Help & Support

novice
victor12345
Best Answer

Just bought new Iphone 5, how to transfer old giffgaff number?

Hello all,

So I just bought a new Iphone 5, and I already have an old LG TU720 phone, which has a giffgaff normal simcard and a giff gaff number. I have had this number for about 6 months now.

I have just ordered the nano simcard for the Iphone, it should be here in 3 days.

My question is: Since this new nano simcard will have a different number, can I transfer my old giffgaff number (on my normal simcard inside my LG TU720) to the new nano simcard?

Thanks all.

endorphin
Kudos: 8,239
Best Answers: 6,079

Re: Just bought new Iphone 5, how to transfer old giffgaff number?

jmistry
Topics: 6
Kudos: 843
Best Answers: 673

When you receive the new sim you can carry out a sim swap

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/How-to-use-SIM-Swap/td-p/6885194

All your details will be switched over to the new sim.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
chaosuk44
Topics: 10
Kudos: 339
Best Answers: 141

victor12345 wrote:

Hello all,

So I just bought a new Iphone 5, and I already have an old LG TU720 phone, which has a giffgaff normal simcard and a giff gaff number. I have had this number for about 6 months now.

I have just ordered the nano simcard for the Iphone, it should be here in 3 days.

My question is: Since this new nano simcard will have a different number, can I transfer my old giffgaff number (on my normal simcard inside my LG TU720) to the new nano simcard?

Thanks all.

When it arrives, activate it via sim swap and it will be activated with your current number etc.

Make sure you DONT start a new account to activate it :smileyhappy:

The A-Z of sim swap can be found here: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084

Remember that the original sim will be rendered inactive when the process completes

Remember to Accept solutions to problems (When you find the right one)
Give Kudos to those who deserve it :smileyhappy:
Get a free giffgaff Sim
thesmellyone
Kudos: 1,113
Best Answers: 438

yes you can transfer the number to the nano sim

do a sim swap;

How does SIM Swap work?

SIM Swap is the operation of replacing your existing SIM with a new SIM card. Before you start, you need another SIM, which has never been activated. If you don't have an unactivated SIM at hand, you can order a new SIM of any size here.

Here is the method to perform a SIM Swap. 

1.  Back-up all your contacts and texts saved on your SIM to your phone memory, as these data cannot be transfered through SIM Swap.
  2. Log out of your giffgaff account, and click "Activate SIM" on the home page.
  3. Enter the Activation code of the New SIM card.
  4. When on the account registration page, instead of registering, log in with the link in the "already registered?" section.

This is where SIM Swap starts. It will confirm that you want to swap SIMs. (You need to double check the serial numbers, just in case.)

5. After choosing "Yes" each time you are asked, your old SIM will be deactivated, and you will lose signal.

6. Put the new SIM in your phone, and it  takes around to 10 minutes  for the SIM to become active.

The best is to leave the phone turned off with the new SIM in for 10 minutes, then turning it on and off until you get signal.

7. You have completed SIM Swap! Enjoy.

reddevils2012
Topics: 3
Kudos: 154
Best Answers: 74

Handiest thing to do once you have your nano sim is a sim swap see this link
http://bit.ly/ggsimswap
Get a free giffgaff Sim
novice
victor12345

What an awesome reply thesmellyne, thanks a lot! I accepted your answer, and gave you 5 stars and 1 kudo, am new to this forum so not sure what else I can do to mark your answer as 'the winner'.

Anyway, really good, and really detailed, big thanks!
thesmellyone
Kudos: 1,113
Best Answers: 438

Thank you :smileyhappy:

But the credit should go to the search function of the site and the knowledge base documents.

Anyway glad you're up and running.