Help & Support

newcomer
ajbrima

Incoming number getting "number not recognised"

A friend of mine can't call my giffgaff number as it says "number not recognised". I can call him and he can text me so the number is correct and not being dialled wrong, its just voice calls.

I sent a message to giffgaff team and they suggested it might be SIM card. I've tested my SIM in another phone and the call comes through fine. This means his phone is ok and my SIM is ok. So this narrows it down to my iPhone. All other friends can call fine, but just this one number can't get through.

I have searched the web, but there doesn't seem to be a way for the iPhone to block calls? Anyone else had this issue and can help?

knoppixeu
Topics: 64
Kudos: 212
Ideas: 9
Best Answers: 46

Re: Incoming number getting "number not recognised"

Contact an agent about this http://support.giffgaff.com/app/ask
★ If my ramblings have been helpful, click the orange star under this banner, on the right! Thank-you★
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
garethp
Topics: 11
Kudos: 205
Best Answers: 88

[ Edited ]

an agent won't be able to help as it is a phone settings problem - it has been confirmed the sim is ok.

are there any apps on your phone that could provide call blocking? I believe by default the iphone does not support this.

I assume other people can call you on the iphone?

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Has this post answered your question? If so, please mark as solution.
seer
giffgafful

Have the person call you manually entering your number, rather than the phonebook entry, perhaps trying the +44 format as well to see what happens.

greenman
Topics: 124
Kudos: 756
Best Answers: 306

Put his name in your contacts and assign a ringtone.
That should help
newcomer
ajbrima

The agents can't help. Already tried. 

I've tried also manually dialling in both international and UK versions. Still the same issue

garethp
Topics: 11
Kudos: 205
Best Answers: 88

[ Edited ]

see if there are any phone updates on itunes.

failing that, you may need to do a factory reset - not sure if backup and restore would restore the problem after the reset.

make a backup, wipe, then restore

if that does not work, do a wipe and see if it works then

worst comes to the worst, you can always restore your backup and you are back where you started.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Has this post answered your question? If so, please mark as solution.
newcomer
ajbrima

The number is in my contacts with a default ringtone. The call doesn't even reach my phone. Texts get through though.
newcomer
ajbrima

The phone has all latest updates. The only thing I think left to try is the restore/reset.
seer
giffgafful

ajbrima wrote:

The agents can't help. Already tried. 

I've tried also manually dialling in both international and UK versions. Still the same issue

Thanks for confirming. Ok, a bit more drastic, but once you have ensured you have a backup of anything you are not willing to lose, you could try a hard reset of the phone on which you are experiencing the problem. To make sure the problem is with your phone, maybe try a call to another SIM in the problematic phone from this caller first if you have access to one.