Help & Support

newcomer
nikki12345
Best Answer

how long does it take to activate the sim card

Hi I am trying to activate a sim card. It has been well over an hour and nothing not even the number has come up. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

Thank you N :smileyhappy:

pioneer
jlawes20389

Re: how long does it take to activate the sim card

Give it a little longer, the sims can take upto 24 hours to fully activate although it is usually quicker than this. When your number appears in the 'my giffgaff' page you should be good to go
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
steward
triyanw

Our friends said could take up to 24 hours, alternatively if you havent got any luck after that, contact an agent
Please click the Star on the left if I helped you
Cheers
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
seer
giffgafful

Can take up to 24 hours, although usually faster.

yaakov1
Topics: 219
Kudos: 1,611
Best Answers: 348
Mobile Phone: iPad 3 on a gigabag
rayhoo
Topics: 24
Kudos: 4,254

nikki12345 wrote:

Hi I am trying to activate a sim card. It has been well over an hour and nothing not even the number has come up. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions?

It can take anything from 30 minutes to 24 hrs.  Take a look in MY Payment History to make your payment was accepted first.  It may save some waiting time.

General note: To recover forgotten username, e-mail address and password, text "Pass" to 43430

Buy a goodybag from your airtime balance       Start your next goodybag today

Get a free giffgaff Sim
pioneer
granttt

Are you sure you have activated it? You've topped it up, right? :smileyhappy: ..

grand master
trudiw

[ Edited ]

There were problems over the weekend, but it can take over an hour sometimes anyway so the only thing to do is wait I'm afraid, you could try refreshing the page :smileyhappy:

Kudos: 5,240
Best Answers: 583

Hi

Have you topped up (needed to complete the activation)?

If yes then it is usually within 30 mins but can theoretically take 24 hours :smileysad:

There were also some system problems re activation recently.

I would wait and see for the moment.

rayhoo
Topics: 24
Kudos: 4,254

nikki12345 wrote:

Did you register and top up your sim as follows?

1. Log in to your account
2. Click on this link when you've read the following:    http://giffgaff.com/activate-sim
3. Enter your 6 digit Activation Code in CAPITALS. Ensure all letters and numbers are correctly entered as it is case sensitive (you'll find the Activation Code on the card that the sim was attached to). If the code fails, then you can register using the the serial number on the back of your simcard.
4. Redeem your top-up voucher number (a minimum of £10.00, unless you ordered your sim directly from the website and not by referral, in which case you can top up by £5.00, or buy a £5.00 goodybag), or fill in your bank details exactly as they appear on the card (including MR or MRS etc) You can use a giffgaff, or an O2 voucher using the redeem your voucher box on the right of the page.
    (If you get a message saying "Voucher already used" then just try a little later as the system hasn't yet updated since you purchased your voucher).
You now have successfully registered your new giffgaff SIM card. 
  If you don't intend buying a goodybag right now, then to double check that your registration is going ahead smoothly, go to My giffgaff, look in My Payment History to see if your payment was accepted.  I yes, then switch your phone on and wait for your sim to become live.   
It can take from within 2 hrs., up to 24 hrs. for the sim to become active.
    When the sim is fully active, you will find your number, and your balance in My giffgaff.
    If you register after 10.00pm, the activation process will not commence until the following day.
Note: Don't discard your 6 digit code until you have received you phone number as you may need it again if activation was unsuccessful.

General note: To recover forgotten username, e-mail address and password, text "Pass" to 43430

Buy a goodybag from your airtime balance       Start your next goodybag today

Get a free giffgaff Sim