Help & Support

associate
samirah123
Mobile Phone: iPhone 4
Best Answer

free calls to pakistan

hi,

i read on a different post that if a gg member calls another gg member who is abroad, they can call them for free. i was unsure if it would cost the other member anything for receiving the call although they are gg members. i will be going pakistan in a few weeks therefore i need to know whether i will be charged so i know which network has lower roaming charges.

please kudos if you were wondering about the same thing

Samirah Zaid (Giffgaff Associate)
If you find my post helpful, would be nice if you could click on the star below my name to show appreciation:smileytongue::smileywink:

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
hg
head honcho
hg

Re: free calls to pakistan

giffgaff to giffgaff is free, yes, but the user abroad will have roaming fees to pay, for receiving / sending.

There was even a list somewhere in here of what the charges are.  If I find that, I'll add a link to it but, for now, the answer is yes, there will be a charge for receiving the call.

hg

counsellor
danielclo1il
Mobile Phone: iPhone 4 32GB White

Calling the EU and other selected countries

If you call any EU country, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, India, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Vatican City, Isle of Man, Channel Islands

Landline (per minute)8p
Mobile (per minute)16p
Texts

8p

Thanks
Dann

counsellor
danielclo1il
Mobile Phone: iPhone 4 32GB White

Roaming in the EU and other selected countries

If you call any EU country, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, India, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Vatican City, Isle of Man, Channel Islands

Calling anywhere (per minute)35p
Receiving a call (per minute)18p
Sending Texts anywhere11p
Receiving texts from anywhereFree
Thanks
Dann

chaperon
peeter

samirah123 wrote:

hi,

i read on a different post that if a gg member calls another gg member who is abroad, they can call them for free. i was unsure if it would cost the other member anything for receiving the call although they are gg members. i will be going pakistan in a few weeks therefore i need to know whether i will be charged so i know which network has lower roaming charges.

please kudos if you were wondering about the same thing

Receiving a call while in Pakistan costs 18p/minute

marvel
andy0

[ Edited ]

peeter wrote:

I strongly suspect this assumption would be wrong.

There are some tariffs on that front page which I think need a bit of attention for checking, which I already sent in a message about, for example I might doubt that India and POakistan are 35p to call while roaming in Europe,

But those are separate points, and you certainly made me look again, but it doesn't actually say there that roaming is 18p incoming in Pakistan. I think it will be £1 a minute

In any case, the cheapest way to do this is get a local Pakistan SIM card, then the person in the UK can use giffgaff to call it for 8 pence a minute, correction 16p for Pakistan mobiles

chaperon
peeter

andy0 wrote:

peeter wrote:

I strongly suspect this assumption would be wrong.

There are some tariffs on that front page which I think need a bit of attention for checking, which I already sent in a message about, for example I might doubt that India and POakistan are 35p to call while roaming in Europe,

But those are separate points, and you certainly made me look again, but it doesn't actually say there that roaming is 18p incoming in Pakistan. I think it will be £1 a minute

In any case, the cheapest way to do this is get a local Pakistan SIM card, then the person in the UK can use giffgaff to call it for 8 pence a minute

I happily accept your superior knowledge:smileyhappy: I do however think that anyone reading that info would think exactly what I did, so it's somewhat ambiguous and may need tweaking.

I agree that a local SIM is usually the best choice

simon69c
Topics: 7
Kudos: 454
Best Answers: 71

andy0 wrote:

In any case, the cheapest way to do this is get a local Pakistan SIM card, then the person in the UK can use giffgaff to call it for 8 pence a minute

The Prices page is pretty unambiguous about roaming charges in Pakistan - as daniel posted above, it uses the "EU rates" (18p/min incoming).

However I would completely agree that it will probably be cheaper overall to get a local SIM and call that instead.

Get a free Giffgaff SIM / microSIM
marvel
andy0

simon69c wrote:

andy0 wrote:

The Prices page is pretty unambiguous about roaming charges in Pakistan - as daniel posted above, it uses the "EU rates" (18p/min incoming).

The heading phrase is Roaming in the EU and other selected countries

Unfortunately it doesn't even specify the other selected countries at all, so it absolutely certainly doesn't say Pakistan is one of them

Perhaps you're looking at the destination countries, which I suspect is a mistake, and as I said I've reported that and a couple of other points for review

maestro
commsyeo

[ Edited ]

andy0 wrote:

simon69c wrote:

andy0 wrote:

The heading phrase is Roaming in the EU and other selected countries

Unfortunately it doesn't even specify the other selected countries at all, so it absolutely certainly doesn't say Pakistan is one of them

Perhaps you're looking at the destination countries, which I suspect is a mistake, and as I said I've reported that and a couple of other points for review

What is says is:

Roaming in the EU and other selected countries

Calling anywhere (per minute)35p
Receiving a call (per minute)18p
Sending Texts anywhere11p
Receiving texts from anywhereFree

I think there is a typo and it should read "If you use your giffgaff phone in any EU country" etc.

My bold.

CY