Help & Support

newcomer
grannybuttons3
Best Answer

Phone with FM radio and wireless hotspot feature

I'm looking for a new cheap phone that has both FM radio  *and*  wireless hotspot built in. Would be grateful for any suggestions. 

I bought a Nokia Lumia 520 cash purchase from Three - my mistake. I thought that as I wasn't getting it on contract it would be sim-free, but no such luck!  Not only is it tied to 3 (gah!) but 

1:  It doesn't have FM built in (if I'd bought it from Nokia, I was told by the Nokia helpline it would have) 

2:  the wireless hotspot feature works, but switches itself off after 5 mins if it's not being used. This is a pain in the backside. I want the hotspot to stay on so I don't have to keep switching it back on. 

Do any of the cheap Giffgaff phones ( >£150) have these two features (I'm now turned off by Lumia, I think) 

If not, can anyone suggest another phone? 

Also, I realised that standard giffgaff doesn't allow tethering - I was hoping to swap sims regularly, as I also have a sim-only Three One Plan which does allow tethering. 

Supplementary question:  I have a Gigabag sim in my mifi. Would it work as 'hotspot-only' in a phone? 

Thanks 

Andrew 

associate
ukadi17

Re: Phone with FM radio and wireless hotspot feature

Have you considered the Huawei Y300? I use it to tether on three as well, and it also has an FM radio which I don't use as I access radio stations using the Tune-In App.
UKADI Driving Instructor
pw1987
Topics: 6
Kudos: 220
Best Answers: 64

Sadly the only bit of this I can answer is the Suplementary one... You could use a SIM with a gigabag as a hotspot in a phone and use it to tether. You could also do this with a £10 goodybag which has a limit on the internet usage. You would also still be able to make calls and texts using credit on the SIM with a gigabag 

newcomer
grannybuttons3

Thanks, that's an idea. I hardly make any calls, perhaps 60mins/month, most people ring me. I'd mainly use it instead of my mifi.
newcomer
grannybuttons3

Does this mean a Gigabag can be added to a normal phone to add tethering? I got the impression a Gigabag was just for tablets/mifis etc
thewww

grannybuttons3 wrote:
Does this mean a Gigabag can be added to a normal phone to add tethering? I got the impression a Gigabag was just for tablets/mifis etc

yes if you have no goodybag running you can have a gigabag on a phone

newcomer
grannybuttons3

Also, thanks for the bit about radio. The problem with internet radio is the data. I listen to a lot of FM radio, and the attraction is twofold - it doesn't use up data allowance, and you can use it even when you can't pick up a data signal. It's a nuisance to have to carry a separate pocket radio.