Help & Support

styly
Topics: 624
Kudos: 3,665
Ideas: 15
Best Answers: 791

Re: Is unlimited Internet really unlimited?

UNLIMITED DATA

Giffgaff offer Unlimited Internet on the £10 goodybag and above.

THERE IS NO FAIR USE POLICY / DATA LIMIT

But there ARE terms and conditions regarding usage patterns:

The only things you need to remember are:
NO TETHERING
NO CONSTANT DOWNLOADING OR STREAMING

You can use as much data as you like, i've personally used over 20gb quite a few times..
..just dont hammer the network :smileyhappy:

TIPS:
Use wifi whenever possible
Stream movies instead of downloading them
If you download/stream a large file, wait a while before downloading/streaming any more..
If you're streaming a football match, stop the stream at half time then reconnect at kick off

Its all about using the data FAIRLY..
There's no actual Fair Use Policy, as giffgaff are trusting us to use our common sense..
People have been banned for using around 3gb, but that was obviously done in a short space of time, therefore deserving a ban

Todays phones are very powerful and have great quality screens for watching movies, tv and playing games etc
Movies are around 1gb each
Streaming a football match uses around 1gb
Albums are around 200mb
Games can be up to 2gb each with additional files

..so its easy to use large amounts of data, especially if, like me, you have no wifi available

THE 1% THAT GET BANNED

The people in this 1% (the ones that recieve a ban) are downloading files, either tethered or transferred off their mobiles later, or streaming videos from their mobile phone to TV's, downloading everything off iTunes, to listen to on other devices outside of their mobiles or anything else you can think of, that basically means the use was never intended for use on a mobile or only partly (as examples: downloading more music than could realistically fit on your phone, or a need to download and watch HD quality movies on a mobile device or stream video content for more than 8 hours a day are all either not intended for mobile use or can be considered a highly unlikely usage pattern).
"You can jail the Revolutionary, but you can never jail the Revolution"
MY GIFFGAFF FLYERS AND RECRUITING TIPS // NEW SIM ENVELOPE DESIGN - NO GLUE DOTS!!!
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
rg6
Topics: 46
Kudos: 217
Best Answers: 1

If you watch endless You Tube videos you will more than likely end up getting cut off, possibly without warning. Unfortunately the unlimited internet is only unlimited as long as you don't use too much of it.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
expert
greenfrogman

try to keep usage below 750mb an day or risk ending up with an data bar been placed on your account (use apps like 3g Watchdog or Dataman)

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Click here to Order your free Giffgaff sim Giffgaff £18 goodybag with Unlimited Web use, not data (Recommend setting phone to warn at 10GB of data usage)
Greenfrog Computers

newcomer
fi_hogg

'Why do people keep asking about unlimited? Theres more than enough threads if people just search for them!!! They should invent a system where people get a 50000 volt electric shock for making daft n pointless threads!!! Smilyfrustrated!!!'

Oh thank you for your help bmw4175 :smileyindifferent:

Thanks everyone though! :smileyhappy:
syzeki
Topics: 2
Kudos: 22
Best Answers: 10

When giffgaff say unlimited thats exactly what they mean!

Tethering is when you gain Internet access on other items (other then your phone) using the phones data plan.

Just be careful not to break the rules! And try not to abuse the usage too much- other then that it should be fine!! Im practically on the web all the time with my phone.

Have fun (:
syzeki

When giffgaff say unlimited thats exactly what they mean!

Tethering is gaining Internet access on other items (other then your phone) using the phones data plan.

Just be careful not to break the rules! And try not to abuse the usage too much- other then that it should be fine!! Im practically on the web all the time with my phone.

Have fun (:
syzeki

Sorry for the double post! On my phone at the moment and apparently it decided not to tell me it'd posted! Instead it said there was an error -_-....

:smileyhappy:
m9xx7demix
Kudos: 266
Ideas: 13
Best Answers: 131

It is unlimited for non-commercial, private use and must not be used for tethering - you could be banned for doing that. Try one of the gigabags:
£5 500MB
£7.50 1GB
£12.50 3GB

Tethering is using your mobile as a Wi-Fi modem on the go so that other devices can use that modem when there is no Wi-Fi for them to use.
Kind regards, Mickey

Free calls and texts to other giffgaff members, calls, minutes and internet for £5 a month, free £5 credit...
Click here to get your FREE SIM now!
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/m9xx7demix
jburnham96
Kudos: 2,325
Best Answers: 245

If you use 1GB in an hour you get an instant data bar, it isn't actually unlimited. And you can teather your phone to say an iPad or laptop and it will create a Wi-Fi hotspot to use the internet on them, it's an annoying and irritating rule as the data is ours to use in which ever way to want.

Hope I have cleared this up for you :smileyhappy:
The gaff signatureOrder a SIM card bannerSend me a PM banner
professor
sheddi

fi_hogg wrote:
Hi again!

Is unlimited Internet really unlimited? What is tethering because I know this isnt allowed but I don't even know what it is?

Giffgaff state that the internet is unlimited but will bar you if you use more than 1GB in an hour. In theory they'll then reinstate it if you confirm that you'll abide by the T&C, but some users report having been permanently banned.

Don't worry about tethering; you've got an iPhone and you'd need to jailbreak and then install 3rd-party apps to tether. So long as you don't do that, you won't end up tethering!

Giffgaff's company motto: Communication is our business, not our strong point.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
To order a SIM from me (go on, you know you want to), click here: Get a free Giffgaff Sim