Help & Support

newcomer
arronmark
Best Answer

Number changed with PAC code problem and issue with recharge of credit.

Hi there,

I decided yesterday to change my old number from Orange to my new network with GiffGaff using a PAC code. I did this before 3 p.m. and today am unfortunately still waiting for the number to be changed. I wanted, therefore, to ask how does the number change actually happen? Must I remove the SIM card or restart the telephone (iPhone 5)?

I have also just read that another credit must be charged to my phone for the acitivation (the minum being £10, I believe) and I don't wish to do that as I have, only 2 days ago, loaded the phone with £10; is there a way around this? As I feel it quite unfair to have customers pay twice simply for a change in number.

Thanks,

Arron M.

contributor
hksan

Re: Number changed with PAC code problem and issue with recharge of credit.

Porting stages - on the day of transfer:

1. Original sim stops working 2. Giffgaff sim stops working 3. Giffgaff sim works (calls, texts and data will happen at different times) 4. Website gets updated with new number on your account ( website may take up to 24 hours to update after porting) 5. All payback, goodybags, credit are transferred over.

The process should be completed by 9pm on the day of transfer.

1) With your old SIM in your handset, watch out for an error message on your screen - when you lose service, you will see an error message similar to 'SIM card registration failed.' At this point, put your giffgaff SIM into your mobile.

2) During the afternoon, switch the mobile off/on several times - the act of switching the mobile on causes a network search to start - until the transfer is completed this search will fail. When the number transfer is complete we will send you an email notification via My giffgaff, you will see giffgaff on the screen after switching your mobile on.
newcomer
arronmark

That's brilliant thanks so far for your help. That means, in effect, I don't actually have to pay any more to recharge my phone this month?

Unfortunately, with my old number (Orange), I have actually no SIM card. The SIM card was lost a long time ago and I have only the number and the PAC code. I therefore cannot put the SIM card into my phone (of my old number from Orange). I have in my telephone at present my GiffGaff SIM card with its original number. Should I, then, take out the GiffGaff SIM card or even switch off the phone for a few hours and return it back on at 9 p.m.?

figment_uk
Kudos: 5,407
Best Answers: 2,903

arronmark wrote:

Hi there,

I decided yesterday to change my old number from Orange to my new network with GiffGaff using a PAC code. I did this before 3 p.m. and today am unfortunately still waiting for the number to be changed. I wanted, therefore, to ask how does the number change actually happen? Must I remove the SIM card or restart the telephone (iPhone 5)?

I have also just read that another credit must be charged to my phone for the acitivation (the minum being £10, I believe) and I don't wish to do that as I have, only 2 days ago, loaded the phone with £10; is there a way around this? As I feel it quite unfair to have customers pay twice simply for a change in number.

Thanks,

Arron M.

The transfer can happen at any time between about 9am and 9pm. If you wish to double check that yours is scheduled to happen today, click here > https://giffgaff.com/support/transfer

it should show the number you're bringing to giffgaff and the selected transfer date.

This guide provides full details of the process http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Getting-started/How-do-I-keep-my-mobile-number/ta-p/3521127

I think you've mis-read the part about adding credit, which actually says do not attempt to top-up  (or buy a goodybag) on the day of transfer, otherwise you risk losing it.

When the transfer is in progress, some strange things will happen. Both SIMs will lose service, your goodybag and/or credit will disappear from your dashboard (they will be reinstated when the transfer is completed) Services (Voice, text, data, voicemail) may start working then stop/start again, and will probably all start at different times.

Once the transfer is completed, you should do the following:

• Switch imessages off
  • Switch iphone off
  • Connect to itunes via USB (iphone will switch back on)
  • allow itunes to check for updates (may not find any)
  • synch iphone with itunes
  • switch imessages back on and allow to fully initialise
  • restart iphone.

otherwise your iPhone is likely to retain the number that came with your giffgaff SIM and use it when sending texts and imessages, in place of the number you ported in

One other thing to bear in mind. Orange are notoriously slow at disconnecting the old number on their servers, so the old SIM may not lose service when the tansfer process starts, and may still be active after your number has transferred over. It should all be sorted out by mid-morning on the day after transfer (tomorrow)

Get a free SIM card with £5 free credit by 1st class postGet a free SIM card with £5 free creditGet a free SIM card with £5 free credit
figment_uk
Kudos: 5,407
Best Answers: 2,903

arronmark wrote:

That's brilliant thanks so far for your help. That means, in effect, I don't actually have to pay any more to recharge my phone this month?

Unfortunately, with my old number (Orange), I have actually no SIM card. The SIM card was lost a long time ago and I have only the number and the PAC code. I therefore cannot put the SIM card into my phone (of my old number from Orange). I have in my telephone at present my GiffGaff SIM card with its original number. Should I, then, take out the GiffGaff SIM card or even switch off the phone for a few hours and return it back on at 9 p.m.?

No need to remove the SIM, just watch for it losing service, then allow about an hour before switching off/on at 30 minute intervals.

Get a free SIM card with £5 free credit by 1st class postGet a free SIM card with £5 free creditGet a free SIM card with £5 free credit