Help & Support

newcomer
shosier
Best Answer

Will a Blackberry work on GiffGaff for non BB services?

Hi guys 'n' gals!

Hubby and I have both been on GiffGaff since spring and love it!  We have got our 2 eldest boys Blackberry Bold's for Christmas and were planning to put them on GiffGaff, BUT I see that the the release plans for BB servicess have been put back to January.

The phones are a surprise for the boys (their long-awaited first phones), and they have not experienced things like BBM before.  So, my question is:

If I order GiffGaff SIMs and put them in Blackberry handsets, will the phones work for normal calls/texts/mobile internet?  I know the BB-specific services won't be working until January or later, but if they can use the other features of the phones, then the boys will be more than happy to wait for BBM.  Our only other alternative is to set them up on another network and then port the number to GG in a month or 2, but if I can put them straight to GG then they will get free calls to most of the family (who are also on GG!)

Has anyone tried this?

Thank you!

Sarah

morvin

Re: Will a Blackberry work on GiffGaff for non BB services?

Yes most things work http://bit.ly/giffgaffblackberry

Download Whatsapp
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Please give 'KUDOS' if you like my post. If my answer helped then please click 'Accept as Solution'
kmp
Kudos: 206
Best Answers: 115

Yep, you can set up everything but BBM with various fixes for now - even the native browser works if you install the service book.

Fix them up with WhatsApp - a universal IM app - and they won't even notice they don't have BBM ;-)
helping the masses
weeman
Mobile Phone: Oppo Find 7a

styly
Topics: 624
Kudos: 3,666
Ideas: 15
Best Answers: 791

**LATEST BLACKBERRY NEWS**

Ok so, the latest news is, an Early January release, please read info in this link:
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates-Notice-board/Blackberry-Launch-Update-2/td-p/237596...

* the BlackBerry addon will only cost £3 extra but you WILL have to have an active goodybag present for data access purposes *

[FOR NOW]
until the official release, your BlackBerry Messenger will not work with giffgaff..
But you CAN set up your BlackBerry Browser and your BlackBerry AppWorld
Here's the step-by-step guide, which also tells you whats best to do with your BlackBerry Messenger:
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Styly-s-NEW-BlackBerry-Guide/td-p/1764745

Styly
"You can jail the Revolutionary, but you can never jail the Revolution"
MY GIFFGAFF FLYERS AND RECRUITING TIPS // NEW SIM ENVELOPE DESIGN - NO GLUE DOTS!!!
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
rudedog

hi Shosier, yes they can still use giffgaff without a full BB service. They can use this workaroud to access the internet

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/How-to-GiffGaff-a-Blackberry/td-p/12233

Please bear in mind that when the BB services do come live, the add on and goodybag must be purchased at the same time, so if a goodybag is active before the service is live, you will have to wait for this goodybag to expire before purchasing another with the add on :smileyhappy:

Reach for the stars if anyone has helped you :smileywink: Also Accept the best Solution :smileyhappy:
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Copy this code to your website to display this banner!
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Make your own banner at MyBannerMaker.com!
newcomer
shosier

Thank you all SOOO much!  The info and links that you all posted have really made it clear what will and won't work, so now I know we can can start the boys off on GiffGaff and add the BB services once they become available (subject to goodybag renewal dates).

Really impressed with the speed and detailed knowledge in all of the replies - I have given you all kudos because you deserve it!

Thank you!

Sarah