Help & Support

newcomer
mhairidavidsonxx
Best Answer

iPhone 4

Hi just put my giff gaff sim in an O2 iPhone4 I can't seem to get any network for calling texting or Internet without being connected to wifi does this mean the phone is only locked to O2 SIM cards I was told that the phone had been unlocked from the shop I purchased the phone from, is there anything I can do to get the phone working?
phenomenon
natty88

Re: iPhone 4

Type texting then word settings to 2020
Get a free giffgaff SimGet 5 pounds free click banner
phenomenon
natty88

Also remember can take upto 24hrs for new activations to fully update
qasimmx
Topics: 21
Kudos: 300
Best Answers: 24

You might not have the internet settings or your phone may be locked to one network.
phenomenon
natty88

Or via wifi download the giffgaff app from app store will get settings as well
timwilliams25
Topics: 12
Kudos: 315
Best Answers: 75

[ Edited ]

Apple iPhones often liked to be synced with iTunes when a new sim card is inserted.  I would suggested you switch phone off, remove sim card, connect your phone to iTunes, ideally on a PC/Laptop through a cable, then insert your sim and switch on phone (whilst connected by cable to iTunes) - see if that works?

Where did you buy your iPhone from originally, if it was Apple, then no worries, it will not be locked.  If you had it from another source then it may have locked to first sim you inserted, if so, what network where you on before giffgaff?  If O2, then should be ok, but if something else, then may be locked and syncing may not work, you may need to contact the network you were with and they will unlock for a fee - normally in region of about £20.

Hope it does help?

Tim

mhairidavidsonxx wrote:
Hi just put my giff gaff sim in an O2 iPhone4 I can't seem to get any network for calling texting or Internet without being connected to wifi does this mean the phone is only locked to O2 SIM cards I was told that the phone had been unlocked from the shop I purchased the phone from, is there anything I can do to get the phone working?

dalan
Topics: 117
Kudos: 5,644
Best Answers: 4,029

Hi
Gg also works on O2 locked phones. If you have just activated your sim, it can take up to 24 hours.
Try switching off your phone. Make surs the sim is inserted correctly. Then connect your phone to itunes via a pc. And let itunes switch on your phone.

You will also need to enter the gg settings into your phone.

Gg iphone settings.

Please note these settings are due to change soon.

Changes to iphone settings from 10th Feb
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/News-Announcements/Settings-change-for-iPhone-users-10th-Feb-2014/m...

If you have wifi, you can download the giffgaff app. This can set your apn settings for you, but you will need to set your mms settings manually. Or you can enter all the settings manually. See here.

IOS 7
Settings~Mobile~Mobile Data Network
Settings~Cellular~Cellular Data Network

IOS 6Settings~General~Mobile Data~Mobile Data Network
Settings~General~Cellular Data~Cellular Data Network

Then enter the settings below.

APN ... giffgaff.com
Username ... vertigo
Password ... password
Visual Voicemail (just leave as is, giffgaff do not support visual voicemail)

MMS

APN ... giffgaff.com
Username ... vertigo
Password ... password
MMSC http://mmsc.mediamessaging.co.uk:8002/
MMS Proxy 82.132.254.1:8080
Max message size 2097152
MMS UA Prof URL (just leave blank)
Do NOT press the " Reset Settings " button when you’ve done this.

Once the settings are in, turn your iphone off ( via the red slider ) till the screen is completely blank. Then reboot. If you do not see the apple logo, the settings will not stick.

Then, press Settings /Messages and ensure that MMS Messaging button is set to ON.

In settings messages turn imessages on.

Please also ensure that the Enable 3G button and the Mobile Data button are set to ON.

Then Settings /Phone And check My Number is correct

Go to Settings /Carrier and switch automatic On. The carrier should then show O2-UK

Also note that Picture messages cost 16p and are not included in any goodybags.

Also the mms must be kept under 300 kb in file size.

To set up imessage.

Make sure you are running the latest ios software.
Select settings
Select messages
Enable imessage
You should see a message saying activating
Scroll the page up. You will see.
Send and receive. Click on addresses.
On that page you will see your phone numbers and email addresses.
Thats it.

You may also find this link very helpful

http://bit.ly/K95m1N

If your iDevice keeps resetting the data settings to something other than giffgaff, use the gg app and go to more. Install the settings from that, it will send a settings profile to your phone. That should work.

If I helped click ''solutions and kudos'' thanks.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click Banner Above For A Free Sim Or Micro Sim With £5 Credit.
newcomer
mhairidavidsonxx

I don't have access to a laptop or pc unfortunately! Ill try download the giff gaff application I don't seem to have any signal atall and it won't let me send the message settings?
bruno0059
Kudos: 81
Best Answers: 37

go to settings-general-about-carrier. what does it say?
if you can try to use your sim card in different mobile. if it is working that's mean it is definitely your phone's fault.
last but not least check your imei as it may be blacklisted. go to www.checkmend.com/uk to do that
newcomer
mhairidavidsonxx

I have previously used the sim in a Samsung galaxy s3 I then dropped & broke this phone I then bought this from my mates shop, and it says in the carrier O2 13.0?