasn't arrived either. I'm wondering if something went wrong during the number port. What's my next move from here?
richarddavidson
Topics: 13
Kudos: 315
Best Answers: 144

I'm not sure what to do now. It's odd that you can call okay and even send SMS but not receive them.

Normally if a number port goes wrong there are issues with calls and texts in general.

I guess you should ask an agent for help at this stage. Tell them what the problem is and what you've tried and they'll be able to look at your account and troubleshoot for any account related issues.

You can contact an agent by sending a message from the following link: https://giffgaff.com/support/ask
Get a free giffgaff Sim