Help & Support

beginner
dianemk
Best Answer

Is this a scam?

Wow, well my first impressions of Giffgaff are not good, to say the least.

They take money off you before you can activate your SIM?  I have never experienced this before.

I want to keep my old number, so followed the instructions on their FAQs.  What they fail to tell you on the FAQs is that you have to pay them £10 minimum before you can even proceed to the first step.

I bit the bullet and went for it.  All seemed well, until I then got a message telling me that the payment had not been made.  I was at this stage merely frustrated, however, this immediately turned to suspicion when I went to "contact us" and there was only an email address.

It is a legal requirment to display an email address, telephone number and address if you are a UK company accepting online payments

I had never hear of GiffGaff before.  Is all this one big scam?

Dianemk
contributor
zanityman

Re: Is this a scam?

First off, I don't work for giffgaff and anything I say here is my personal view:

dianemk wrote:

Sorry to hear that

They take money off you before you can activate your SIM?  I have never experienced this before.

I'd imagine GG do this as it means the numbers only get given to 'active' users rather than all the sims people order.

I want to keep my old number, so followed the instructions on their FAQs.  What they fail to tell you on the FAQs is that you have to pay them £10 minimum before you can even proceed to the first step.

Well, you need an active sim. To do this, you pay £10

I bit the bullet and went for it.  All seemed well, until I then got a message telling me that the payment had not been made.

Your best bet is to 'ask an advisor' in the 'my giff gaff' part of the site. However, I'd imagine that a member of staff will see this thread.

I was at this stage merely frustrated, however, this immediately turned to suspicion when I went to "contact us" and there was only an email address.

That's because it's all online - no call centres - which in my experience is a VERY good thing

It is a legal requirment to display an email address, telephone number and address if you are a UK company accepting online payments

If you have a link to a site to back this up, I'm sure GG would rectify it.

No. It isn't. The service is brilliant, value for money is excellent and you'll find everyone in the forums very helpful (and the agents are too).

I hope you get this sorted soon - there's much more good stuff about GG than your experience so far!

Cheers - ZM

I don't work for GiffGaff, I'm just a very happy customer! Views expressed above are my own personal views are not necessarily those of giffgaff.

maestro
commsyeo

Ok, I can't find a number to call but there is an email address and postal address here.

It isn't a scam - I've been using a giffgaff SIM since Xmas and all I can say is that it works and it is cheap. I'm sorry to hear about your experience but it would be worse the other way round where the paymant was taken but no service was provided.

As for having to pay £10 to activate, well you would have to pay to put some credit on the phone unless you wanted a phone that could only receive calls.

CY

beginner
dianemk

Thanks for replying zanityman.  I still feel that for a company who advertise as being open, ethical etc there has been some element of deceipt. 
Your point about the call centre is a valid one - however if this had happened with my current provider I would have spoken to them by now and would know whether or not they had taken money out of my bank account.

I always hold my hands up when I'm wrong and actually they don't need a phone number.  However, the address should be clear (I have searched and can't find it, so if it is there, it's not clear - why not be on the contact us page, where you'd expect to see it).

I wait with bated breath and hope that you're right!!

Dianemk
associate
clongbottom

Diane,

We understand your frustration, and many of us initially also thought "this is too good to be true" etc. etc.

But you'll see by the number of active people in the community, that most of have excellent experiences with this VERY real mobile phone network.

I noticed a thread yesterday suggesting other people/person had been having trouble making the £10 payment.

I hope you do get your sim activated succesfully and that you stick around.

Also, note that because giffgaff members CAN get paid £5 for referring their friends, giffgaff would loose a lot of money if you could do this without topping up to activate the sim card. 

former giff-staffer
vincent

dianemk wrote:

I bit the bullet and went for it.  All seemed well, until I then got a message telling me that the payment had not been made.  I was at this stage merely frustrated, however, this immediately turned to suspicion when I went to "contact us" and there was only an email address.

Hi dianemk,

First off, I am a member of staff here at giffgaff.

I am sorry to hear your first impression of giffgaff is not a good one.

To clear a few things up, in order to activate your sim, you have to topp up with £10. This does not mean we take your £10. You can simply use this £10 to make phone calls, send texts, access the internet, etc.

So it's not 'lost' by any means.

You wanted to keep your old number, which is fair enough, but we can't port that number in for you, untill you have a giffgaff number (which is one of the UK rules for companies to port in a number from a different network.). The only way to assign you a mobile number, is for you to activate your sim, by topping up.

Unfortunately your payment did not go through, and there can be a range of reasons for this. You can simply contact us through the email address you already found, as we do not have call centres (hence no phone number) as part of giffgaff strategy, and we'll try to sort this out for you as quick as possible.

Make sure you give us the following information for us to help you as quick and efficient as possible:

Your name

Your username (dianemk)

And the long number on your simcard

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
beginner
dianemk

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I would have to top up.  My point was that this is the first time I have ever been asked to pay a company money before I can activate the SIM.  As I am keeping my number, I have to go through a process before I will even be able to make a call.  In the meantime, GiffGaff will have my money for a service I can't use yet (a typical ploy of "big business"). 

I see you found the address.  The "contact us" page would be a more usual place for this, rather than at the bottom of the T & Cs.

Sorry, I know I'm ranting somewhat!  In my own business I'm an absolute stickler for customer service and being up front - GiffGaff gave me the impression that they were and so far I have found the opposite

Dianemk
beginner
dianemk

Aha!  Thanks Clongbottom!!  The £5 referral explains it.  Maybe GiffGaff could post this on their FAQs? "why do I have to top up before I can activate my card"  It all makes sense now.  Thanks!

Dianemk
former giff-staffer
vincent

[ Edited ]

dianemk wrote:

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I would have to top up.  My point was that this is the first time I have ever been asked to pay a company money before I can activate the SIM.  As I am keeping my number, I have to go through a process before I will even be able to make a call.  In the meantime, GiffGaff will have my money for a service I can't use yet (a typical ploy of "big business"). 

I see you found the address.  The "contact us" page would be a more usual place for this, rather than at the bottom of the T & Cs.

Sorry, I know I'm ranting somewhat!  In my own business I'm an absolute stickler for customer service and being up front - GiffGaff gave me the impression that they were and so far I have found the opposite

You will be able to use the service straight away, on your new giffgaff number.

There is no way for any mobile company to port you in before you have an account with them.

If you look at the bottom of the page, you will find the link 'Contact Us', which links straight through to our email address. So there is no need to look at the T's & C's for this.

You can also go to our 'Support' pages (the link can be found in the top navigation) and there you'll find a search box, which should help you with any issues you might be having. And you will also find a link there, which allows you to 'Ask an Agent'. Which also gives you an option to contact us.

And then there is of course also our very helpful community.

If there is anything else I or the community can help you with, just let us know :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
beginner
dianemk

[ Edited ]

"You will be able to use the service straight away, on your new giffgaff number"
According to your website there will be a loss of service and that you "cannot offer assurances about the length of time you will be without a service".  Is this incorrect?

"There is no way for any mobile company to port you in before you have an account with them"
I see you like to use jargon  - very off putting for customers.  I have no idea what "port you in" means (sounds like something from Star Trek!!).  I said that I had never had to pay pre activation before.  One of your customers very kindly answered that one for me

"And if you look at the bottom of the page, you will find the link 'Contact Us', which links straight through to our email address. So there is no need to look at the T's & C's for this."

Your company address does not appear on the Contact Us page

"And then there is of course also our very helpful community"
Indeed

Dianemk