Help & Support

newcomer
dannycarr1
Best Answer

No service on Samsung Galaxy S3 - all APN settings correct.

Hi,

There are lots of threads with similar titles to this, but I have tried all of the common solutions (manual roam, factory reset) and nothing works.

I only registered with giffgaff lately and everything was working fine for the first few days.

Then, Saturday morning, I lost service on my Samsung Galaxy S3. I still had bars but my phone said emergency calls only and I have not received any texts/calls since. My internet was still working I think (not Wifi, my mobile data still worked).

I assumed this was related to the service issues O2 were having, but still today I have had no service on my S3 since Saturday.

But when I put my giffgaff sim card in my Xperia arc it worked fine and I received the texts that had been delivered while the sim was in the S3.

I have tried restarting, performing a factory reset, setting up the APNs again, turning on/off the phones proximity sensor but still have no luck. I have also checked the phones IMEI in case it had for some reason been wrongly blocked, and it has not.

Any ideas?

professor
giffgaff_1

Re: No service on Samsung Galaxy S3 - all APN settings correct.

have you tried the giffgaffAPN from Google play
GetafreeGiffgaffSim
adept
nigelg

This is strange. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact an agent. They may be able to see what is wrong.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
newcomer
dannycarr1

Yes I have tried the giffgaffAPN app, even though I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't work on ICS.

I also thought that the APN was only for internet and mms anyway, I thought I should receive texts and calls regardless?

I've tried contacting an agent, no reply yet so thought I'd try here.

wedgie42

How long have you had this phone ??
Where did you buy it from ??
Was it new or second hand ??
rookie
mikewhiteoliver

I'm thinking it could be blocked, too.

steward
danny2029dw

I had same prob since network outage all i did was
Sertings
More settings
Mobile networks
Access point names
Then giffgaff... And delete the numbers in proxy.... Literally leave it blank!!! Solved it for me
Also try logging off the network completely ie search for network operators in that same settings menu click on any other than o2 or giffgaff or tesco then go back into it and re select giffgaff with proxy numbers blank
maestro
rjh71

First, have a quick check under Settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile Networks and make sure 'Use Packet Data' is selected.

Press the Back key until you return to the home screen, then restart your handset.

If that doesn't fix it, try connecting via WiFi and installing the Android Tweakker app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweakker&hl=en

There's a full guide for this at http://bit.ly/giffgaffandroid
newcomer
dannycarr1

I bought the phone in June or July and it worked fine previously on Three network. I've been using it for over 3 months.

Switched to giffgaff, everything worked, then suddenly just stopped.

I will try deleting the proxy numbers from the APN - so am I wrong in thinking that APN is only related to data and mms?

'Use packet data' is selected.

I'll try the Tweakker as well.

rookie
mikewhiteoliver

[ Edited ]

Did you get the device new? APN does not affect voice calls.