Help & Support

newcomer
sol_3
Best Answer

Swap to 4G sim issues (Nexus 5)

Hey guys
I recently registered my interest in 4G with Giffgaff and ordered a new 4G sim to replace my old 3G one. I have had perfect data usage since I got my phone with that old sim, now with the same APN settings and everything else along with "preffered network" selected as 3G the data seems to have stopped working, the signal is the same but its no longer getting the little g or E next to my bars like I used to when data was working. Obviously I checked this by opening a browser but I was wondering if it could be any settings that need to be changed now that 4G is being rolled out?
rebelyell
Topics: 222
Kudos: 2,337
Ideas: 1
Best Answers: 537

Re: Swap to 4G sim issues (Nexus 5)

No there's no change in the settings. I have a Nexus 5 with a 4G SIM in it and everything works just as it did before.

Check your settings against the ones below, these are the ones I have installed. Take special note to make sure that the "APN type" field is correct and restart your phone after saving the settings.

Connection Name: giffgaff
APN: giffgaff.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not Set
Username: giffgaff
Password: password
Server: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 82.132.254.1
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
Authentication Type: "PAP or CHAP"
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: IMSI
MVNO value: 23410x
rayhoo
Topics: 22
Kudos: 4,040

sol_3 wrote:
Hey guys
I recently registered my interest in 4G with Giffgaff and ordered a new 4G sim to replace my old 3G one. I have had perfect data usage since I got my phone with that old sim, now with the same APN settings and everything else along with "preffered network" selected as 3G the data seems to have stopped working, the signal is the same but its no longer getting the little g or E next to my bars like I used to when data was working. Obviously I checked this by opening a browser but I was wondering if it could be any settings that need to be changed now that 4G is being rolled out?

Hi,

Check for service availability in your area here  https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Solve-your-questions/How-do-I-check-coverage/ta-p/3487749

Try removing the SIM, intended that is clean and in good condition.

Is everything else working okay, calls etc.?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Gen. note: Text "PASS" to 43430 to confirm your username, account e-mail address, and a password reset link.
psl184
Topics: 8
Kudos: 219
Best Answers: 58

Did you activate new sim card and do a sim swap ?
Get a free giffgaff Sim

help4mobiles.co.uk
natty88
Topics: 97
Kudos: 2,733
Best Answers: 611

eddiehk6
Kudos: 528
Best Answers: 333

As you haven't got any indicator, also do a sanity check and make sure your data is switch on ('data enabled' is ticked)

(Just for reference, if you see E or G on your status bar, these are slow speeds. 3G and H are faster, eventually you'll see 4G if you pay for it and have coverage :smileyhappy: )

If I helped solve your issue, and to help others searching, please Set as Best Answer

If I was a little helpful, or if I made you :smileyvery-happy: ~~~~~~~~ :smileytongue:__*#* +★KUDOS *#*__:smileytongue:

| Setup your phone's internet | Other handy guides | ROOTING YOUR ANDROID DEVICE |
rayhoo
Topics: 22
Kudos: 4,040

sol_3 wrote:
Hey guys

If the service is good in your areas then you should have 3g or H etc. as soon you put the SIM in your phone regardless of data settings.

Add you able to test the SIM in another handset?

If not, and changes then just order new SIM in case you need to carry out a SIM Swap again.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Gen. note: Text "PASS" to 43430 to confirm your username, account e-mail address, and a password reset link.