Help & Support

yalam96
Topics: 5
Kudos: 134
Best Answers: 3
Best Answer

Offensive username...

[ Edited ]

So apparently the username 'flaming[edit]' is offensive to people. Because of this, no warnings, I have been banned from the forum, and not allowed to earn payback.

I find this unnacceptable and I feel lied to, being promised payback. I've used that username for years on many different sites and this is the first time this happened. I'd like the communities thoughts on this.

This is the email:

Hi there,

hope you're well.
I have suspended your giffgaff account from the community due to your username. This is because, it is seen as offensive so goes against our community guidelines:

1. Usernames: Inappropriate usernames are subject to suspension.

13.1.              The term ‘inappropriate’ is defined by the Community Management Team (see point 13).

13.2.              Whilst not exhaustive this includes, obscene, defamatory or abusive, libelous, damaging, injurious, foul, swearing, racist, advertising of goods services and websites.

13.3.              Where an inappropriate community username is suspended, this means the account will no longer be able to participate on the community and as such will no longer receive payback for community contributions.

13.3.1.  The suspension will not affect the use of giffgaff mobile services for calls texts etc and nor will it stop payback being earned for recruitment.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-and-News/giffgaff-community-guidelines-please-read-first/td...

You can register again with the community with a more appropriate username. You can email me before you create a username if you want me to check it before you register.

If you have any questions, do email me back.

--
Zobia

Get a free giffgaff Sim
syorksdeano
Topics: 303
Kudos: 2,135
Best Answers: 191

Re: Offensive username...

I can see that some people would be offended by that username
`Please give me kudos if my reply was helpful.'

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
nuttymoo
Kudos: 219
Best Answers: 65
Mobile Phone: HTC Wildfire S

[ Edited ]

My guess is it was because of the word '[edit]' which is a horrible slang word for disabled.

Don't know if you meant it that way or not, but some people do take offense to that word

Don't forget to ACCEPT AS SOLUTION on the post that helped you :smileyvery-happy:
hamzee211
Kudos: 132
Best Answers: 16

syorksdeano wrote:
I can see that some people would be offended by that username

Do agree It may not be an offensive user name but does have an offensive word  :smileysad:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
dabbler
chris2409

Not the smartest of user names.
becki9
Topics: 25
Kudos: 69
Best Answers: 12

I don't know about you, but personally, I don't feel that loosing out on your payback is justified due to a username.

Get a free giffgaff microSIM
yalam96
Topics: 5
Kudos: 134
Best Answers: 3

Fair enough, I get that point. But I'd like to have the option to either change my username or move my credit/goodybag onto this account.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
dubdriver
Topics: 4
Kudos: 91
Best Answers: 27

[ Edited ]

[edit] is is used (by some) as an offensive slang word for person suffering from cerebal palsy (spastic).

sauron
Topics: 39
Best Answers: 242

Simply you had the chance to read carefully the terms of use concerning acceptable behaviour and through either ignorance or laziness you chose a name which is extremely offensive and as such not allowed and if you had any kind of common sense you would of worked this out before using it.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
becki9
Topics: 25
Kudos: 69
Best Answers: 12

yalam96 wrote:

Fair enough, I get that point. But I'd like to have the option to either change my username or move my credit/goodybag onto this account.

I'd agree with this.

And let's be completley honest, who, in all seriousness reads the terms and conditions when you sign up for things?

Get a free giffgaff microSIM