Help & Support

beginner
dotti

Nokia 5230 settings

Hi, have had problems with on and off with giffgaff internet connections since leaving Orange lastweek (phone is factory unlocked) and have taken the following steps (after much head scraching and hair pulling!):-

I removed sim and battery, cleaned contacts, put battery in and started phone offline with no sim. Cleared all the network destinations. Reset phone to factory settings. Turned off, put giffgaff sim in. Text settings to 2020, got the text and activated it confirming this was to be default. Now my network destinations are saying:-

Internet - I access Point  -  O2 Mobile Web. Priority 1

Multimedia msg - no access points

WAP Services - no access points

Uncategorised - 2 access points, Giffgaff WAP & Giffgaff MMS.

Is this right or should I move the uncategorised items?

It keeps trying to access O2 Mobile Web to connect to the internet and then tells me Packet Data connection not available! I'm going round and round in circles and am now totally confused.com! Please help!

tornado007
Topics: 32
Kudos: 421
Best Answers: 200

Re: Nokia 5230 settings

check here http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Definitive-APN-Settings-list/td-p/1279

For a free giffgaff sim + £5 free credit click the banner below

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
cinami
Topics: 82
Kudos: 650
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 6
Best Answers: 52

Have you made sure that giff gaff is default connection in each of your connection settings, internet, games, mms etc. Not to mention some people are having data issues today. My fone wasn't working for a while but its back on now. You will have to reset your homepage to something other than 02, possibly your email. I don't really understand nokia these days thought so don't take my word for it.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
enigma
jamesdn

You'll need to follow the advice in this guide (ignore steps 3 and 4 if your Nokia does not come with Nokia maps)

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Nokia-Sat-Nav-settings/m-p/140190#M3311
beginner
dotti

I've already looked at that but my nokia 5230 doesn't have a sub menu called "configuration"! Not quite sure where to go to find it!

beginner
dotti

[ Edited ]

well I've taken the bull by the horns, deleted the O2 internet setting and moved the 2 gg items to the appropriate place. I switched off and on, told it to connect automatically and at the moment can connect to the internet (and have noted gg is having problems today so that probably hasn't helped) although still got problems with maps. My battery is now flat so will have to try and sort the maps out later but as I'm at home I know where I am at the moment, lol.

Also just one other thing, how do I get the banner on my messages???

gladiator33
Topics: 41
Kudos: 642
Best Answers: 253

[ Edited ]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

dotti wrote:

well I've taken the bull by the horns, deleted the O2 internet setting and moved the 2 gg items to the appropriate place. I switched off and on, told it to connect automatically and at the moment can connect to the internet (and have noted gg is having problems today so that probably hasn't helped) although still got problems with maps. My battery is now flat so will have to try and sort the maps out later but as I'm at home I know where I am at the moment, lol.

Also just one other thing, how do I get the banner on my messages???

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

see here for adding ur banner mate http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Adding-a-banner-to-your-signature/m-p/23738...

Click the image below for a free giffgaff sim plus £5 free credit :smileywink:

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
marvel
andy0

dotti wrote:

that's pretty good,but I'd say that some applications - and I'm not sure of that includes Maps or not - prefer to use an access point without a proxy

so it's slightly a pity you've deleted the O2 ones, as you could have edited O2 Mobile Web and called it gg web, with just the username and access point name altered

you could still do something similar - copy giffgaff WAP, rename the copy, and in Options > Advanced settings edit it to remove proxy details (set to None), and set the DNS details to either Automatic or the same as O2 Mobile Web, namely primary 193.113.200.200 and secondary 193.113.200.201

beginner
dotti

thanks for the suggestion but my maps seem to be working OK on the settings I've put in so I'll leave well alone on the premise if it ain't broke don't fix it! However, appreciate your feedback and will keep a note of it just in case!