Help & Support

newcomer
richardneville
Best Answer

Unable to connect to the proxy server (Android 4.1)

Has anyone else recently been getting intermittent messages saying "Unable to connect to the proxy server"?

I've been getting those messages browsing in Chrome on an Android Jellybean Samsung Note 2. Although the phone is a new purchase, I don't think the problem is with the device. It's been set up by texting "SETTINGS" to 2020. APN checked and correct.

Like I say, it's an intermittent problem, turning up one in five times I request a web page. First noticed on 20 Oct 2012.

Anyone had the same problem, or have a magic solution?
Topics: 79
Kudos: 285
Ideas: 54
Best Answers: 136

Re: Unable to connect to the proxy server (Android 4.1)

Hi, there were some loss of data issues since the 20th of october on Giffgaff. The tech team have fixed the issues, however they are still working on it as some members are still experiencing data problems.

Please see this guide for the latest update and enter your Username and Postcode here in the form:
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-N​otice-board/Loss-of-Data-Issue-20-10-2012/td-p/64.​..

In addition, please check the network coverage status of your area here:
http://status.o2.co.uk/

Try rebooting your phone too.
academic
teani

Its o2
they need to get there 3g sorted
beginner
jadedeex3

Try downloading dolphin browser
newcomer
richardneville

Could you repost that link to the form to check your username / postcode? The link seems to be broken. Thanks!
john1073
Topics: 143
Kudos: 237
Best Answers: 84

im on galaxy note 2 as well but it doeant matter what phone you have if your gonna have problems then your gonna have problems, we just need to sit tight and try be patient till its sorted, one minute my internet is fine and pages are loaded in a second, other times im staring at my screen for a minute before i get the dreaded proxy server message, it'll get fixed just a matter of waiting im affraid

newcomer
richardneville

Thanks john1073... good to know it's not something wrong with shiny new phone.

Disappointing that there seem to have been a few problems / outages on the O2/Giffgaff network recently!

newcomer
richardneville

As per the (broken) link above, I reckon I'm experiencing the issue noted on this thread. Still seems to be a live issue, not fully resolved in my area (North London).

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-Notice-board/Resolved-Loss-of-Data-Issue-20-10-2012...

rebelyell
Topics: 209
Kudos: 1,868
Ideas: 1
Best Answers: 433

richardneville wrote:

As per the (broken) link above, I reckon I'm experiencing the issue noted on this thread. Still seems to be a live issue, not fully resolved in my area (North London).

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-Notice-board/Resolved-Loss-of-Data-Issue-20-10-2012...

I'm in North London runninga phone with Jelly Bean and Chrome Browser and I've had no problems since Saturday's outage.  

Perhaps your APN settings aren't correct.  It wouldn't hurt to check them.  They should look like the following:

Go to:
System Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Access Point Name

Name: giffgaff
APN: giffgaff.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: giffgaff
Password: password
Server:
MMSC:
MMS proxy:
MMS port:
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN type: default

Not the the Proxy and Port fields are left blank.  If you have 193.113.200.195 and 8080 configured in there remove it. 

Your MMS Settings

Name: giffgaff - mms
APN: giffgaff.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username: giffgaff
Password: password
MMSC: http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002
MMS proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN type: mms

Make sure you save your settings

If you phone has an option to "use packet data" make sure this is checked on. 

newcomer
richardneville

Thanks rebelyell! I've seen lots of posts with proxy settings and port settings included, and some saying leave it blank.

Your post is the first one that actually makes it clear. Sure enough, the internet seems to work fine with no proxy settings (so far!).

If anyone knows WHY you don't need proxy settings (or why you actually do)... then please post the reason here.

Thanks!