augur
Best Answer

Phone network status versus dBm and asu indication

i know this one's a bit different but maybe someone out there may have an idea. I have a Sony Ericsson X10 on android 2.1. With my giffgaff sim in the phone I get an indication of "H" for network status, and HSDPA in "Mobile Network Type". While having these I have around -95 to -100 dBm, and an asu rating of around 6-10. If I put a T-Mobile/Orange sim in the same phone I get an indication of "G", and GPRS in "Mobile Network Type", but I get -77dBm and around 15-20 asu. I have searched for this information on the web before and everything I've read says that the -dBm and asu figures are more accurate indicators of connection strength. The figures I get from T-Mobile are much better when measured using the dBm and asu criteria even though the phone indication status, ie H and HSDPA, indicate the opposite. There are apps in the market to display dBm and asu figures instead of the G or H symbol as these figures are the best indication of connection strength. I know this is more technical than the usual posts here but just thought I'd ask and see if there are any techies around with an opinion.

Best Answer
Chosen by topic author suppers_ready
enigma

Re: Phone network status versus dBm and asu indication

Doesn't dBm measure signal strength, where as H, G etc are indicators of type of signal, rather than the strength of the signal?

Don't know whether or not you've ever tried this, on Android you can dial *#*#4636#*#* to put the phone into testing to view signal strength etc without an app.

View Best Answer in original post

All Replies
pupil

this isnt an OVERLY technical answer...but it certainly seems like the dBm and asu figures could be more accurate as i know there are several places I go to that display full 3G but the internet speeds are often slower than in areas without it....whereas some areas with 3G are lightning fast...that might help? Smiley Happy

Get a free Giffgaff SimGet a free Giffgaff Sim
Best Answer
Chosen by topic author suppers_ready
enigma

Doesn't dBm measure signal strength, where as H, G etc are indicators of type of signal, rather than the strength of the signal?

Don't know whether or not you've ever tried this, on Android you can dial *#*#4636#*#* to put the phone into testing to view signal strength etc without an app.
augur

@jamesdn - You may well be correct on that one, I don't profess to being very techie on this subject myself. I'm just looking at it from the angle that what we perceive from our phone's indicator can be misleading regarding the H and G indicators, in that from the scenario I described I get faster connection with the lower -dBm and higher asu figures, even though I am on an indicated G network rather an indicated H network with a higher -dBM and lower asu figures. I still get acceptable data connection in both scenarios though. Thanks for your post.

Kudos: 1,997
Best Answers: 844

If you see G on your phone that is an indication that the phone is connected to a cell in a 2G mode and will do data using GPRS.

Similarly, E wiill indicate EDGE capability in use.

H indicates HSDPA is available.

Each can have its own individual levels of signal strength associated with it.

H is not an indication of a strong signal, it's an indication that a HSDPA connection is available. HSDPA is actually quite a solid performer on lower signal strength.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim