Help & Support

newcomer
_nick

The SIM card installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported

I aquired a new iPhone 5 from my girlfriends father yesterday & today I cut down my Giff Gaff Micro Sim to a Nano Sim that I've been using in my Galaxy S2 for a few months now.

I followed a template that I printed online & cut the Micro Sim to a Nano with precision, it's exactly the same dimensions as the real thing. I did not touch any of the copper contacts whilst doing it.

When I insert the sim card I get the message 'Activation Required' followed by a lengthy message:

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information

I was under the impression any O2 locked phone could be used with a Giff Gaff sim card? What's the dealio here

dannymorgan6783
Topics: 9
Kudos: 48
Best Answers: 10

Re: The SIM card installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported

[ Edited ]
Hi there,

You will need to order a Nano SimCard from "Spread giffgaff", on your main page. :smileyhappy:
enigma
macca28

Re: The SIM card installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported

newcomer
_nick

I have done so already, but being the impatient and confident individual I am I decided to cut my Micro Sim down myself.

I used a template provided online & had an O2 Nano Sim for reference. They match up 99%

Is this message a result of me bodging my sim, or do I need to get the phone unlocked?

dannymorgan6783

You will need to activate the simcard by toping it up with £10.

Good luck!
dannymorgan6783

I am extremely sorry!

You need to get the phone opened to any network. From what you are sayin, the phone is locked to a network, which isn't O2
foxymac2020
Topics: 8
Kudos: 316
Best Answers: 68

newcomer
_nick

It must be locked to O2 as it has a Pay as you Go SIM installed which works fine.

I was under the impression all O2 locked phones work on GIff Gaff?

dannymorgan6783

Giffgaff SimCard will work in all O2 phones. Are you sure it was O2?

You could have touched the copper bit, resulting in your simcard not working. I would order a Nan SimCard and transfer your number over to it. :smileyhappy:
thesmellyone
Kudos: 1,112
Best Answers: 438

Firstly I don't necessarily think you damanaged the sim card. I cut mine with a sim cutter and then file down the edges so probably doing more damage than you and mine's been working for nearly 4 months now.

The carrier supported message you're getting is usually because the the phone is locked.

You say that the phone was prevuously working on O2 network. Was that via Tesco that it was from orginally?

Have you connected the phone to itunes by anychance?