Help & Support

xpz393
Topics: 15
Kudos: 537
Best Answers: 16
Best Answer

Change voicemail number on HTC Desire (Android)

I bought my HTC Desire 'unlocked' from new, and have only ever used it with giffgaff. When the 'self setup' popped up, it only gave me the options of 'O2' or 'Tesco Mobile' (it didn't know of giffgaff!) so I had to do quite a bit of fiddling about with the data settings etc to get it to work, but there now.

However, the one thing I can't fathom out is how to change the voicemail number from O2's 901. If I go to:

Settings

Call

Voicemail Service

The only option I get here is 'my carrier'. Pressing the menu button or trying to de-select does nothing.

I then go to:

Settings

Call

Voicemail Settings

Here, I seem to be able to edit the voicemail number. I change it to 443, press OK but then get the following error

"Voicemail number change unsuccessful. Please contact your carrier if this problem persists."

Anyone managed to get around this?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
head honcho
jack17938
Mobile Phone: Nokia E7

Re: Change voicemail number on HTC Desire (Android)

Sorry I cannot be of help - I have looked around and cannot see any answers.

xpz393

jack17938 wrote:

Sorry I cannot be of help - I have looked around and cannot see any answers.

Thanks for looking, Jack.

If anyone else can crack it, please let me know :smileyhappy:

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
novice
webcash

Try this on your main home screen press the menu key then go into settings then call then voicemail settings then change the number select ok and it should say voicemail number changed and all should be fine and dandy Hope this helps and if so would love a click on my kudos Thanks Peter
pupil
dan44762000

I have also tried doing precisely what you have and to no avail.

I suggest asking in one of the many htc desire forums and if you get success to post the solution here.

Regards Daniel

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
xpz393

webcash wrote:
Try this on your main home screen press the menu key then go into settings then call then voicemail settings then change the number select ok and it should say voicemail number changed and all should be fine and dandy Hope this helps and if so would love a click on my kudos Thanks Peter

Thanks webcash, but unfortunately - like I said in my original post - I already tried this and get an error message :smileysad: It's almost as though it's locked out somehow.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
newcomer
magicpatch

I get the same error when I attempt to change mine too, and this is on a simfree desire, I guess as its reading it from the SIM its not changing it in software.

- Matt
head honcho
jack17938
Mobile Phone: Nokia E7

Here's a tip...

To stop giffgaff telling your phone that there is a voice mail message using messages and the home screen of your phone you can ask giffgaff to send you a text letting you know of a voice mail message.

This means you don't get an annoying voice mail symbol on your home screen.

This can be done by phoning 443 at standard rates and it is in the settings.

consultant
paul_shirley

magicpatch wrote:

I get the same error when I attempt to change mine too, and this is on a simfree desire, I guess as its reading it from the SIM its not changing it in software.

If true its worth trying to change it in a different phone, Android seems to have problems writing to SIMs but reads OK.

novice
webcash

I understand this may be a bit of a cludge but have you considered installing hullomail.Its visual voicemail , its free and it works on android and they are a uk based company i believe .Just a thought i know i use that as my main voicemail 

Peter