Help & Support

dabbler
beckywells
Best Answer

Phone insurance on second-hand mobile?

Hi guys,

So I bought a phone off eBay with no receipt. Works fine, has been brilliant, but after nearly totalling it in the bathroom I thought it was best to get it insured.

Of course most companies need a receipt of purchase which obviously I don't have.

Can anyone recommend any way of insuring it without the receipt?

I'm tempted to move to a contract phone to get warantee and insurance etc but don't wanna leave Giffgaff! 

pablo7
Topics: 7
Kudos: 144
Best Answers: 59

Re: Phone insurance on second-hand mobile?

if you get it covered in your home insurance (accidental damage) I would think they would not need a reciept. Don't hold me to that though....
Get a free giffgaff Sim
pathfinder
markb1j

If bought through paypal, you have a record on your account

Get a free giffgaff Sim
student
ntyagi

no u will be needing a receipt to prove your owner ship of the phone, if you have purchased from ebay then ofcourse u can go for the insurance as you paid to the seller for the phone for which you already have a record in the form of a transaction and phone model details.

but check with the insurance company as they will be accepting this as proof of ownership and phone being a second hand

If you like my reply please DO NOT forget to KUDOS me :smileyhappy: or marked the post as closed

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/ntyagi
Get a free giffgaff Sim
beginner
feefee1970

Oh im not really sure how that would work , but you have the payment details from ebay so theres your proof.....insurance company do there best not to pay out.. my pal got refused she said i did this to my phone yesterday and 40 mins later the lady said no claim she answered because you did it yesterday, which was said in the first min off the call
dabbler
beckywells

All companies such as ProtectMyBubble require an original purchase receipt that states the the IMEI number as well, which obviously a paypal balance doesn't show do unfortunately I don't think that would be enough. Home insurance sounds like my best bet.
1hale
Topics: 615
Kudos: 2,970
Ideas: 26
Best Answers: 233

Go to Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 You, Dial a Phone as all their pay as you go phones are unlocked to any network.

Also Tesco Direct sell SIM free phones.

All companies give you a receipt.

Tesco sell Nokia Lumia 800 SIM free for only £159.99
contributor
mikmac

Why pay insurance...

Just look after it a bit more.

It was never intended to replace a yellow plastic duck so why treat it like one.
zaphod_zoeller
Kudos: 734
Best Answers: 271

My personal opinion is that phone insurance isn't worth it unless you have the latest models, and then is only worth it for the first year.

With premiums as high as they are and the hassle involved if you ever do need to make a claim, you're just as well putting the money you would have paid for insurance aside ready to just buy a new phone if you damage/lose yours.

Also, most home contents policies will cover your phone for any damage caused at home (but obviously check that yours does)
newcomer
kriss1932

Regardless of how well you look after your phone accidents still happen!