Help & Support

newcomer
garrymarsland

iPhone 3GS jailbroken but not unlocked from vodaphone

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of moving over to giffgaff from Vodaphone on my iPhone 3GS.  The phone is locked into Vodaphone's network, so I've jailbroken it using the latest absinthe version for iOS 1.5.1

I've updated the settings to point at giffgaff's infrastructure at Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network which all seems correct and restarted the phone a couple of times (in the hope that would help)

I've also activated the sim with the giffgaff site and received an email saying it's all been done.

However my phone still displays 'No service' and won't connect to the network.  If I go into Setings > General > About it still displays the carrier as 'vodaphone UK 12.0'

So I'm assuming that jailbreaking the phone doesn't unlock it automatically, and was wondering if anyone could help me in unlocking it completely for use on the giffgaff network.

Do I need to download an app from the Cydia store or something?  Searching for 'unlock' or 'sim' yields thousands of themes which aren't very useful for my situation.  :-)

Thanks for your help.

locksmith
Kudos: 349

Re: iPhone 3GS jailbroken but not unlocked from vodaphone

Jailbreak does NOT unlock .... you would be better just to pay Voda to unlock it ... they might even do it for free ... depends on whether you were contract / payasyougo etc etc.

Network unlock is the best way to do it as anything else tends to be temporary and may relock during an IOS upgrade.

newcomer
garrymarsland

Thanks for your reply locksmith.

I'm not too worried about the unlock resetting after an IOS upgrade, as I wouldn't upgrade until I was sure there would be an unlock for that version.

I'm not sure Vodaphone are going to do it for free, but I'll give them a try if you think the unlock process isn't worth my hassle. I'm quite happy to give it a go myself if it saves me a few quid.

If I was to do it myself, would you have any starting pointers for me?

Many thanks
sullyman524
Topics: 163
Kudos: 640
Best Answers: 165

you will need to unlock with vodafone

Have I helped? If yes, please give me KUDOS, this is to the left of the post underneath my name.If I have solved your problem or answered your question, please click accept as solution on my post
Get a free giffgaff Sim
trainee
perobinson

Hi,

I brought my 3GS from Vodafone to GiffGaff last year. Vodafone unlocked it for free - they are happy to do so once the initial contract has run its course. That's the way I would go, as you can then use iTunes to update to the latest iOS as and when it's made available.

Cheers,  Phil

Cheers, Phil

Get a free giffgaff Sim
novice
serena1987

The contract doesn't need to be finished (I did mine two weeks ago). Search for the NUC form on vodafones website, submit it with the details (name/phone number) that was used when phone was bought and they will send you an email. They will send you another email later to tell you that the phone has been unlocked and connect it to iTunes to complete the process. If the phone was contract it will be free, if it was PAYG there is a charge. I believe you can pay this by card. The process take a couple of days but safer than gettin it done locally.
as7861
Kudos: 3,655
Best Answers: 896

garrymarsland wrote:

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of moving over to giffgaff from Vodaphone on my iPhone 3GS.  The phone is locked into Vodaphone's network, so I've jailbroken it using the latest absinthe version for iOS 1.5.1

I've updated the settings to point at giffgaff's infrastructure at Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data Network which all seems correct and restarted the phone a couple of times (in the hope that would help)

I've also activated the sim with the giffgaff site and received an email saying it's all been done.

However my phone still displays 'No service' and won't connect to the network.  If I go into Setings > General > About it still displays the carrier as 'vodaphone UK 12.0'

So I'm assuming that jailbreaking the phone doesn't unlock it automatically, and was wondering if anyone could help me in unlocking it completely for use on the giffgaff network.

Do I need to download an app from the Cydia store or something?  Searching for 'unlock' or 'sim' yields thousands of themes which aren't very useful for my situation.  :-)

Thanks for your help.

Hey, 

Can you tell me what baseband you have by going to settings > general > about and scrolling down to modem firmware and telll me those numbers please :smileyhappy:

Thank you:smileyhappy: 

newcomer
garrymarsland

Thanks for the responses everyone, I've filled in the form on the Vodaphone site for an unlock as suggested by serena1987.

I'll give that a go and see how things turn out.

Thanks again.

locksmith
Kudos: 349

garrymarsland wrote:

Thanks for the responses everyone, I've filled in the form on the Vodaphone site for an unlock as suggested by serena1987.

I'll give that a go and see how things turn out.

Thanks again.

That's defo the way to go as I said.

Quite honestly you could pay £10 or £15 to supposedly get it unlocked at Honest Johns unlock shop only to find it relocks i.e. £15 / £20 down the drain.

On the basis that I have never heard of Voda charging any more than £20 (or it might even be free) that's defo the way to go.

Good luck.

newcomer
jimarcher

Hi Gary

A couple of things:

1.Vodafone will only unlock it if you were the original contract holder or if you bought it from them on PAYG

2.If you bought it from ebay, you will have to pay an unlocking company to get it unlocked, this is more expensive.

3.A lot of FUD is spread here - once an iPhone is factory unlocked it cannot be re-locked (Whether it is done by Vodafone themselves or an unlocking company).

4.Only website I can recommend to unlock your handset is the one recommended by modmyi.com - 

http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-activation/805633-how-factory-imei-unlock-iphone-t-3.html